New maxi scooters made in Taiwan

The PGO G-max “250”!!

http://www.ibike.com.hk/01_bike_report/local/pgo/05_gmax250/p/02.htm?

Kymco Xciting 500!

http://www.ibike.com.hk/01_bike_report/local/kymco/05_xciting500/01.htm?

SYM Joy-max 250

http://www.ibike.com.hk/01_bike_report/local/sym/05_joymax250/01.htm?

Sorry, I should have looked closer at the post.
Lets hope all of these will be available here on the island.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Sorry, I should have looked closer at the post.
Lets hope all of these will be available here on the island.[/quote]I like the looks of the PGO the best. The SYM should be alright. The Kymco’s a 300 or 500cc yellow-plater so interesting in an abstract sense only to me.

I bet they’ll each be well more than 100,000NT.

I used to lust after these big scooters but the nippyness of smaller ones appeals to me more now. I wonder whether these PGO and SYM porkers will really perform that much better than the Cygnus 125 with its four valves and relatively light weight and good handling.

[quote=“joesax”]

I used to lust after these big scooters but the nippyness of smaller ones appeals to me more now. I wonder whether these PGO and SYM porkers will really perform that much better than the Cygnus 125 with its four valves and relatively light weight and good handling.[/quote]

I agree with you. The PGO one should be great for riding in a crowded city like Taipei. by the way, it uses the Kymco 250 engine which is quite reliable. The chasis PGO uses is a “light” 125cc one, with its 21 horsepower, it could beat regular 125cc scooters easily.

Well, the price in HK is around 110,000 NT.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Sorry, I should have looked closer at the post.Lets hope all of these will be available here on the island.[/quote]I like the looks of the PGO the best. The SYM should be alright. The Kymco’s a 300 or 500cc yellow-plater so interesting in an abstract sense only to me.
I used to lust after these big scooters but the nippyness of smaller ones appeals to me more now. I wonder whether these PGO and SYM porkers will really perform that much better than the Cygnus 125 with its four valves and relatively light weight and good handling.[/quote]Joe -
I agree. Around town is 85+% of my 'scooter use. The KYMCO 125cc I have is not only adequate, but also fun for these needs.
Not to mention handy for parking and dealing with tight spaces in traffic and other areas.
A bigger 'scooter, 250 - 4-500cc range, would appeal to me on a basis for intra island cruising.
Same as a mid-sized motorcycle, say in the same cc range.
I ain’t no small lug and with the tai tai on back and some leggage, more cc and a larger frame would be appreciated for day or overnight touring trips.
But I agree, for the majority of my useage my 125cc is excellent!

p.s. - I don’t understand your reference to the KYMCO marks models in this range.

[quote=“cybertai”]I agree with you. The PGO one should be great for riding in a crowded city like Taipei. by the way, it uses the Kymco 250 engine which is quite reliable. The chasis PGO uses is a “light” 125cc one, with its 21 horsepower, it could beat regular 125cc scooters easily.

Well, the price in HK is around 110,000 NT.[/quote]So the PGO is not such a porker? Its little brother, the G-Max 150, was reported to be not very powerful and too heavy, but I suppose the 250 engine would be better at hauling the weight around. I bet you the Cygnus would still be quicker off the line though, and that the G-Max would take a while to catch up and overtake.

Thread on PGO G-Max here; [PGO's G_max Scooter

What I would like to see would be a 200 or 250 version of the CPI GTR50. That would be quite exciting, and the frame and suspension would be well up to handling the heavier engine.

I am a scooter convert, but one of the best things about scooters for me is their light handling and nippyness. The bigger ones just aren’t as much fun. I enjoy riding my beat-up old Dio 50 round town because it steers so quickly.

The Europeans get lots of exciting scooters that aren’t available here. Up until recently there was a Peugeot 200cc two-stroke scooter with a sporty frame and suspension (Speedfight). Now its only available in four-stroke flavour due to emissions regulations, but there’s still lots of exciting stuff out there.

[quote=“joesax”]
What I would like to see would be a 200 or 250 version of the CPI GTR50. That would be quite exciting, and the frame and suspension would be well up to handling the heavier engine.

The Europeans get lots of exciting scooters that aren’t available here. Up until recently there was a Peugeot 200cc two-stroke scooter with a sporty frame and suspension (Speedfight). Now its only available in four-stroke flavour due to emissions regulations, but there’s still lots of exciting stuff out there.[/quote]

I heard that the 150cc 4-stroke CPI would be available here around October. The price is around 70,000 NT.

I know these quick European scooters, but I think the CPI or other Taiwanese scooters is a more feasilbe choice here in Taiwan.

[quote=“cybertai”][quote=“joesax”]
What I would like to see would be a 200 or 250 version of the CPI GTR50. That would be quite exciting, and the frame and suspension would be well up to handling the heavier engine.[/quote]I heard that the 150cc 4-stroke CPI would be available here around October. The price is around 70,000 NT.[/quote]Is it in the GTR frame? If so, sounds good.

[quote=“cybertai”]I know these quick European scooters, but I think the CPI or other Taiwanese scooters is a more feasilbe choice here in Taiwan.[/quote]Why? Of course from a logistics and environmental point of view it’s better not to transport vehicles half way around the globe, but is there any other reason that you think scooters such as the Peugeot Speedfight models are not suited to Taiwan?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]p.s. - I don’t understand your reference to the KYMCO marks models in this range.[/quote]The Kymco in Cybertai’s post is a 500cc bike, meaning that a big bike license is needed and everything – the bike, insurance and tax – will be more expensive. That’s why it’s of only abstract interest to me. No matter how much I might lust after one, I’m not going to get one.

Maybe I should say “affordable”? :laughing:

By the way, the CPI 150 I mentioned above is in GTR frame. It’s a GTI 150, I saw someone riding one in Taipei, pretty sleek and attractive.

Someone is selling this supercharged Peugeot 125cc in Taiwan. The price after tax is around 450,000 NT. :loco:

The soon to be released Kymco Techno has me a little excited. First time I’ve said that about a scooter. :blush:

kymco.com.tw/tw/showroom/sco … InfoID=99# <— Kymco’s page on it. Click on the more button.

I would never even consider a scooter unless it had a flat floor. I use scooters primarily as transportation for my dog. But I love going everywhere with my dog…so I end up riding my scooters more than my bikes.

Old picture…am riding an ex-girlfriends scooter in this pic. But I like the pic because it shows well…how I walk my dog.

[quote=“Mordeth”]The soon to be released Kymco Techno has me a little excited.[/quote]Why? What’s better about it than the Cygnus, apart from 25 more cc?

Err…it looks cool…and the 25cc! Well, they are selling it as a 2008 scooter being released early in 2005. I think it comes with HID lights as well as the best gizmos. I’m sure this is Kymcos response to the popular Cygnus. So I’m sure it will be able to take on a Cygnus straight out of the box. Which means one quick…cool…little scooter. With a floor!

Good looking 'scooter, and they are doing TV commercials in english for it. And, so far, I am a bit of a KYMCO fan.

HOWEVER, why are they still putting only 1 rear shock on this new model. I must admit I am quite impressed with the new models with dual rear shocks. Much better symmetry and protection. I see this model has an “assisted” type shock, but still, 2 would have been much better, IMO.
Hmmm…150cc, fuel injected? (hopefully!)…maybe next spring…

Most of those scooters are almost as ugly as the monstrous Majesty and the dicky Dink. :raspberry:

I hate any scooters with one or more of the following features:

1. Floor isn’t flat (such a stupid waste of space).

2. The handlebars coming up out of the front so they turn independent of the front bit (ugly beyond belief).

3. The passenger seat raised up significantly higher than the driver’s seat (just looks silly).

That rules out all of those pictured above.

Brian

The flat floor is rarely found on heavier scooters, as they bring serious structural problems to the overall design - way too much flex - I’ve felt it on a Kymco when I had a heavy passenger.

The lowered driver’s seat does a lot of good in terms of a lowered centre of gravity - something that’s very important to a bike’s stability. It’s also why my 154cm wife could ride my 250 without problems…

Saw the Techno at a shop today. It’s kinda a mix of the rear of a Jockey G4 and the front of a Shining 150. Not really my cup of tea, for the price I rather get a Majesty FI or a PGO G-Max.

I won’t be able to fork out that kind of money. I’ll have to stick with the one I converted:

[img]http://www.jenie.co.uk/graphics/small-genie-scooter.jpg[/img]

the 250 PGO GMax is based on the kymco ego 250 engine/transmission package.

The ego 250 is a great accelerating bike, but lacks the ground clearance of the gmax frame. ego250s do have more storage space, afaik, and seem to be better suited for straight line acceleration off the line.

i’ve got a malossi bearing and transmisison kit plus front and rear bitubo suspension…makes the bike rip off the line like no other scooter i’ve seen yet. installing a yoshimura tmr-mjn carburetor & jet kit this afternoon to complement the new exhaust…

if you can get the above mentioned mods shoehorned into the Gmax250, you’d have a really incredible mountain road eating scooter…lighter than the EGO250 and with better ground clearance…hmm…with all my money invested in these mods, it’d only make sense to make the GMAX 250 my next bike and just move the appropriate mods over

its too bad they had to get rid of the monoshock rear of the GMAX 125/150 to use the kymco 250 transmission/engine

another way to improve output of this family of 250 engines is to grab the 280cc cylinder and piston off Kymco’s 4wheel dune buggy…Kymco Peoples250, EGO/BEt&WIN250, dink250, Dune Buggy are all based on the KHE7 engine/transmission

[quote=“Maoman”]The flat floor is rarely found on heavier scooters, as they bring serious structural problems to the overall design - way too much flex - I’ve felt it on a Kymco when I had a heavy passenger.[/quote]Some (all?) big scooters keep fuel in that bump in the middle, freeing up engine and underseat storage space. So not really a “waste of space” although of course many scooterists need that flat floor.

Of course having fuel in the middle makes for better handling as well.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]I hate…

1. The handlebars coming up out of the front so they turn independent of the front bit (ugly beyond belief).[/quote]I also don’t like that look, and I’m not that comfortable with the whole feet forward thing. I prefer the feel and handling when there’s an upright rider position as with the Ego 250, the G-Max and the Cygnus.

[quote=“mungacious”]the 250 PGO GMax is based on the kymco ego 250 engine/transmission package.[/quote]Don’t suppose they’ll sell off Ego 250s cheap then… Probably not :frowning:

the PGO is fairly cool and in 250cc guise I’ll be well tempted…

BUT…

this…

a good looking scoot?!.. surely you jest…

I