Online degrees still not accepted in Taiwan?

Then I don’t know. Is your university 100% online?

Even UT Austin has online degrees now, and surely TECO must accept that? In fact a good portion of my classes, esp. general ed classes are 95% online (you still must show up for tests).

University of phoenix isn’t 100% online, they have options to take classes at a brick and mortar location.

Either that or the FET program doesn’t know any better or is BSing you.

WGU is 100% online, although I took classes in person at my local community college before transferring there. I guess as long as the school offers in-person classes, there is plausible deniability there.

Yea that might be one reason.

Degrees in education, or religion? Do you know which universities?

If they’re American, it’s possible to get a sub license from Taiwan, which counts. There’s also Moreland University or something that helps anyone from anywhere get an American teaching license.

There are some online unis that have special designations for their online degrees to separate them from traditional ones. iMBA is one I’ve seen, but IMBA can also mean “international” at some schools. You would have to look it up at the university and compare to know the difference. I also saw a school offering an MS in Psychology and an MA is Psychology. The second was on-campus and accredited by one of the organizations that accredits psychology programs. Both were regionally accredited.

If anyone comes to this years later and the link doesn’t work, google the Chinese text. That should take you to the current link.

Also, this is NOT a MOE approved list. It’s a list, last I checked, of universities that are accredited in their own country. The purpose stated is for Taiwanese citizens considering studying abroad. There was once an MOE approved list. Around the time America changed it’s accreditation system, the list went away. Not sure if the events were linked. The current list is not intended for hiring purposes, work permits, and the like. It says somewhere that each should be evaluated separately. However, the laws relating for foreign labor does reference an MOE approved list of universities, but either the list is not publicly available or MOE has another policy.

As for the 50% in person rule, that is the FET program’s policy. I’ve also seen some universities have that requirement in their hiring or admissions policies. Someone here who got a nationally accredited masters degree from Moreland couldn’t get a pay rise from his/her public school. But those policies are not universal. Some schools/companies may reference the MOE list linked above, others may decide on a whim.

1 Like

An update to this topic. I think schools (cram schools at least) are misinterpreting the law when they decide to disqualify foreigners who have distance learning degrees. There seem to be different requirements for foreigners who engage in “special and technical work” and cram school teachers. I am no lawyer and I could be wrong here, but I will try to upload a couple screenshots to back up what I am saying:

First screenshot: EZ Work Taiwan-Full-time Foreign Teacher in Cram School

Second screenshot: How to ratify the diplomas and certificates of foreigners engaging in special and technical work?

Operational Manual for Reviewing Employment
Permit Application of Foreign Teachers at
Cram School on the same site says

For the degree made by distance
education, its school shall meet
with Article 4 of Regulations
Regarding the Assessment and
Recognition of Foreign
Academic Credentials
(hereinafter referred to as
Regulations Regarding the
Assessment and Recognition of
Foreign Academic Credentials).
In addition, the credits learned
through distance education shall
not be more than 1/2 of total
graduation credits
in accordance
with Article 7 of Regulations
Regarding the Assessment and
Recognition of Foreign
Academic Credentials for
Institutions of Higher Education
and Article 7 of Implementation
Regulations Regarding Distance
Learning by Universities.

Article 42 of Qualifications and Criteria Standards for foreigners undertaking the jobs specified under Article 46.1.1 to 46.1.6 of the Employment Service Act was moved to Article 5-1 of The Qualifications and Criteria Standards of the Employment of Foreign Professionals Engaging in Professional Knowledge or Skills for Short-term Supplementary Learning Centers.

On the old Article 42, there is a notice saying the degree should not be more that 50% remote, and i guess the same is applied to the new Article 5-1. you may confirm at WDA.

According to Article 5 and Article 42 of the “Foreigners Engaged in Employment Services Law, Article 46, Paragraph 1, Subparagraph 1 to Subparagraph 6, Work Qualification and Examination Standards”, the so-called “foreigner’s work qualification education” should meet the circumstances