Not happy with assigned elementary school teacher, rights?

We are not happy with the elementary school teacher one of our children is assigned to. One child already experienced this person last year and we disagree the person’s methods. We also know the differences between the teachers as we have put other children through the school.

My wife, who is a teacher says the only way to change teachers would be to transfer to a different school.
That’s too bad. Has anyone else faced this situation? Are there any “face saving” loopholes that would allows us to stay in the same school and change the teacher?
Anyone who had kids in going to school in America? Do American parents have the right to change teachers (before the school year starts)?

I think it will be only possible when it is obvious that there will be a serious difficulty on the class operation due to a trouble between your child and other classmate(s). Just a parent is not happy with the teaching method of the teacher cannot be a reason.

If there would be such loopholes, many local parents surely use them, and your wife must know the ways.

Depends on a number of factors, bottom line is the school -depending on size- will attempt to move a student to another class. Failing that, you can take them to another school. That is elementary school. It is different in Jr and Sr High.

Edit: It has been years since I have had to deal with it, so maybe things have changed.

Face Face Face, there is nothing to be done. Even if there is something to be done, it would hurt someone’s face.
It’s a teaching method dispute. The teacher does not give extra homework nor spend extra time drilling the kids. All other teaches in this school are slave drivers which is what we want. Kids in this particular teacher’s class don’t achieve high scores. But the love the easy work.

I hear there’s some diamond mines in the African jungles that are accepting “new students.”

1 Like