New license requirement in Taipei city

I don’t live in Taipei City so this doesn’t apply to me, but this sounds like a policy to simply prevent foreign residents of Taipei from being allowed to drive here. What’s the cutoff for getting driver’s license? Less than 2 weeks, it would seem. Anyone know exactly?

AFAIK the only people with 1-year ARCs are English teachers. So the government doesn’t want them to drive at all.

So. My ARC expires in October 2006. Previously it has been said that if I want to take the big bike texst I have to have a year left. Does that mean I have to take it before October this year, or I will have to wait til my ARC is renewed in October 2006?

Boy would I have liked to have be at the meeting where they made this one up HAHAHA!

“Yeah, forty-seven drunk bus drivers last year, Minister, dead tourists and all. Not good.”
“Hmmm”
“And four thousand deaths from speeding!”
“Hmmmm”
“No traffic lights at the corner of X and Y roads. Big smash last month.”
“Hmmmm”
“A lot of beat-up cars on the roads too. Should we perhaps bring in an annual roadworthiness test? We should really up the overall driving test standards too.”
“Hmmmm. Tell me. Why are all those bloody foreigners allowed to drive about in Taiwan? Isn’t there something we can do about that?”
“Why, yes of course, Minister!”
“Right on! Meeting adjourned!”

no I’m living in taipei County and they only looked at my expire date on my ARC. also how would i get in contact with richard?

So, I’m guessing this is only a problem in Taipei? I’ve never had any problem getting a renewing my license…me or my roommate. Or is it just for when you initially apply?

Never heard such nonsense in all my life. Foreign residents of a country not being allowed to take the driving test unless they have a year’s residence left.

One step forward two steps back.

Is it any wonder the police and the law are held in such contempt here?

[quote=“Mordeth”]So, I’m guessing this is only a problem in Taipei? I’ve never had any problem getting a renewing my license…me or my roommate. Or is it just for when you initially apply?[/quote]Well, Beefeater said above that he was allowed to do his test in Taichung with only 11.5 months left on his ARC. So there may be some local discretion being applied in Taipei. It would be good to get more reports from people who are trying to get their licenses in various areas. Not sure about the renewal thing either. Again, we need to hear more from people who are trying to do this. However, if you are organised when you renew your ARC, you will get it back BEFORE the previous expiry date and so will have an ARC that effectively runs for slightly longer than a year, giving you enough time to renew the driving license.

[quote=“aaronn83”]no I’m living in Taipei County and they only looked at my expire date on my ARC. also how would I get in contact with richard?[/quote]The link to send a private message to Richard Hartzell is;
forumosa.com/taiwan/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=204

I finally took the plunge and got my license (50-250 cc motorcycle) at the DMV on ChengDe Rd. section 5 #80 today. My ARC has a little more than 5 months left on it, so they gave me a license good for that remaining period. Then I’ll have to renew it, which they said I could do at a DMV closer to my house if I wanted.

There were no problems. I was in and out in an hour or so (not counting waiting till they opened up the license lines again at 1:25 pm). If you’re having trouble in Taipei city I definitely recommend a little jaunt up to ChengDe Rd. DMV. Took about 30 minutes on my scooter. Of course make sure you practice your super-slow straight-line riding for that hilarious driving course. Also they have no copies of the driving rules in English for perusal, so check them out online first… but don’t worry if you forget, I did and the computer test still wasn’t too taxing.
Taiwanese bureaucracy… one more happy customer.
:bravo:

Just to clear things up: It’s not a question of how much time remains on your ARC, but rather how long it’s valid in total, from the date of issue to the date of expiration. You need 365 days. This is what I was told at the office, and it was confirmed by one of the higher-ups.

[quote=“beef eater”]Just to clear things up: It’s not a question of how much time remains on your ARC, but rather how long it’s valid in total, from the date of issue to the date of expiration. You need 365 days. This is what I was told at the office, and it was confirmed by one of the higher-ups.[/quote]Thanks Beefeater. Your explanation makes sense. Some people seem to have had problems based on amount of time remaining, however. There may be some misunderstanding among some staff in a few DMV offices.

[quote=“21p”]AFAIK the only people with 1-year ARCs are English teachers. So the government doesn’t want them to drive at all.

[/quote]

Don’t think so, I live in Taipei county and how hard I try, can’t get a three years ARC … because … don’t laugh … I have no children … and my wife isn’t pregnant … valid reason hey! Bureaucratic nonsens …blah :raspberry: :fume:

[quote=“belgian pie”][quote=“21p”]AFAIK the only people with 1-year ARCs are English teachers. So the government doesn’t want them to drive at all.

[/quote]

Don’t think so, I live in Taipei county and how hard I try, can’t get a three years ARC … because … don’t laugh … I have no children … and my wife isn’t pregnant … valid reason hey! Bureaucratic nonsens …blah :raspberry: :fume:[/quote]
Off topic, but you should be able to get a 3-year ARC the SECOND time you apply, i.e., the first one is only for one year, after that you should get three years (Banciao Foreign Affairs Police). At least that was my experience.

I’ve been here 7 years…coming up on 8. Hopefully I can get something longer this time too. Any ideas on what to ask for?

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“belgian pie”][quote=“21p”]AFAIK the only people with 1-year ARCs are English teachers. So the government doesn’t want them to drive at all.

[/quote]

Don’t think so, I live in Taipei county and how hard I try, can’t get a three years ARC … because … don’t laugh … I have no children … and my wife isn’t pregnant … valid reason hey! Bureaucratic nonsens …blah :raspberry: :fume:[/quote]
Off topic, but you should be able to get a 3-year ARC the SECOND time you apply, i.e., the first one is only for one year, after that you should get three years (Banqiao Foreign Affairs Police). At least that was my experience.[/quote]

No, and no, and no, three years, no sir, and here are the written rules. So, even if they change the rules for the license I’ll never will get one over a year. So…every year back to the DMV … but hey they already sent the forms to me … two of them

I’ve recently purchased a scooter and would like to get a licence however after many trips to many different offices I have discovered that I need an ARC with at least a year or more validity. My teaching contract in Taiwan is only for one year, leaving me with an ARC valid for exactly 364 days. Is there a way around this problem? If anyone can help me it would be great.

thanks

Elliott, I’ve moved your post here as it’s on the same topic. In this post on a previous page;
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 772#257772](New license requirement in Taipei city

[quote=“elliottbenzle”]My teaching contract in Taiwan is only for one year, leaving me with an ARC valid for exactly 364 days.[/quote]Are you sure it’s 364? Or is it 365 as in the example above?

If really 364 then yes it seems you may have problems and I can only repeat my previous suggestion to another poster to try contacting Richard Hartzell. Link to send a private message to Hartzell is;
forumosa.com/taiwan/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=204

Have searched but no answer.

Has anybody tried renewing a motor bike license with less than a year left on the ARC?

I’ll be going to Bade Rd DMV next week but if anyone knows, do tell all and possibly save me a trip.

Wangdoodle, I think you should be alright provided that the total valid period of the ARC is at least a year. You might get a license valid until the ARC expiry date – someone else posted about this before.

It would be great if you could post back and let us know what they say.

Last year I had three things happen:

1. I renewed my six-year motorcycle licence (back when they used to give six-year licences). I only had a fraction of time left on my ARC. Therefore, they gave me a renewed licence for a couple of months of validity. Nice.

2. Then a month later I got a three-year ARC. They gave me a new licence for three years of validity.

3. Then, a couple of months later I got my APRC. I went back and tried to get them to extend my three-year licence to six, BUT they told me to come back in three years … They didn’t want to extend my licence in the middle of validty. I now have to wait until 2007 to get a six-year licence again.

I just renewed my licnese…took about 40 seconds. And I didn’t have to pay anything. All I needed was license and ARC…no photos needed (that’s a first).

I got one in 2003, no problems. If I need it renewed, they just stamp it.

Not a hitch.