oBike (ceased operation)

…I knew it was too good to be true.

1 Like

Yeah, that is how Ponzi schemes work …
Can’t wait to see their bikes gone here too … although that might take a while.

Saw this one today at the harbour. It looked pitiful and rusted.

So tell me again how this scheme worked out in Hualien? I hardly see them being ridden any more around town - I’d like to know how many bikes are ‘available for use’ on the app today, and how that compared to 2 years ago.

The only way to run these schemes in large towns is docking stations. It gives the ‘control’ required, and if they’re well situated, then you should only be a 5 minute walk from the nearest station.

IMG_7545
IMG_7544

Looks like they are done for, “entered history”.

It’s dead and gone in Taiwan. There was news from a meeting of the transportation dept. that they’d cleaned out their offices and they owed a bunch in impound charges. I’ve been looking around for a bike to pinch, but I waited too long.

You couldn’t pay me to take one of those rusting dead weight pieces of junk!

Guy

Yea I got 2 of them right outside my place…

I scanned the code and was wondering why the link was dead.

I’m sure Luke could use it for parts… it’s got at least 2 generator hubs on it, those could go for some money.

Some of them were crap, some were ok, and a few were good. One of the good ones was nearby here, but someone else got to it first.

I do want one of the electric hubs. I found one with a twisted wheel rim today. I’ll check for one next time.

Copper!

So a complete failure of a scheme. What an utter waste of time / money / effort.
Hualien could have a great bike network by now, if, if … it’d been run / implemented properly.

Is it necessary though? I feel like it’d help with people visiting and for locals to get around, but what bnb doesn’t provide bikes and what local doesn’t already have a means of transport?

Agreed. Nice bike parking racks for privately owned bikes in key locations would be cheap to maintain and more useful and effective.

Of the two that I have here, one of them have the old school clip on generator thing, the other has a hub. I do not know if any of them work by the way, have not tried it.

Also the bike itself is very hard to ride. I felt like I need 3 times the effort to ride those O bikes vs. U bikes and I do not know if it’s due to the gearing, but I am exhausted after 1km, whereas with U bikes I can go for miles. Those O bikes are fixed gears. I thought maybe it’s because the tires were not inflated, but when I try to inflate it, I can’t find a valve to inflate it with. So maybe it has one of those solid tires that doesn’t need air?

Is it possible at all to retrofit change gears (cassettes or freewheels) onto a fixed gear bike? Or at least make it easier to pedal because it’s stuck on the fastest speed setting and pedaling with it is extremely hard even with a slight grade.

Anything to promote the bike. Hualien City is becoming choked with the car, at rush hour vehicles can be backed up from traffic light to traffic light. There’s no space in the city, yet still they’re building roads and roads. How about sending a mission to Holland, and coming back with a scheme for a few dedicated cycle lanes? (and yes, I mean closing some streets to cars / bikes). If you create covered cycleways, you can ride here all summer. It’s beautifully flat except for the push up to Meilun, and if you build the bike lanes, then people will come and ride. Even more so, if there’s a lattice of U-bikes.

But hey, I’m just a dreamer.

Well, if you put it that way. I think I gotta agree. More bike lanes, less cars. Who doesn’t want that.

@ranlee, 2 posts in 1 thread in 12 hours?
I pray you haven’t been subject to a RIF action by your employer. :slight_smile:

Wait…how did you find out before me?

Two words: Oil companies

NO, they just tried to get it in IPO and make money, dash off with it.