NHI insurance card

Hello and thanks in advance.

I was born in Taiwan. I have my birth certificate in Taiwan. I moved to US and became a citizen.

I have a Valid Taiwan passport but never stamped.

How do I get a Taiwan ID card or NHI card? I would like to use the healthcare in Taiwan. Do I need to reside in Taiwan for an extended period or I can just fly over there and get one?

I’m sorry I can’t help you with specific advice. I do believe you can fly over and get your NHI coverage sorted. It’s a common complaint about overseas Taiwanese for people who work here!

It should not surprise you that many of us who pay into the system, pay our taxes, and live here are not particularly impressed by choices like yours. Many overseas resident beneficiaries do NOT support the BNHI system or enjoy a disproportionate benefit because the chronic care they can reimburse here far outweighs what they put into the system.

This situation should NOT apply to you since this is your first card and you are presumably young and healthy, so may pay into the system for sometime.

This thread may answer your questions:

Post #5 includes this link:
http://www.nhi.gov.tw/English/webdata/webdata.aspx?menu=11&menu_id=593&WD_ID=593&webdata_id=3143

And at the bottom you can find this text:

If you reside abroad for more than two years without returning, your household registration will be automatically terminated, and you will no longer be eligible to participate in the National Health Insurance program. You will also be required to complete the necessary procedures to withdraw from the program. When you re-establish residency in Taiwan at a later date, you can apply for enrollment again.