New Costco Cathay credit card

Because of my location, about a 40 minute drive, I would never buy something I can’t fit into a car at Costco. First, their delivery fees are bordering on criminal. Second, I worry about the hassle if there was a problem with the purchase.

Don’t get spooked. It’s not just the credit card problem you will face. It’s everything from cell phones, customer service, promotions, driver’s licenses, professional licenses, you name. Your entitled to almost all of these services but the lower end people just panic, go dumb or don’t want to deal with it. You have to go up to the top and annoy them. Walk away from one fight, you might as well just go home.

An aside… has anyone applied for something or prepare for a customer service battle expecting a fight, immediately won here. Kind of take the wind out of your sails, doesn’t it. Just don’t get spooked.

Because of my location, about a 40 minute drive, I would never buy something I can’t fit into a car at Costco. First, their delivery fees are bordering on criminal. Second, I worry about the hassle if there was a problem with the purchase.[/quote]

Yep, even though they have the best return policy on The Island, sometimes it is a hassle taking stuff back and forth.

I was rejected. I can’t believe it! I’ve had over ten years good credit with We are Family Card. Cathy wants me to have a few million dollars in an account in my name!Then I can have the bloody card. I asked my wife if was due to my lower personal income. I’m kind of the stay at home dad and work out of my home. But NO, wife said it was a Foreigner thing , not an income thing. . I guess I can fight it but… no. I’m tired. Tired of fighting…

I’ll will just use my “We are Family”, American express card. Thanks guys for letting me know that AMEX is an option. But I probably won’t get my reward points that I used to get with the Costco card. :frowning: Oh well.

Nope lets put a stop to this discriminatory practice right now (assuming youre so inclined)

I would first email Costco Taiwan and let them know… then email Costco USA if they still won’t play ball.

I wouldn’t argue, just a simple email to Costco. Thats crazy, since you have an existing good credit history.

Exactly. And there is a precedent: how many of us furriners on Forumosa have gotten the card? 6? All over Taipei? 50? All over Taiwan? If income and credit history is not a problem THEY are wrong to deny it. If it was all of us without cards then it might be logical to expect a no, but since there are many others having cards, a simple “you are foreigner” is not explanation enough.

[quote=“navillus”]I see there is one option missing from your poll. “Expressed interest in a card but was outright refused because of having the wrong skin color and too big a nose.”

To be fair, I didn’t really want a card anyway, but wasn’t even asked about salary or credit history. Just told no by the folks aggravating all customers as they enter and exit Costco.[/quote]

I didn’t have a problem with my being a big nose. The guy asked me if I wanted to apply as I was going in I said see me on the way out. They pretty much hound people to apply for the visa card.

Filled in the forms, got call from Cathay Bank a day later and all good to go. The staff at the counters where you fill in the applications don’t make the decision anyway.

[quote=“Jisatsu Sākuru”][quote=“navillus”]I see there is one option missing from your poll. “Expressed interest in a card but was outright refused because of having the wrong skin color and too big a nose.”

To be fair, I didn’t really want a card anyway, but wasn’t even asked about salary or credit history. Just told no by the folks aggravating all customers as they enter and exit Costco.[/quote]

I didn’t have a problem with my being a big nose. The guy asked me if I wanted to apply as I was going in I said see me on the way out. They pretty much hound people to apply for the visa card.

Filled in the forms, got call from Cathay Bank a day later and all good to go. The staff at the counters where you fill in the applications don’t make the decision anyway.[/quote]

The staff at the counter usually don’t let foreigners even try to apply.
But the problem is that the one poster who applied was told no, you need a lot of money in your account to apply which is obviously wrong.

If at least the people at the counter said: “look, we need copies of your passport, not only your ARC/APRC -like they told me- so please fill the form and take it with the respective documentation to the nearest Cathay office near you”, that would seem reasonable. To even deny people the right to fill out a form is terrible customer service and they should be denounced to their superiors in Cathay Bank and with Costco offices in Taiwan/US.

The guy who was denied was extremely unlucky to meet such unreasonableness. He’s a business owner, has enough assets to stand for himself. Moreover, he has impeccable credit history. Obviously, he is applying to some neck in the wood, backwater, behind the times, inept office that has not received -or rather, bothered to read- the memo regarding the flexibility to accept foreigners by Cathay. remember initially they were indeed saying that we needed all 3 million nts and who knows what? But then CATHAY decided to take in all foreigners/people who had been with Chinatrust Costco before. This is the argument he can make, aside from the fact that several of us can show our cards in our wallets as proof that Catahy does give cards to foreigners who do not have 3 million in the bank. It is not his fault the closest Cathay office to him is not up to speed and plagued with lazy employees.

I was hounded by the staff near the front entrance I hadn’t even walked in yet. The young guy was all over me like a bad rash and wanting to make sure I spoke with him on the way out. On the way out there he was, and rushed up to me with forms in hand, guided me to the counter where I had a nice chat with the staff. I went in the early afternoon so maybe with less people there. So one poster was told no and he should have contested that. There are many branches of Costco and many different staff at these Visa application counters.

I see several others have ticked that they also got cards from Cathay.

Update? I took the advice of this forum and sent a comment to Costco explaining that having more than a million dollars on deposite is overkill and that despite having an more than 10 year good credit history with credit cards here in Taiwan, they should only ask for a security deposite a little over the line of credit that I’m seeking if they really don’t trust me.
Surprise! I got a call from the membership director of Costco. He was surprised at the amount I was asked to deposite. I told him that it’s usual foreigner discrimination. He then got more info from my wife and pledged to look into it. The next week I got another phone call from him saying that I was approved and that the bank had spoken with my wife.
When I told my wife that evening, she said that she spoke to no one. Her cell phone had been out of power all day. Stay tuned.

Sent from my GN800 using Tapatalk

Good for you. If Costco said you were approved then the card should arrive shortly. Hopefully they think twice now before trying that again.

I applied almost 2 weeks ago and the branch took my info and said it should be no problem but I haven’t heard a thing yet. I’m hoping its just backlog.

Please keep us posted.

Is there some way to get the bank to speak to you directly instead of going through your wife? Since the beef is with you, not her… I am really curious as to what regulation they are quoting to ask for a deposit in the first place, and an outrageous one in second, in view of the FACT that no one else -furriner specifically- who’s gotten their card has been asked to do so. Not to make anyone lose face or stir the pot, just to pinpoint the source of the “misunderstanding”.

[quote=“Icon”]Please keep us posted.

Is there some way to get the bank to speak to you directly instead of going through your wife? Since the beef is with you, not her… I am really curious as to what regulation they are quoting to ask for a deposit in the first place, and an outrageous one in second, in view of the FACT that no one else -furriner specifically- who’s gotten their card has been asked to do so. Not to make anyone lose face or stir the pot, just to pinpoint the source of the “misunderstanding”.[/quote]

No, they want to speak to the Chinese face/ voice. Let them do it. I’ve had enough…

I guess it doesnt matter who they speak too, bottom line is you got the card.
Just so long as they are not trying to call your wife to get her to guarantee you. Let us know if it all works out.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”][quote=“Icon”]Please keep us posted.

Is there some way to get the bank to speak to you directly instead of going through your wife? Since the beef is with you, not her… I am really curious as to what regulation they are quoting to ask for a deposit in the first place, and an outrageous one in second, in view of the FACT that no one else -furriner specifically- who’s gotten their card has been asked to do so. Not to make anyone lose face or stir the pot, just to pinpoint the source of the “misunderstanding”.[/quote]

No, they want to speak to the Chinese face/ voice. Let them do it. I’ve had enough…[/quote]
Let me clarify… with China trust, I found the English phone service was a fraud. In the times when I needed service, a had to resort to a Chinese speaking friend. Sometimes, I’d wait a week for a call back and get none. Why waste the time?

You said… “those that got their cards”. I’m in the pool of “furriners” who were rejected and challenged them. I’m not going to challenge them through the bank. I was examined, poked prodded and photographed. They have all the information they can use.

I’m challenging COSTCO for breaking an existing contract or understanding with me. I relied on those points I would earn and resent being forced to change. I will switch to AMEX, and continually remind them every month or so of the points I would have earned and that are owed me since nothing in my situation is changed. But… since this was a stupid automatic rejection I’m sure I won’t have to do that.

I need to know a summary of those who were accepted. How? Those who were rejected and why? And those who were rejected and successfully challenged the decision.
Yes, I don’t want to be guarenteed. That would not stand. Or … I am the one who drives and have the time to shop. I may even accept that… I like points.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”][quote="Taiwan_Student You said… “those that got their cards”. I’m in the pool of “foreigners” who were rejected and challenged them. I’m not going to challenge them through the bank. I was examined, poked prodded and photographed. They have all the information they can use.

I’m challenging COSTCO for breaking an existing contract or understanding with me. I relied on those points I would earn and resent being forced to change. I will switch to AMEX, and continually remind them every month or so of the points I would have earned and that are owed me since nothing in my situation is changed. But… since this was a stupid automatic rejection I’m sure I won’t have to do that.

I need to know a summary of those who were accepted. How? Those who were rejected and why? And those who were rejected and successfully challenged the decision.
Yes, I don’t want to be guarenteed. That would not stand. Or … I am the one who drives and have the time to shop. I may even accept that… I like points.[/quote]

Oh, now I understand. Yes, the language issue is a problem, a big problem. I thought they were being a bit logical, like taking you as a couple -joint assets. My bad.

Does anyone have experience with Cathay’s English service in particular? Sometimes, one is greatly surprised. AMEX is quite good in this regard.

The points you bring up are important and that is why we are compiling a list. How many were rejected and why. How many accepted and why. Now I also have more questions:

1. how many of us had Chinatrust Costco card before and applied to Cathay and got it?
  2. how many had Chinatrust Costco card and got rejected by Cathay? on what grounds?
  3. those who got it, was it because of salary -I was not-, APRC or JFVC, bank or credit history?

I still think it is just the branch you went to suffers from pigheadedness. Or lack of communication. Anyways, let Costco sort it out. Let them get you the card. But the bank … really, it is terrible service on their part.

So far, people have not been rejected per se after application, but rejected from applying. This is against their rights as consumers. Anyone can apply, it is the banks prerogative to give or not the card, but as consumers we have the right to challenge their policies. Now, time, that is limited…

Final update on this subject! I finally got my card! Thanks you to the Forumosan who posted that I should at least just send a letter to Costco, if I don’t want to fight. Usually we would prevail in these disputes but my wife and I are getting tired of arguing. This is a first where they actually approached me and wanted to solve the problem. I think it was do to Cosctos, pro-membership attitude.
So, please add a new catagory. Got the card after a dispute. Other people, please post your experiences, failures and successes. Sometimes you feel like you are the only one with the problem. Plus, the more posts and publicity the more leverage we have.

Your normal Taiwanese friends have traveled. They’ve used the foreigner language support when they go to foreign countries like Australia, the UK and the US. They get good customer service so they assume that their own country offers English service as they always hear “Press 3 for English”. My Chinese buddy did not believe me at all when I said I can’t get help replacing a lost card using English. I told him step by step what will happen in this phone call. Invited him to sit down and watch. Bingo. No go. He finally had to help me out. That is why I believe the Costco Director when he told me he did not hear of such a problem before. SO… guys… you have a right to apply! Apply, get rejected, then if you know you meet the reasonable requirements. Send a letter to Costco.

As Costco branches have ATMs already (at least 3 different bank ATMs in Nankan Costco), I’ve never really seen the need to use a credit card there.

But I might apply for one if it’s really worth getting. What kind of credit limit is Cathay Bank putting on the cards? Is there an annual fee after the first the year?

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Final update on this subject! I finally got my card! Thanks you to the Forumosan who posted that I should at least just send a letter to Costco, if I don’t want to fight. Usually we would prevail in these disputes but my wife and I are getting tired of arguing. This is a first where they actually approached me and wanted to solve the problem. I think it was do to Cosctos, pro-membership attitude.
So, please add a new catagory. Got the card after a dispute. Other people, please post your experiences, failures and successes. Sometimes you feel like you are the only one with the problem. Plus, the more posts and publicity the more leverage we have.

Your normal Taiwanese friends have traveled. They’ve used the foreigner language support when they go to foreign countries like Australia, the UK and the US. They get good customer service so they assume that their own country offers English service as they always hear “Press 3 for English”. My Chinese buddy did not believe me at all when I said I can’t get help replacing a lost card using English. I told him step by step what will happen in this phone call. Invited him to sit down and watch. Bingo. No go. He finally had to help me out. That is why I believe the Costco Director when he told me he did not hear of such a problem before. SO… guys… you have a right to apply! Apply, get rejected, then if you know you meet the reasonable requirements. Send a letter to Costco.[/quote]

So glad to hear that. :smiley: Congratulations.