NTU Chang-Hsing Dormitory

Hi, I’ve been wondering who here had an experience living in Chang-Hsing Dormitory as an international student. Since I’ve heard that aside from the usual monthly pay, you have to top that with the electricity bills, so I want to ask how much do you usually pay for a month? Is the internet connection already covered in your monthly pay and how good is the connection? Thanks!

https://ntudorm.prince.com.tw/News_List.aspx?MessageNo=00000424&MessageType=01

https://ntudorm.prince.com.tw/Introduction_List.aspx?MessageNo=00000018&MessageType=03

Single room monthly rent: NTD 7,400
Double room monthly rent: NTD 4,900
Triple room monthly rent: NTD 4,400
Suit monthly rent: NTD 8,800

Have you stayed here before?

No, sorry.
But you get the picture, it’s the more expensive dorm in NTU rather than Guo Qing.

I haven’t stayed there before (god no) but I have heard about it. It’s the better dorm. If you get a single room/suite you’d have your personal space. In any other dorm building you’d end up sharing a tiny room with other students, which would suck.
There’s no kitchen, so you’d have to eat out, which sucks, too.

http://www.oia.ntu.edu.tw/students/incoming.experience

Here are the reports from former exchange students, you can check them out yourself.

Actually, I’ve been renting a room in a flat, costs 10,000 which includes electricity, water, and internet, a common kitchen and comfort room. And I am just thinking if transferring to the dorm would save me more money…

Unless the dorm includes electricity, water, and internet, there’s no reason to move out of your current place.

10k for what I assume is a 6-9 ping bedroom with a shared bathroom and kitchen is a pretty good deal.

Roommate troubles is a different story though.

I see. Thank you for the suggestion!

The water, electricity, and internet are included. AC is not iirc, but I’m not sure. Most of the people I know stay in the normal dorms, not this one.

If you already study there, why not ask your classmates? They might know better? I don’t think many people here go/went to NTU.

Gain’s information is not correct.

Electricity is NOT included. Water and internet is included. The AC runs off of your electric bill.

Have you stayed there before?

I did say AC is not included. I don’t think stuff like sockets or lamps are excluded.

In Taiwan universities, there usually a pre-paid card for AC.
You buy collectively with your roommate.
Good luck if getting a “stay-at-home” roommate with tendency of camping all day long with AC.
500 TWD card could be finished in less than a week.
Normally there is a socket in your bed/desk. Not sure about limitation or anything, but no rice cooker, no iron, no heater or anything else with heat/cold function. Usually people will use it for fan and laptop.

I see, thanks for this info! Well its not going to help saving up money if i need to buy a prepaid. Its better here in my recent flat since i can binge on using ac.

Hey. I know it’s an old thread but as a Shuiyuan resident (exact same amenities as Changhsing but closer to Gongguan) I’d like to share some of my experiences.

Yes-you do have to pay for the electricity. When you move in, you purchase an electricity card with 500NT in it. You can top it up whenever you want at the reception desk. For some reason they only accept multiples of 500. Generally 500 will last my roommate and I 3-4 weeks in winter and 2-3 weeks in summer. I have to stress that it is NOT just an AC card, which means without the card the lighting, AC, hot water, and fridge (we don’t use it tbh…it’s unpluggable, just make sure the interior is clean and dry before you unplug) will NOT work.

There are no additional water bills, unless you live in Hsiuchi House.

As for internet…it’s included in you bill. However there is no public WiFi (NTU/ntupeap) outside of the common area. So you have to purchase a router and plug it into the internet port in your room if you want any sort of reliable wireless connection. Alternatively, you might want to get an unlimited data plan and use your phone as a hotspot, but since academic sites often check your school IP for access, it should be your last resort if convenience is a concern.

HMU if you have any other questions regarding the dorms or NTU in general.

1 Like