No NHI for Newborns of Foreign Mothers?

I can also substantiate the case that Citizen K is talking about. The family is incurring tremendous medical bills because the baby -born prematurely- does not receive state health coverage for three months after the birth. There are currently a several fund-raising activities going on to help this family who is in desperate need.

I’m curious to know whether or not a baby born to Taiwanese nationals living and working in Canada would be subject to similar national health policies. I know that, for instance, if a Canadian citizen was to return to Canada after having been declared a non-resident, he/she would have to wait three months before provincial health care would activate.

Would newborn baby then have to wait an additional three months to be covered?

BTW: The foreigner couple in question have both been living and working under an ARC for many years and have themselves been paying into the Taiwanese state health care system.

I wonder if there is a Canadian Ministry who are responsible for lobbying foreign governments to ensure that Canadian citizens are afforded reciprocal state benefits?

[quote=“Hartzell”]According to my knowledge of the NHI rules, a non-employed foreign dependent on an ARC must wait four months in order to be eligible for NHI coverage.

Hence, a baby born to two foreigners (man and woman), and hence not eligible for ROC/Taiwan citizenship, clearly falls in this category.

I handled a case along these lines for a Canadian couple in Changhua some years ago. Their baby needed to undergo open heart surgery a few weeks after birth, and the bill was not covered by NHI, even though they were both employed here and both had NHI coverage.

([color=#BF0040]Note: During the latter part of the pregnancy, the Canadian wife had been informed by the hospital, clinic, and the doctors and nurses that her new baby would be covered by NHI from the time of birth. She also had leaflets and booklets which said so … only later did she and her husband find out that the rules are different for foreigners. Meanwhile, the personnel at the hospital, clinic, etc. all said: WE ARE SORRY FOR THE MISUNDERSTANDING[/color].)[/quote]

That is so totally whacked. :loco: Who in Heaven’s name thought up that policy?!

The 1998 paper I found said babies were exempt, so if there is a change, it has been for the worse. :fume: It could have been to stop Mainlanders smuggling in to treat their kids, as it was a tendency for a while to sneak in to give birth. But it is nonsense, nevertheless.

Canadian you say? Recently there was a meeting with Canadian representatives, and one of the topics at hand was the welfare of children in the world. Why not make this specific, and have a couple of Canadian Congress representatives make a strong request? :fume: :fume:

[quote=“sedition”]I can also substantiate the case that Citizen K is talking about. The family is incurring tremendous medical bills because the baby -born prematurely- does not receive state health coverage for three months after the birth. There are currently a several fund-raising activities going on to help this family who is in desperate need.

I’m curious to know whether or not a baby born to Taiwanese nationals living and working in Canada would be subject to similar national health policies. I know that, for instance, if a Canadian citizen was to return to Canada after having been declared a non-resident, he/she would have to wait three months before provincial health care would activate.

Would newborn baby then have to wait an additional three months to be covered?

BTW: The foreigner couple in question have both been living and working under an ARC for many years and have themselves been paying into the Taiwanese state health care system.

I wonder if there is a Canadian Ministry who are responsible for lobbying foreign governments to ensure that Canadian citizens are afforded reciprocal state benefits?[/quote]

Yeah, but in Canada, at least I know in BC, there’s supplementary insurance you can get to cover you for those first 3 months until the regular one kicks in. I don’t think it costs more than the regular benefits.

The NHI guide I have says that newborns are exempt from the 4 month wait. There is no distinction between babies born to foreigners or Taiwan nationals as long as the parents have NHI.

Hmm…seems there is a loophole between qualification for residence as dependents for newborns of parents on ARCs and the definition in llary’s NHI guide…something that prospective foreign parents should be aware of.

I didn’t realize it before, but the couple in Changhua that Hartzell mentions above are actually close personal friends and the wife (American, not Canadian), informed me that they ended up with approximately NT$2.5 million in hospital bills because of it.

She also mentioned that, had they been aware of it beforehand, she thinks they could have quite easily purchased private insurance to cover the birth and any complications.

Anyway, I don’t directly know the family in question with this present case, but as sedition mentions, there is fund-raising going on. I have the name and banking info of the family involved, since I asked if I could help. I don’t have their permission to make it public, but I guess that anyone who would like to help could pm me and I will forward the info…

Tks.

Sorry, you’re wrong. The child of two foreigners isn’t considered (by any authority that matters) to be Taiwanese. One of the parents MUST be Taiwanese, and it wasn’t so long ago that only the children of Taiwanese males could claim citizenship. Mothers had to claim they didn’t know who the father was in order to claim citizenship for their children. You can thank Richard Hartzell for helping to put an end to that foolishness.

And even though Taiwanese couples can claim American or Canadian citizenship for their kids if they’re born there, the privilege is NOT reciprocated.

Edit: And it is often the case that the child of a Taiwanese parent does NOT claim local citizenship - in fact there are several Forumosans I know with mixed, non-citizen kids.[/quote]

I know two foreigners who had a child together while in Taiwan. They had to choose whether or not to allow the child to have citizenship. That was seven years ago and the child was a son. Maybe I’m mistaken, or maybe they were, but this is what they told me when we discussed it.

I had heard that–in the past–children born to foreigen fathers would have to take his citizenship, but did not know that the mother couldn’t claim Taiwanese citizenship for the child based on her own citizenship.

Yes, TIT and all, but we are all still human–that point I’m sure I’ve gotten correct![/quote]

Children born to foreigners cannot claim citizenship. My son was born here to an ROC maother in 1991. I was his foreign father he was not able to cliam ROC Nationality. The laws changed in 2000.

Children born to ROC parents abroad can claim ROC Nationalty by Decent of the father was an ROC national before 2000 and to either parent after 2000.

Foreingers who are not residents of Australia who have children in Australia, those children are also not permanent residents or citizens of Austrlaia. The USA is different as anyone born in the USA is a US citizen.

Many counties do not pass on citizenhip to children born there is a parent is not a resident or a citizen of that country.

My husband and I are both foreign nationals and I gave birth last here last year. From personal experience, the facts are as follows:

1. A newborn born to foreign parents is NOT covered by NHI until 4 months after receiving an ARC.
  2. Citizenship is NOT awarded to babies born to foreign parents, the baby carries the same citizenship as the parents.
  3. NHI, for some unfathomable reason, DOES NOT cover any vaccinations done at a hospital, although there are free clinics where you can have your child vaccinated.
  4. The foreign parents of a newborn must apply for the baby’s ARC within 15 days of the baby’s birth. It is not true that the ARC fee is waivered for newborns, only the resident visa fee is waivered, so it will still cost you NT$1000.00. If you do not apply within 15 days, the baby is “overstaying” :ohreally: and you have to pay a fine. (BTW, you need passport sized photographs of your newborn and his/her birth certificate as well as both parents’ ARC’s)
  5. When your baby receives their own passport, you have to go back to NIA and they will issue a new ARC bearing the baby’s passport number. (This ARC is free)

Hope this answers the original question.

A friend has just had a baby and is very worried about this regulation. She found out that NHI does not cover the baby until four months, so tried to organize private health insurance through an agent. However the agent failed to find any companies willing to provide insurance as both parents are foreigners, and also failed to notify her of this.
Two questions:

1. Can anyone confirm the regulations regarding NHI for new born babies?
  2. Can anyone suggest any companies that would be willing to provide private health insurance for a new born (foreign) baby?

Many thanks

Unfortunately that’s true. I am expecting a baby soon and both of us (me and my husband) are foreigners. We just learned that we can’t insure our baby in any insurance company in Taiwan till it is 14 years old!!!
We are considering leaving Taiwan…it really changes a lot…
And NHI doesnt kick in for the child of both foreigners!

[quote=“horo36”]Unfortunately that’s true. I am expecting a baby soon and both of us (me and my husband) are foreigners. We just learned that we can’t insure our baby in any insurance company in Taiwan till it is 14 years old!!!
We are considering leaving Taiwan…it really changes a lot…
And NHI doesnt kick in for the child of both foreigners![/quote]

Do you think it would be possible to buy insurance in your home country that covered medical expenses overseas? One idea…

Well, that’s a stupid law, in my opinion. Not Taiwan’s fault, and if pregnant Taiwanese women go to Canada or the US on “vacation” when they’re 39 weeks pregnant to take advantage of it…

Why should the Taiwanese government reciprocate idiocy?

I can confirm that, but that’s only for children born to families where at least one parent is Taiwanese, and hence, the child also.

No incentive for non citizens in that regard, which makes sense. The idea is to have more children (as the birth rate is declining) who will support retirees in 20 years time, because at this rate every working young adult will have to support four oldies in two decades time. Population is getting older and not enough young 'uns being born. A trend that is also clearly shown in declining kindergarten and first grade enrollments over the past few years.

We got a couple of grand when my son was registered (and I know two foreign couples in different parts of Taiwan who got nothing - obviously their children weren’t registered with HHR as they weren’t Taiwanese), and the lady asked us if we’re planning on having more. The once off payment at registration increases with the second and third child and after three children you qualify for a monthly “child support” benefit from the government.

Does anyone have any practical solutions? Private insurance, getting insured from abroad?

As for the actually law :fume: but maybe that would be best discussed elsewhere…

[quote=“Mawvellous”]Does anyone have any practical solutions? Private insurance, getting insured from abroad?

As for the actually law :fume: but maybe that would be best discussed elsewhere…[/quote]
Sorry, mate. I got sidetracked. Apart from raising money for the family in question, I don’t have any practical solutions. For what it’s worth, I think it’s crap and babies should be covered regardless of nationality, especially if the parents have NHI, valid ARCs and have contributed tax and towards NHI.

Edit: Just told my wife this story, and she’s also under the impression that regardless of nationality, if one of the parents have NHI the baby should be covered.
Perhaps, if someone here knows someone with guanxi or has a link to legislators or someone who can actually do something concrete something can be done.

I think if the baby is in Taiwan it should be covered regardless of the parents status. The babys well being should be looked after period.

[quote=“bismarck”]
Sorry, mate. I got sidetracked. Apart from raising money for the family in question, I don’t have any practical solutions. For what it’s worth, I think it’s crap and babies should be covered regardless of nationality, especially if the parents have NHI, valid ARCs and have contributed tax and towards NHI.

Edit: Just told my wife this story, and she’s also under the impression that regardless of nationality, if one of the parents have NHI the baby should be covered.
Perhaps, if someone here knows someone with guanxi or has a link to legislators or someone who can actually do something concrete something can be done.[/quote]

That was my initial impression as well, it seems that most Taiwanese are also not aware. The mother has lived in Taiwan for five years, and has a valid ARC etc.
Getting the law changed would be ideal…but right now we need to look for some kind of alternative insurance provision. If anyone else has any ideas…

I have a Taiwanese husband and three kids but haven’t got any monertary incentive. Obviously I’m missing out on something. How do I find out about it?

Are they registered at your husband’s HHR Office (where his Hukou is held)? Were they born in Taiwan? How old are your kids? Perhaps it’s a recent development.

If I were you I’d get him (your hubby) to call up his HHR office and make some inquiries. You should’ve gotten a once off payment (like a birth gift) when each child was born. And I believe that if you have three kids you get a monthly incentive (also other benefits regarding education etc…), although it may be for four kids, but my wife is also pretty sure the woman told us it’s for three kids.

Edit: The HHR office is great. Because of them I got my Ma Ying Jiu hong bao in the beginning of the year. Didn’t need a JFRV, just needed to be registered on my wife’s HHR. definitely go down there and have a chat with them.

V says that these benefits are available only in some municipalities - it’s not a national programme.

Any idea why?
Because certain municipalities need kids more than others (statistics by school district) perhaps?