"Netflix coming to Taiwan in early 2016"

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/ast/201509090009.aspx

I can finally now get girls to come over and watch Netflix and chill

You can invite them over to watch now if you’re willing to pay. For Netflix, not the girls of course. :wink:

I use Unlocator to unblock my IP, but it costs $50/year. I think there are free services like Hola that others have mentioned works well in the past. Never tried it but Unlocator works well and is stable.

I prefer DNS unblocking to using a VPN because it doesn’t restrict your bandwidth and you don’t have to mess with turning it on/off.

House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, and now Narcos is what I’ve been watching on Netflix. Their original series are pretty good but the movies are just OK. Planet Earth series is also on Netflix so I’ll probably dive into that after I finish learning about the tons and tons of cocaine that Pablo Escobar smuggled into the US.

I’d have been quite excited about this a couple of months back, but I just spent some time in Canada and made use of my parents’ Netflix subscription - and I wasn’t impressed. Not at all. It seemed like 70% of films that I actually searched for weren’t available; you pretty much have to browse and hope you stumble upon something you half-remembered wanting to watch. It’s a good service if you want to watch their TV shows, but for film, blech.

I just wish other services would get up to speed with subtitles in multiple languages - it sounds like Netflix at least is going in the right direction here, although I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m perfectly happy (ok, grudgingly happy) to buy stuff from the iTunes store. However, very few films, and no TV shows, have Chinese subtitles, which means for my wife watching TV is too much like homework. And other, er, options are so much easier to use subtitles with.

[quote=“lostinasia”]I’d have been quite excited about this a couple of months back, but I just spent some time in Canada and made use of my parents’ Netflix subscription - and I wasn’t impressed. Not at all. It seemed like 70% of films that I actually searched for weren’t available; you pretty much have to browse and hope you stumble upon something you half-remembered wanting to watch. It’s a good service if you want to watch their TV shows, but for film, blech.

I just wish other services would get up to speed with subtitles in multiple languages - it sounds like Netflix at least is going in the right direction here, although I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m perfectly happy (ok, grudgingly happy) to buy stuff from the iTunes store. However, very few films, and no TV shows, have Chinese subtitles, which means for my wife watching TV is too much like homework. And other, er, options are so much easier to use subtitles with.[/quote]
Try the one-two punch of Hola (hola.org) with Flixsearch FKA Neflix Around The World (flixsearch.io/). Download the Hola plug-in, then search for the film/show you want through flixsearch, then change your browser to the country of choice.

Let us know how it went for you!

Netflix is now available here - several plans, with the median one NTD330/month. You get a free month at the start.

The movie selection is rather poor; TV selection is OK. Best part is the Netflix-own series: “Master of None”, “Jessica Jones”, etc.

The few things I’ve looked at do have options for Traditional Chinese subtitles, so that’s cool.

No Star Trek series. No “Breaking Bad”. It does have “Jane the Virgin”, which I’ve heard good things about. There’s “Black Mirror” and “Better Call Saul”. The only Coen Brothers film is “True Grit”; the only Ian McKellen films are the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy and “Flushed Away”.

One of these days I’ll get around to using a VPN again and seeing what options that opens up with Netflix (i.e. Netflix USA) on my computer and on my TV.

A life-changer, no, but a nice addition to what’s available. It’ll keep me busy for six months or so, but I’m not sure if I’ll continue beyond that.

I’ve been signed up to Netflix for most of the past year via my UK Paypal account. I use it in conjunction with Tunnelbear (paid VPN) and a website called flixsearch.io, which is very good at figuring out which movies or TV shows are available in which international regions. It means if you don’t have a movie or show available on your own Netflix, there’s a decent chance it will be available in somewhere else’s.

I don’t mind flipping between different parts of the world in order to follow different shows or movies because changing region using Tunnelbear is but a click away. It throttles your bandwidth, for sure, but not to any great degree I’ve noticed. But then again I don’t have a TV, and watch primarily on my iPad and less frequently on my Macbook.

I’d been hoping it would be considerably cheaper here than in the UK, but that’s not the case, alas. The difference in price is slight.

[quote=“lostinasia”]Netflix is now available here - several plans, with the median one NTD330/month. You get a free month at the start.

The movie selection is rather poor; TV selection is OK. Best part is the Netflix-own series: “Master of None”, “Jessica Jones”, etc.

The few things I’ve looked at do have options for Traditional Chinese subtitles, so that’s cool.

No Star Trek series. No “Breaking Bad”. It does have “Jane the Virgin”, which I’ve heard good things about. There’s “Black Mirror” and “Better Call Saul”. The only Coen Brothers film is “True Grit”; the only Ian McKellen films are the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy and “Flushed Away”.

One of these days I’ll get around to using a VPN again and seeing what options that opens up with Netflix (i.e. Netflix USA) on my computer and on my TV.

A life-changer, no, but a nice addition to what’s available. It’ll keep me busy for six months or so, but I’m not sure if I’ll continue beyond that.[/quote]

I’m interested to sign up in Taiwan primarily because of the subtitles. Seems not ideal though but I’ll try one month subscription.

[quote=“lostinasia”]Netflix is now available here - several plans, with the median one NTD330/month. You get a free month at the start.

A life-changer, no, but a nice addition to what’s available. It’ll keep me busy for six months or so, but I’m not sure if I’ll continue beyond that.[/quote]
That’s funny, because here in the US of A folks (i.e. my sister) constantly complain about the lack of selections we have. In 'Murica we generally prefer Netflix Canada or UK (which not only has breaking bad, but also better call saul (which we don’t get domestically)).

Having said that, congrats! Netflix is one of the great gifts of life.

Also, like I mentioned above, we don’t really pay to change regions here but instead use Hola.org. Hopefully it’ll work magic for you guys too:

[quote=“Rockefeller”]
Try the one-two punch of Hola (hola.org) with Flixsearch FKA Neflix Around The World (flixsearch.io/). Download the Hola plug-in, then search for the film/show you want through flixsearch, then change your browser to the country of choice.

Let us know how it went for you![/quote]

:slight_smile: can anyone with Netflix in Taiwan confirm if they have HBO’s “The Wire” seasons 1-5?

No, they don’t - when I search on flixsearch.io, it looks like Netflix doesn’t have “The Wire” in any country.

There’s probably no fully legitimate way to see “The Wire” here - you’ll need to order DVDs from overseas and get a grey-market player, or download from iTunes in a different country, and once again that’s violating terms of service. I’m not sure what options there are for watching HBO Go here - I’d guess once again you’ve got grey market/semi-illegal VPN options.

And “The Wire” remains the greatest show I’ve ever seen, so if you haven’t watched it yet, I highly recommend it.

That’s a bummer, but thanks for checking into it for me. I’ve seen them all already but a very, very long time ago. I’d love to re-watch it with my girlfriend but with all the “slang” you kind of need the Mandarin subtitles. HBO Signature Asia has been showing them in Taiwan but at times that are not convenient and also not season 1. I’ll continue the search. :s

[quote=“lostinasia”]

No Star Trek series. No “Breaking Bad”. It does have “Jane the Virgin”, which I’ve heard good things about. There’s “Black Mirror” and “Better Call Saul”. [/quote]

Was watching Breaking Bad on it last night, with Chinese subtitles.

Was watching Breaking Bad on it last night, with Chinese subtitles.[/quote]
Yup. It wasn’t there for the first couple of days, and then it was added (I posted that in one of the four or five Netflix threads this board has going). That at least gives me hope that other things will show up soon.

On The Wire and language: hell, I needed the English subtitles through a lot of it. For that matter I guess when Breaking Bad gets to Spanish-language scenes there may be a problem with Netflix Taiwan - can you have both English and Chinese subs?

My sister’s new favorite Netflix region: Luxembourg. “It’s got everything!”

[quote=“SuperS54”][quote=“lostinasia”]

No Star Trek series. No “Breaking Bad”. It does have “Jane the Virgin”, which I’ve heard good things about. There’s “Black Mirror” and “Better Call Saul”. [/quote]

Was watching Breaking Bad on it last night, with Chinese subtitles.[/quote]

Question: any censorship regarding language/nudity/etc. in Taiwan’s Netflix?

Haven’t noticed any, certainly seem to be none in Spartacus. Why not simply sign up for your free month and check yourself?

Signed up last night and as we aren’t going very far next week I thought I binge watching day might be in order. Can’t imagine paying for the service as the selection is slim at best. Some kids shows but they never have time for TV.

Hope one day we’ll have access to a service that can offer the convenience that torrents can’t.

[quote=“kelake”]Signed up last night and as we aren’t going very far next week I thought I binge watching day might be in order. Can’t imagine paying for the service as the selection is slim at best. Some kids shows but they never have time for TV.

Hope one day we’ll have access to a service that can offer the convenience that torrents can’t.[/quote]
Netflix subscription + Unlocator + iPad, and stream from iPad to TV through Apple TV, is something I’m currently in love with. I had no idea Netflix USA had all the old X-Files episodes in widescreen HD, which is great, because I basically left North America early in that show’s run so there are several good seasons I never saw.

I’m not sure what convenient options there are for those who aren’t already embedded in the Apple ecosystem.

But yes, if you’re using just the Taiwan selection, there’s probably enough good Netflix-only content for just a month or two. The selection is pretty dire beyond the Netflix originals.

However, from the sounds of it all the different networks and studios are thinking of creating their own streaming services, so I suspect even Netflix USA’s current selection is as good as it’s ever going to get. For example, Doctor Who just left that service, quite likely because the BBC wants to reserve it for their own as-yet nonexistent streaming service.

Haven’t got the time to sit down and enjoy. :frowning: Hopefully I will during the break.