On Same Sex Unions, the KMT Belongs in a Museum - thinking-taiwan.com

Mr. Cole summarizes it well:

See more at: thinking-taiwan.com/one-same-sex … -a-museum/

I completely agree, but I’d like to point out that Thinking Taiwan is part of Tsai Ing-wen’s non-profit, so it’s not exactly an unbiased source. Just keep that in mind while reading.

That, I didn’t know, I thought they were not politically affiliated.

In any case, it’s mainly Mr. Cole’s writing I follow.

Cole has complete editorial freedom. Unless you have evidence to the contrary you shouldn’t make these kind of lazy insinuations.

Much more germane is the fact Cole’s mother is a lesbian married to another woman.

I have a lot of respect for Cole, but weigh the number of articles criticizing the DPP on Thinking Taiwan to the number criticizing the KMT.

Cole needs no spur to write against the kmt. So the bias seems entirely editorial.

Anyway just look at how many articlrs are on the student movement? That’s purely Cole’s territory and half the magazine is on this topic.

I think he is being tested now with the Chen Wei-ting scandal. Can he be objective about someone he obvious likes and respect?

Cole needs no spur to write against the kmt. So the bias seems entirely editorial.[/quote]

Yes, I believe he addressed this here: thinking-taiwan.com/musings-on-t … e-neutral/

Such lovely Christian values:

The KMT belongs in a museum? Probably hard for many Westerners to accept, but having a look at polls on same sex unions and capital punishment in Taiwan should be quite interesting. Taiwanese are far less liberal than many foreigners hope them to be.

The basic sentiment is that people who are illiberal belong in a museum, yes. I would add that many in the DPP and outside of it also belong in a museum if they do not support gay marriage. :thumbsup:

The basic sentiment is that people who are illiberal belong in a museum, yes. I would add that many in the DPP and outside of it also belong in a museum if they do not support gay marriage. :thumbsup:[/quote]

I did not provide my personal opinioj on this issuel but wahted to point out that this is not a KMT issue. There is wide spread opposition to gay marriage in Taiwanese society. And support for capital punishment. Taiwan’s tolerance towards gay people is something more along the lines of ignorance.

[quote=“hsinhai78”]
I did not provide my personal opinioj on this issuel but wahted to point out that this is not a KMT issue. There is wide spread opposition to gay marriage in Taiwanese society. And support for capital punishment. Taiwan’s tolerance towards gay people is something more along the lines of ignorance.[/quote]
There is wide spread opposition to gay marriage in pretty much every country(maybe except for the ever-excellent ones like Denmark or Sweden). Some that have already legalised it remain highly polarized over this issue.
Idk how many Taiwanese you personally know but more than 80% of the people I know support gay marriage(there’s a clear division between age groups though), and they certainly don’t support it because of their “ignorance”, whatever that means.

Capital punishment is bad, but supporting capital punishment has nothing to deal with opposing gay marriage.

Btw I haven’t seen any foreigners(or accurately speaking, Westerners) who have ever said that Taiwan is a liberal country, most agree that Taiwan is a conservative society, just slightly more tolerant than countries nearby, which isn’t exactly a hard task to achieve as they are mostly poisonously intolerant.

stormmediagroup.com/opencms/ … 2804cba5a1

You should really step out of that conservative waisheng bubble you seem to live in every once in a while.

I think neither party has been progressive on human rights issues. Read some of Brian Kennedy’s posts on here from years past and his disappointment with the DPP. I would say that social conservatism in Taiwan is centered around deep green areas such as Tainan. :laughing:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … ts#p337747

I also think it is wrong to paint all KMT supporters and their media proxies in Taiwan as against same sex unions. The China Post has been quite supportive of extending rights.

chinapost.com.tw/editorial/t … ime-is.htm

peger, those are great numbers, but the problem is that the majority of the population is over 40. You can’t just write them off as old geezers because they really are the face of Taiwan. There aren’t enough young people to change this country. It’s sad but true.

The article focused on the young demographic but 54% of all respondents irrespective of age or any other classification supported SSM. The tipping point has already been reached; the fact that young people are even more supportive just shows that it’s irreversible.

It speaks to the poll’s favor that it was done by a university and not by an interest-driven group, but I’m skeptical of all opinion polls. People are fickle and often act differently than what they say. The numbers are encouraging, at the very least, though.