New to scootering in Taipei

You be the judge on whether it’s expensive. I see some fairly priced items, but also some pretty expensive stuff too…

Some of them are $24,000, which is pretty high, though I guess life is priceless too.

I’d like to know if those $20k ones are any better than the $6k ones though. I get the feeling they’re probably not.

I know there’s a difference between full face and the half face, but yes, I’m curious as to the difference between a DoT full face costing 3000NT compared to one that costs 24000NT. Comfort? Style points?

In the cycling world, the more expensive it is the better the ventilation and style points. I believe most helmets must pass certain QC tests to hit the market.

Yeah, probably just style and a little bit more comfort.

In other words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_F9qwg8YJY

I would add to the warnings about buses, especially tour buses, particularly at traffic lights. You see, buses make tight turns, and scooter/bike riders often end up sandwiched, squished and/or plainly run over by buses making a tight right turn. Last night, I saw one younster bumped off his bike and having to jump for his life, leaving his sandals behind, or else…it would have been his skull.

Oh and bus drivers as well as blue truck drivers are generally daltonic, which means they zoom by intersections or just turn left to make th elight at break neck speeds… pity the scooter that tries racing against that.

One more example: I am watching the news here and they are showing a whole pole,the one that goes side to side on the highway with speed and direction signs, totally destroyed. A tour bus driver, exhausted frim overwork, used to driving a scooter, took the scooter lane…with a double decker tour bus…

…news piece followed by another one in which a scooter, an army truck and a city bus all raced to make the traffic light. Scooter breezed by the chin gsirs of a bald frog, army truck was making the turn so was the slowest and got clipped, bus raced on…

Thank you and everyone for the input. I ended up going to 3 helmet stores, two near Heping & Chongqing (at one of the stores, the lady was so rude), but ended up buying my helmet at some store at Roosevelt & Keelung. The kbn store looks like a good option to check out if I ever get my own scooter/motorcycle.

After a week of riding, buses are definitely enemy #1 with taxis a close 2nd.

Staying away from big trucks and buses really is a golden rule. It is common sense but we can never stress it enough.