New teacher needs ideas for teenager demo

Hello, I’ve been given the task of giving a teaching demo to jr. high/high school aged kids, and I have to make it from scratch. She told me just to do it on something interesting, and unfortunately I forgot to ask how long it would be for. I know that’s a tough age group to educate, from what I can remember when I was that age. I have no teaching experience, let alone demo experience… anyone have any advice? I saw some good advice about demo’s being all about controlling the class and communicating with them, but any specific structure would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You need a game and a structure they can quickly pick up. Organise into teams, draw something on a board, score both teams according to answers etc.

Some excellent suggestions here:

https://sites.google.com/site/eslarticlessite/firstclasses

This thread had some good suggestions: [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/need-advice-for-demo/9019/1 advice for Demo!![/url]

sweet. thank you

No problem. Good luck with the demo.

Ah, so it turns out, I have to give three separate demos; one for a junior high, one for an older high school, and one for a younger high school… each about an hour and a half long. Good thing she said she’d actually pay me! I’m still pretty intimidated though, I’m not sure how I can drag it out that long

Students that age take a while to warm to a new face in the classroom. Good luck. One thing you need to do, if the class is not large, is to know their names. Lots of teachers have come to demo at my school and try to do a class without first asking the students their names. First thing you should do is tell them your name then ask them theirs. If you can’t remember them write them on the board. Takes you 1 minute. Since the class is 1 and half hours (IMO that is not a demo, they are using you as a sub) you will have time for a good intro so make the students ask you questions, some interesting ones will pop up, also you will learn who the daring students are and also get an idea of their ability.

Good luck. Let us know how that goes.

I noticed ur name is “NorCalDiver” Where in Nor Cal you from?? I’m from the bay area. :slight_smile: