New to scootering in Taipei

Just rented a 125cc scooter for a couple months here and was curious about a couple things, hoping people here can help.

Is there a better navi app than Google maps for Taiwan & Taipei? Scooter-only routes, traffic cameras, etc

I’m assuming the helmet stores also sell the big rain outfits, but is there a better place to get them?

Any other major do’s and don’ts I should be aware of?

Thanks

I tried searching the forums for traffic camera but didn’t get any useful information.

It just takes getting used to. At first, it all seems like it’s rocket science, but you just have to get used to the roads. I think most people get confused as to which bridge they can and cannot go up. This is why most people are required to take the written test for scootering in Taiwan. Some of the questions cover what sign means what.

Online sites such as Pchome or shopee will have them. I bought mine online since it was a good 1000NT cheaper than the helmet stores. Essentials stores like 勝利百貨 also have them.

Pick roads that have designated bus lanes or little to no buses. Less buses on the roads means one less type of vehicle to worry about. Bus drivers are as much of dickheads as BMW or Benz drivers, so not having to worry about them is key.

I would avoid Zhongxiao Fuxing MRT to Sun Yat Sen MRT stretch of Zhongxiao East Road like the plague. The stupidity of people are multiplied by a billion there.

Taxis are the enemy.

1 Like

I would actually rate them 4th or 5th after gravel trucks, blue trucks, buses (tour buses esp), and, as noted, any vehicle more expensive than a Hyundai. As the saying goes “I’m not saying that every Benz/BMW driver is a selfish cunt, but odds are good. Lexus owners, OK, that’s pretty much a lock”

If you haven’t had your first crash, go ahead and get it out of the way.
Go for a quiet side lane where you won’t be traveling too fast.

2 Likes

objection on the first half. Don’t buses have a right to use roads preferentially? I’ve thought most of other vehicles should give way to buses.

Latter half, I agree.

Sarcasm?

No! I said seriously.

1 Like

In that case, no. Why should buses be given right of way? Because they carry more passengers than others, they’re harder to maneuver or they need to be in that specific lane to follow their route?

I think the latter is the only logical reason they would be given right of way, but some buses are just assholes about it. I’ve seen so many of them head to the far left lane for about a 100-200m distance before the next stop and end up cutting from far left lane to inner lane and cutting off the entire flow of traffic.

In their defense, they have to be a bit aggressive, otherwise they’ll miss their stop, but I don’t have sympathy for those that clearly know they have to let passengers get off, but head over to the left lane for a few hundred meters. They have done their routes enough times to know that, it’s going to be hell moving from lane to lane in that short of a distance.

I think the former can be a reason too, for a better transportation system in a busy city, to improve overall traffic conditions.

In their some more defense, the bus should make a left turn at the next section, but a passenger could press a buzzer at the last moment, or there often be obstacles in the right lane.

My impression is the manner of bus drivers are often better than drivers of other vehicles. I don’t say all of them, or always. just many of them, or often.

Someone on here previously mentioned a Taiwan scooter GPS, perhaps check at your local scooter shop. I usually set maps to walking if I want to plot a scooter root as it avoids freeways, expressways etc.

Touch wood, I’ve never crashed in 25 years here, except for a very minor encounter with a taxi. Came off in Thailand once when not wearing a helmet.

Ride Scoots like your life depends on it…because it DOES!

Benz drivers are by far the worst I have ever seen, driving 180km/h on the highway and changing 4 lanes at a time at unsafe speeds. Blows my mind.

Almost saw one of those gravel trucks T-Bone a Corolla the other day.

Drivers in SUVs also try bully you on the road or don’t let you into a lane.

2 Likes

OP buy a full face helmet and you can turn off highway routes in your google map settings.

Thanks everyone for the advice, will keep to heart what everyone has said.

Thanks! These sites are quite overwhelming for a first-time user but I’ll try.

Yup for now I’ve turned off highways on maps, I’ll try walking too if I’m unsure.
I also thought about buying a full face helmet as it seems 100% more effective than what everyone else is wearing…any recommendations? Zeus seems to be a good brand.

From what I can tell about drivers in Taiwan (or any person getting from point A to point B regardless of travel medium) is it’s every man for himself, screw anyone else on the road.

1 Like

I love AGV helmets, Italian brand.

Are there any good B&M helmet stores in Taipei? Or is online the way to go now?

There’s plenty. The ones that look like they sell crappy helmets from the outside normally have some DoT helmets available too. Here’s where I got mine…

If you want some high end stuff, I pass by this one all the time

1 Like

Like MENTAL high end.
I went in there once to look for a helmet, I almost punched the lady when she told me how much it cost.

How much?

Alternately you could buy a vintage Buco helmet off Yahoo Auction Japan.