Now Americans can't go to...

Since when in the history of humanity have sanctions persuaded a country to change its ways? Invariably, they double down.

Who said anything about sanctions? It is time the US recognized the Genocide. Turkey has about as much to offer as North Korea.

As for tourism, go to Armenia as the people are nicer and the food tastes better. You want ruins? Go to Greece, or better, go to Iran. A pain in the ass to get there, but it is not off-limits. Yet.

2 Likes

Question: there was this bit on US news saying that the Cuba thing was a consequence of the sonic attack on diplomats at the embassy. What?! What is with that?

The piece continued saying that it was still safe for US tourists to visit. Uh?

A sonic weapon is a device that, in theory, emits an ultra low (or high) frequency that can wreak havoc on human senses. Apparently some embassy staff became ill and it was all blamed on some sonic device. The X-files had an episode dedicated to this. It had Walter White in it. Not bad for a show that, at the time, was getting a little long in the tooth.

Here is an article going further in-depth.

But…that article has nothing to do with the X-Files! And here we are with a new season coming up.

The USA has used regular sonic weapons (i.e. loudspeakers / awful music) against enemies since Noriega.

The Turkey thing is because Turkey wants the USA to extradite Gulen, stop prosecuting Turkish secret service members who beat up anti-Erdogan protesters in the USA, and shut up about all the Turkish-Americans who have been arrested recently in Turkey on some pretext or another. They also want the USA to stop supporting the Syrian Kurds. I’m hoping Trump will respond by bombing Erdogan’s new presidential palace.

1 Like

Cuba after Castro?

Think of the future, my friend. Things change. Is Turkey going to be a place any sane person would want to go?

You could always vacation in Venezuela.

Don’t be silly. Turkey is one of the most culturally rich countries in the world, and boasts loads of natural scenes as well. I’d love to visit Turkey some day.

Pretty soon now, all Americans will be eating turkey: roasted, deep-fried whole (I kid you not!), or as a seasonal filling in a Subway foot-long. Then we’ll see who has the last laugh!

This whole flap is just a big Turkey burger…

mmmmm…turkey

Leftist now going to support the Turkish dictator Erdogan?

Is a leftist going to support an Islamist autocrat? Is that a rhetorical question?

1 Like

45’s silence on this was golden.

So can I go as a ROC citizen or will they still be able to see I’m a US citizen as well?

They would probably see you as a Chinese from China.
What can you expect?

Almost certainly. Except for him not using a Chinese passport, and seemingly being mature enough to just say he’s from Taiwan instead and get on with his life.

I doubt it would be a problem, plenty of people with dual nationality use a particular passport to go in to countries. I was hitchhiking with a dual British-Israeli friend in Europe and Africa, just made sure not to use the Israeli passport in certain places. Doubt you’d have any issues.

1 Like

Anyone here feel devastated by this? Because I’m just not feeling it.

Here’s someone who’s already in Turkey and can’t leave:

Two years in jail FOR AN ARTICLE?

Most travelers aren’t like you. They’re a bit less self absorbed.