Never heard of rainy season?

I also agree it is largely to do with the weather so many rainy days change people’s habits. I rode to work every day for about two years but stopped last fall because it was just too wet to persist and I think I’m pretty hardened to the weather.

Cycling is not just on the rise in Taiwan, it is a worldwide fad:

Purely as a reference:

I had a flat rear tire on my motorcycle and was being served as soon as I came in.
Somehow always the same guy drops whatever he is doing and starts working on my bike.
Almost makes me feel I have a personal mechanic there, which is a good thing.

A new inner tube took him at least 30 minutes.
I was done for 650 NT. (15 Euro) :bravo:
I left singing and happy.
(The singing part while driving lol, I am not that nuts).

[quote=“cfimages”][quote=“itakitez”]:lol: @chris :laughing:

I have totally different experiences, maybe its the bike?

The bike shops I know and use are all very friendly, they know I wont buy a new bike, but if they fix my bike without charge I add them to my brain list of where to buy my next addition - maybe new headlight, or bike bag, or helmet for the wife… I popped into 2 the other day because a nut fell off my bike and they gave it over for free

of course if you go in with a rust heap and broken bottom bracket and want it fixed and he tells you that you need a new bike, then thats a different matter. Also, if its obvious you aint gonna spend any money there, why would they help for free?[/quote]

Got a recommended store up your way? I need a new chain and couple of other minor things done.[/quote]

The bike shop on Muxing road Section 2 south side has great service. The guy knows what he is doing and is friendly and cheap.

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“cfimages”][quote=“itakitez”]:lol: @chris :laughing:

I have totally different experiences, maybe its the bike?

The bike shops I know and use are all very friendly, they know I wont buy a new bike, but if they fix my bike without charge I add them to my brain list of where to buy my next addition - maybe new headlight, or bike bag, or helmet for the wife… I popped into 2 the other day because a nut fell off my bike and they gave it over for free

of course if you go in with a rust heap and broken bottom bracket and want it fixed and he tells you that you need a new bike, then thats a different matter. Also, if its obvious you aint gonna spend any money there, why would they help for free?[/quote]

Got a recommended store up your way? I need a new chain and couple of other minor things done.[/quote]

The bike shop on Muxing road Section 2 south side has great service. The guy knows what he is doing and is friendly and cheap.[/quote]

Thanks MM but need one on the other side of town. My wife’s new job means we’re moving to Hongshulin next week to save her from a 75 min commute each way.

[quote=“engerim”]Few days ago I finally bought a Android phone (I didn’t go for the Nexus One after all but bought a HTC Tattoo and I’m quite happy with it). What I did was this:

1. Written on a paper (in Chinese): Do you have HTC Tattoo?
  2. Written on a second paper (in Chinese): How much if cash?
  3. Walk around Nova, showing the paper and end up very quickly with prices of 11900, 10500, 9800, 9600, two stores with 9100 for it. Sometimes they just said “No”, sometimes when searching for it to show it to me I just showed them the “How much if cash” paper.
  4. I ended up buying it at the store that accepted to sell it for 9000 instead of 9100.[/quote]

Oops, you could have got the same phone on contract for less than that and including a calling plan, even taking the 12 month contract plan into account.