Negotiating salary

They mislead me with the hours and salary leaving my other job which I would have gotten a raise in.

Here’s what made me so pissed. They lured me into coaching which I really wanted to do. They said they would give me hours. And basically my pay will be determined from working a trial 8 hours of coaching. So I worked 8 hours for free coaching basketball and then 8 more hours free doing PE for thier other program. And I was in the dark about the actual pay they were so ambiguous and say it’s based on my performance and experience. But really they just give everyone 300 to start off no matter what. And the hours were suppose to be 25hrs a week. It became 16-20. So basically they tricked me into filling in to work 16 hours to work for free as “training”. But luckily I’m starting my own school with my partner who is a pro player that had established a program already and will have me take over expending it into a basketball academy and taking over the head coaching position as he wants to focus on playing pro ball more. So basically we will be directly competing against my last program. Which makes me all the motivated.

its how it goes here. bosses are sneaky, you gotta look out for yourself or you are gonna be like the locals, working away their free time - unpaid.

A great life lesson. Basically most employers are scum here.

Does anyone know if companies typically ask prospective employees for proof of their current salary? What’s your experience when you told them how much you currently make in an interview/application - did they ask for proof or not?

Never tell them. If they ask, simply state that your current contract of employment stipulates that you do not share your salary information and that you take your contractual obligations seriously.

Congratulations! Edit: just realized I replied to a post that is older than the kids you were teaching:-). So belated congrats.

That’s none of their business. You shouldn’t lie in a job interview, but they shouldn’t come asking for “proof” that you’re making what you said you’re making. There are ways around “lying” of course, by giving ranges that aren’t too ridiculous. “My current employer offers new hires 60-90k/month and up to 10k raises at each performance review” can be a response instead of “I am making x/year”. Or you can point out what salaries you’ve seen posted for other similar positions, assuming they’re in a good range.

1 Like

I like this advice. Thanks. :+1:t2:

I am usually pretty open about what I made and what my expectations are. Avoids wasting time. Increasingly in the US, companies are posting (very large) salary ranges, which helps narrow the job search focus. But, yeah, if you are not comfortable disclosing past salary, then could focus on what your expectations are.