NTU student killing cats

The cat killer has struck again. Seems he won’t be stopped until he graduates to killing people.

He used a UBike to dispose of the body.

A restaurant in Taipei’s Wenshan District reported to the police earlier this month that its cat had been missing for several days. After examining footage from nearby surveillance cameras, the police were able to identify Chan Ho-yeung (陳皓揚) as the suspect.

During questioning by the police, Chan admitted to having taken the cat from the restaurant and then beating it to death, before dumping the carcass in the Xindian River.

Punishment?

Condemning Chan’s repeated cat-killing, NTU Chief Secretary Lin Ta-te (林達德) said the school’s Student Disciplinary Committee will meet to discuss the case.

In the worst-case scenario, Chan – a student at NTU’s Department of Chemical Engineering who is scheduled to graduate later this year – will be expelled, he said.

Chan was given two major demerits and two minor demerits by the university after he was found to have tortured and killed a popular stray cat named “Big Orange” near the school late last year.

His excuse was that he was in a bad mood because he was prosecuted for allegedly killing a stray cat last December, so he wanted to kill another cat as revenge.

I was about to post about this depressing development as well…

Apparently, even though the school promised that instead of expelling Chan, they were going to force him to go to counseling, Chan failed to show up after a few sessions. It is also becoming more clear that Chan is a repeat offender and it didn’t start with murdering “Big Orange.” Before that killing, Chan likely have killed 3 cats on a trip back to Macau, as the method matches his profile. His killing streak definitely won’t end with Spots as well, if he doesn’t get mandatory counseling and a punishment with consequences.

The good news is since Big Orange’s death, Chan is unable to leave the country, so … if the Legislature ever comes up with a decent animal rights act, Chan will get the punishment and help that he deserves.

Several animal organizations are organizing a protest August 16th. This has gone too far.

Don’t know what the authorities at Taida are thinking. This guy is engaged in torture. He does not deserve a degree from this institution, not until he is cured. He is doing worse for their reputation than any alleged lost face over anyone saying anything but that Taida is always right. What the heck?!

And that “the cat scratched me so I feel compelled to beat it to death with my fists” excuse is so outrageous, I’m baffled by why some people can buy in to it…

Both cats were plump and well taken care of. They were not forgotten strays, but someone’s family.They were ubiquitous in the community and everyone knew their names. What this guy hates is that he is less loved or welcomed than the cats. He feels helples and weak, so he tortures them. he hates himself and teh world, and that is in every action he takes. Now that he knows he can get away with it, it will only get worse. It is not just about a cat, it is about society’s safety. A person that disregards teh rules of society to harm others is a danger to all, animals or humans.

If you can join the protest/send letters to newspapers or Taida (NTU) authorities, please do.

Quick update:

Protest by animal groups at court: 虐殺大橘子首開庭 動保團體到場發聲[直播] | 社會 | 中央社 CNA

Trial:

The defendant, Chan Ho-yeung (陳皓揚), who is set to graduate from National Taiwan University (NTU) this summer, arrived at the court with police protection as hundreds of protesters were on hand to seek tougher punishment for animal abuse under the Animal Protection Act.

In his defense, Chan argued that he suffers from psychological problems and is unable to control his urge to kill cats.

The court raised the bail previously granted by the Taipei District Prosecutors Office to NT$200,000 (US$6,412.93) from NT$50,000 and restricted him from leaving the country.

NTU Chief Secretary Lin Ta-te (林達德) said the school’s Student Disciplinary Committee will meet to discuss the case by the end of the month.

Chan was given two major demerits and two minor demerits by the university for the December cat killing.

Lin said the university will not let Chan – a student in the Department of Chemical Engineering – complete procedures to obtain his diploma and formally graduate before a disciplinary decision is made.

Chan will be expelled if he is given one more minor demerit, Lin said.

Chan’s bail was raised to 200 thousand NTD.

In his newest statement, Chan says he lied about killing Spots being premeditated. Now he claims it was an impulse kill as he just happened to pass by and noticed Spots, then failed to control his urge of killing Spots.

The weather was only 15 degrees, and I was riding my bicycle wearing gloves when I passed by. I didn’t know about the cat being there, I simply couldn’t control my urges to kill cats, and acted when I noticed it. Being there was just happenstance, and what I said about going there to buy coffee isn’t the truth.

天氣只有15度, 我戴手套騎單車剛好經過,我從來不知那裡有貓,我控制不了殺貓的衝動,看到牠就忍不住衝動犯案;我會去那裡,並非我之前說的要去買咖啡

I’m not sure if the new version of the story makes him look any better, but one of his statements is a lie.

The latest news has mobs beating the crap out of Chan as he stepped out of the court room for the trail of the torture and murder of Big Orange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHYQQ9qDCfA

The chaotic process injured at least 3 police.

It’s a disgrace. I mean the police can’t even set up a perimeter outside the court room that’s free of reporters and the general public?

Youse guys are looking at this as normal people. Chan is simply not normal. He’s a practiced manipulator and liar. Does nobody think it’s a bit odd that he’s twisting the entire judicial system and the university around his little finger? He’s probably laughing his bollocks off about that. He’s a psychopath, pure and simple. He is beyond any sort of help or counselling.

Yeah, I’m fully expecting someone to find human bodies buried in his back yard at some point.

Indeed. It would have been much tidier if they’d let people have a go at him one at a time.

I’d watch that on pay per view.

About the cat-to-human concern, the “Canadian Psycho” a few years ago (who went from cats to at least one human victim) also claimed to be mentally ill and therefore not responsible for his actions when he was on trial for human murder. He lost. Apparently he’s never been charged for making the animal cruelty videos he allegedly posted online.

Michael Thurton has an intersting piece about this development, regarding the use of people as a scapegoat.

It seems to me that the Judiciary system is ineffective and most people are fed up ith us and have no faith in it, with its plague of dinosaur judges and antiquated pratices, so this parade of suspects in front of the cameras and angry mobs -which will result in several deaths at some point trust me- is a show for support. But it will backfire as innocents pile up in bloody streets, both human and pet companions. No smoke screen can cover the lascivious practices of teh law enforcement in bed with mafia and heatless business people, not to mention sychpaths and assorted menaces they unleash on the population, just because they can.

1 Like

At last Taida kicked the cat killer out of the school.

http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/life/20160830/938514/殺貓犯陳皓揚遭退學 台大:不再陪同出庭

Now let’s see if visa restrictions apply to him and he leaves the island for good. As a student, no more student visa, he should leave. Unless as Overseas Chinese -Macau resident- different rules apply.

EDIT:
Netizens discuss that he was not expelled, so he gets to keep his credits. So he can continue his studies elsewhere. Who’s the mountain behind this villain? Who protects him?

And the students are organizaing another protest when he goe sto court… last one was a disaster, amy I remind everyone. The mood is worse this time.

is being unable to control your urge to kill such a good defence? why is he even walking the streets after saying that. did those judges forget about the small kid murdered this year?

Just wondering, this article

says he was “expelled”. The Apple articles say “退學處分”. Is there a technical distinction lost in translation?

In the apple article it says

[…] 由於陳皓揚學分都已修畢,仍可申請修課證明,但無法領取台大畢業證書。

Meaning “since he already finished all his credits he can apply for a “修課證明書” (credit proof?), but cannot obtain a graduation certificate from NTU.”

「退學處分」just means something like “expulsion disciplinary action”, so yes he was expelled. But it appears as if he can use his credits and potentially get a graduation certificate from elsewhere.

I see, thanks. Is there another term for a harsher sort of expulsion, without the option for “credit proof”?

None that I have heard of. But I that doesn’t mean there cannot be expulsion without that option.

I need to look up the FB post but apparently there was that optoon and the netizens were upset because the guy can transfer his credits. Moreover, he is practically done with his studies, so he ca pack up and leave -if he leaves- without much consequence.

Ther eis a new bruhaha on this case because another cat killer, a Taiwanese guy, was actually given prision time. 11 months I think. So the netizens are asking what is the difference? A Taida degree?

This is Taiwan. Not gonna happen even if someone does organize such an event.