Open-Work Permit Application Procedures - Step by step

You can now get your own copy of this step by step guide which includes the required application forms for the Open-Work Permit. Just go to the following link and download it and follow the instructions. I uploaded the files to a free file server host called 4Shared. There is no cost for this download and you do not need to make an account. Be sure to click the big blue [color=#0000FF]DOWNLOAD NOW[/color] button. A timer will begin and you must wait about 20 seconds before you can download it for free. Once the timer runs out, a blue [color=#0000FF]DOWNLOAD FILE NOW[/color] link will appear above the timer. Click on this link and the download will begin. :bow:

[color=#FF0000]Open-Work Permit Step by Step Guide Download Link[/color]

=========================================================================================

So, you jumped through those rings of fire and you finally got your APRC! Congratulations and welcome to the club! :bravo: :discodance:

Now, you need to finalize the deal by getting yourself the highly coveted [color=#FF0000]Open-Work Permit[/color].

[color=#FF0000]Who is eligible for an Open-Work Permit?[/color] Foreigners who have obtained permanent resident status in the R.O.C., and currently possess an Alien Permanent Resident Certificate (APRC). Note: Foreigners married to a Taiwanese spouse and on a JFRV are also eligible for it, but has been unnecessary since late 2002 due to policy changes which state that spouses of Taiwanese citizens automatically have unrestricted work rights and therefore no longer need to get the Open-Work Permit. I was one of the first JFRV spouses to get the Open-Work Permit and six months later it was no longer necessary! :fume: If you have an APRC and you wish to work legally, you MUST get the Open-Work Permit, itā€™s not optional.

[color=#FF0000]What is an Open-Work Permit?[/color] Itā€™s a neat little wallet sized card that states that you no longer need a company to sponsor you for a work-permit in order to accept employment. Basically, you have unrestricted work rights and can work any job or multiple jobs that a Taiwanese can work to include self-employment as long as you meet the qualifications for the position. The Open-Work Permit doesnā€™t give you the right to work in any position that you donā€™t hold the qualifications. Example: You canā€™t work as an English teacher if you donā€™t meet the Ministry of Educationā€™s basic qualification of possessing a four-year college degree from a recognized (recognized by Taiwan) institution of higher learning. Other exceptions of course include positions that require R.O.C. Nationality like police officer, military officer, or civil service worker. Additionally, the Open-Work Permit doesnā€™t give you permission to evade your tax responsibilities whether you work for another company, multiple companies, or are self-employed. Conduct yourself accordingly.

[color=#FF0000]How do I apply for an Open-Work Permit?[/color] You need to go to the Bureau of Employment and Vocational Training (BEVT) and apply for it. Hereā€™s the address and map location.

[color=#FF0000]EDIT 8/3/2013: As of July 29, 2013, the location to obtain your Open Work Permit is:[/color]

The new address is:
Taipei City, Zhongzheng District, Zhonghua Rd. Sec. 1, Number 39, 10th & 11th floors
台北åø‚äø­ę­£å€äø­čÆč·Æäø€ę®µ39號10ęؓ/11ęؓ

Take MRT, get off at Ximen Station, exit 5. Itā€™s a five-minute walk north.

Click on the image below to see full size.

Iā€™ve applied for the Open-Work Permit four times in the past seven years and Iā€™ve created a step by step guide that I believe is extremely simple in how to apply for the Open-Work Permit. Let me know if any of my information or procedures have changed and/or is out of date. Thanks, and good luck!

======================================================================

[color=#FF0000]Step by step instructions:[/color]

1. Go to one of the following web addresses and download a blank application for the Open-Work Permit. You can choose either PDF format or DOC format. Or you can simply download the entire package at the download link listed at top of this posting.

Open-Work Permit Application (PDF Format)

Open-Work Permit Application (DOC Format)

1. Use your computer to fill out the Open-Work Permit Application. Both the PDF and DOC formats are not protected, so you are free to edit them and enter your own data into them so they look neat and tidy. Note: The BEVT has not created a separate and more correct application form for APRC holders applying for an Open-Work Permit. Therefore, the form you need to use is still erroneously titled, ā€œApplication Form For Hiring Foreigners (Personal)". It gets filled out like you are hiring yourself. Anyway, just fill it out like my example below and you will be fine.

1. Prepare the following documents and items to take with you to the BEVT:

a. Your filled out application form for the Open-Work Permit.
b. Your passport.
c. A copy of your passport page.
d. Your APRC.
e. A copy of your APRC (front & back)
f. A current photograph for the application form for the Open-Work Permit.
g. Your chop with your Chinese name on it. (you can also just sign the application instead if you donā€™t have a chop or forget to bring it)
h. $100 NTD for the application fee.

1. Go to the BEVT between the hours of 8:30am to 5:30pm. See address and maps above. Tip: The best time to go is right at 8:30am on a Monday morning. Itā€™s always worked for me. The easiest way to get there is to ride the Danshui MRT line (red line) and get off at the Zhongshan Station (äø­å±±ē«™). Go out the number 2 exit which is on the same side of the street as McDonaldā€™s on Nanjing West Road (南äŗ¬č„æč·Æ). Hail a taxi cab and show him the Chinese address for the BEVT. It should only take a few minutes to get there and it has only ever cost me 75 NTD for the trip.

2. Walk straight through the doors and go to the Information counter conveniently located between Counter 5 and Counter 6 and hand in your completed application package with all your items in a nice folder to the attendant. If you are really fortunate, you will meet an older balding man with glasses named Mr. Liu Chin-Yung (呂金ę°ø). Heā€™s in charge of the Foreign Workers Application Division (外勞čرåÆēµ„ ę„­å‹™äæƒé€²å“”). If he assists you in filing your application, youā€™re all set. I canā€™t say enough about his politeness, helpfulness, kindness, English speaking ability, and most importantly his competence! Treat this man right and youā€™re golden! (Shout out: Hey Mr. Liu, youā€™re the man!) :notworthy:

3. After your application has been perused and checked for correctness and completeness you will give the attendant a crisp $100 NTD note for payment. The attendant will staple the receipt to the top of your application form and also make sure that your picture has been pasted to your application.

4. The attendant will ask you whether you want your Open-Work Permit mailed to your home address or whether you would rather come back and pick it up in person. If you want to have it mailed to your home address, you will need to fill out another form. I recommend going to pick it up yourself so if there are any errors, you can get them corrected more quickly than if you had received the Open-Work Permit by mail. My personal preference is to always pick up important documents in person. When the attendant finishes with your application they will hand it back to you and direct you to counter #3.

5. Turn to your left and walk around the corner to the far right. You will see a machine with the numbers #1, #2, #3, #4. on it for dispensing turn slips. You know the number that tells you when itā€™s your turn. Push the #3 button on top of the little machine and take your number. When your number comes up, proceed to counter #3. This is where you will file your application. The attendant that receives your completed application form will file it into the computer system. When they are finished entering your data into the computer system, they will print out an A4 sized receipt and give it to you. Then you either need to wait for the Open-Work Permit to come to your home address via mail, or come back to the BEVT on the date indicated at the top of your receipt. They will usually circle the date you can return to pick up the Open-Work Permit at the top of the receipt for you. It takes 7 working days to get your completed Open-Work Permit. Hereā€™s an example of what the receipt looks like.

6. [color=#FF0000]Updated information 9-16-2010. [/color] Some applicants are reporting that itā€™s necessary to provide yet another copy of your APRC (front & back) if you pick it up in person. Itā€™s always good judgement to always take your passport and APRC with an additional copy of each just in case. If you forget, thereā€™s a coin operated photocopy machine just inside the door when you enter. On the designated date return to the BEVT and pick up your Open-Work Permit. Itā€™s only paper, so they should give you a plastic sleeve to proetect it. However, I recommend that you laminate it the day you get it in order to protect it. Itā€™s way better than the little plastic sleeve that they give you and wonā€™t protect it against water damage. I laminated mine and it still looks brand new. Hereā€™s an example of what the front of it and the back of it look like.

1. [color=#FF0000]Updated Information (6-29-2010)[/color] When your passport expires and you get a new one, your passport number obviously changes. Subsequently, you are required to get a new APRC to reflect the change in your passport number.

As far as the Open-Work Permit goesā€¦you [color=#FF0000]MUST[/color] get a new one to reflect your new passport number as well! Here are the procedures.

1. Make a photocopy of your old passport. Just the picture and information page.

2. Make a photocopy of your new passport. Just the picture and the information page.

3. Make a photocopy of your new APRC, front and back.

4. Fill out a new Application Form For Hiring Foreigners (Personal) using your new passport number and donā€™t forget to affix a current picture to the application, just as before.

Go to the BEVT during normal working hours and turn all your paperwork into Mr. Liu at counter 1. Donā€™t forget to take the following items.

1. Dutifully filled in application form.

2. Current photo affixed to the application form.

3. Old passport plus the copy.

4. New passport plus the copy.

5. New APRC plus the copy.

6. The old Open-Work Permit with your old passport number on it. You must return it in order to be issued a new one.

7. Your chop with your Chinese name on it. (you can also just sign the application instead if you donā€™t have a chop or forget to bring it)

8. There is no fee for updating the OWP, so thatā€™s a bonus because we have to pay a fee for updating our APRCs when we change our passports.

9. Enjoy your new found freedom of never needing to apply for a work-permit again! I hope you found this step by step guide helpful.

Good luck. Northcoast Surfer

5 Likes

Thanks Surfer for posting this step-by-step guide to freedom :notworthy: Itā€™ll surely come in handy for those wanting to apply for the OWP, which of course, is a must for anyone holding an APRC.

A fantastic effort, Mr Surfer. Karma to you, my good man. :bow:

Thanks a lot NC, very informative, shame the only office for it seems to be in Taipei. :unamused:

BTW, your name is really Cody Maverick? You shouldnā€™t of outed yourself so easily.

An EXCELLENT post from Northcoast Surfer, as always.

This should be a sticky. Information of this quality needs to remain visible and accessible. It should also be linked to instructions on getting an APRC.

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Agree!

Thank you, Northcoast Surfer. :notworthy: :bravo:

:bravo: Thanks for this post NS! I agree that it should be made a sticky!

I live in Taoyuan City and I sent my application via registered mail, so you actually donā€™t need to visit the office if you live outside of the capital.

Now my question is, how about kindy? Same rules as before, or is it allowed on an Open Work Permit (with regards to teaching English)? Would an administrative job be allowed? No-one Iā€™ve spoken to was too sure about this.

Just to confirm that Northcoastā€™s information was absolutely correct and the process went perfectly. I was even greeted by the very friendly Mr.Liu (or at least I think that was him :thumbsup: )

Modā€™sā€¦ surely this is a sticky???

I assume that you just sent copies of your ARC and passport and not the real documents, correct? How did you pay the 100NT?

I assume that you just sent copies of your ARC and passport and not the real documents, correct? How did you pay the 100NT?[/quote]
Yes, they only needed the copies and they asked me to send the $100 in cash and send it with registered mail. No problems!

[quote=ā€œA-haā€]Now my question is, how about kindy? Same rules as before, or is it allowed on an Open Work Permit (with regards to teaching English)? Would an administrative job be allowed? No-one Iā€™ve spoken to was too sure about this.[/quote]Iā€™ll take a shot at answering this question. An Open Work Permit allows APRC holders to engage in any employment that a Taiwanese can as long as we are qualified for the position, and also that itā€™s not employment that requires citizenship. Now, I havenā€™t been following any kindergarten laws recently so perhaps my facts are erroneous or outdated. At any rate, the last I knewā€¦

The MOE doesnā€™t allow English classes to be taught at any government kindergartens or even private kindergartens that receive subsidies. This was the law at one time and Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s still in effect, or not. During this time, foreigners werenā€™t allowed to teach English in kindergartens and neither were Taiwanese citizens. I know this because I have a Taiwanese friend who is an English teacher and was teaching in a kindergarten at that time. She was not listed as an English teacher, but instead a music teacher. Whenever, inpectors came to the kindergarten, she would switch to Chinese and have the children sing songs and dance until they left. She was even questioned by inspectors on whether or not she was an English teacher or if she was teaching English as having an English curriculum was not allowed during this time.

So, if it is still true that Taiwanese citizens canā€™t teach English at a kindergarten, an APRC holder with an OWP canā€™t, either. Now, as for administrative jobs at a kindergarten that donā€™t involve teaching English, probably ok, but would be highly suspect by government inspectors. I can see it now, ā€œHeā€™s our accountant and he doesnā€™t teach English here and we have no English curriculum!ā€ Believable? Sureā€¦riiiiiiiiight!

just got open-work permit :slight_smile:
But i donā€™t understand why they donā€™t give it automatically with APRC.

probably it will be changed later like re-entry permit before.

also would be good to know how to use this Open-Work permit.
Does it necessary to register it in company where youā€™re working or not?

[quote=ā€œtairusā€]also would be good to know how to use this Open-Work permit.
Does it necessary to register it in company where youā€™re working or not?[/quote]

What do you mean by register in the company? :eh:

Now, that is a very interesting question. With an OWP, there is no need for the company to go through the loops to get you a work permit or give you the documents to get a work visa/have it renewed. So, my logic says it should be a matter of just having you on the payroll and discounting your NHI and taxes from it as usual. Of course, logic does not necessarily apply to matters related to Gā€™mentā€¦

I was thinking such was the situation in my case -meaning Human Resources should be very happy about it- but otherwise, there shouldnā€™t be any further changes. However, if for instance I leave to take employment in another company, what next? Do they need to prove to NIA/CLA/Tax office that their resident atoga has OWP or do they just let it be?

Tairus, your question is quite valid/interesting/challenging.

Yep, thatā€™s what i meant :slight_smile:

I think, government will ask for work permit from company if they will see foreigner there. Will they check with CLA by themself or will ask company to prove it first? There is no any instruction on OWP sheet.
Probably, if i will go to another company they will ask for OP/OWP and will see it, but such changing for current company is unknown. Currently, iā€™m married to taiwanese, so OWP for now is just piece of sheet (sounds funny :slight_smile: ). So, govermnent wonā€™t care of it til divorce.

So if you have an APRC and an OWP and you are teaching in a bushiban and the authorities come inā€¦ what happens? Do you show them your degree and thatā€™s it? Do you show them an old work permit for teaching? Iā€™m confused. Has this happened to anyone out there??

And maybe this is a dumb question but do you have to surrender your old ARC upon receipt of your new APRC?

[quote=ā€œbuddahianā€]So if you have an APRC and an OWP and you are teaching in a bushiban and the authorities come inā€¦ what happens? Do you show them your degree and thatā€™s it? Do you show them an old work permit for teaching?[/quote]You show them your APRC and your OWP. Thatā€™s it.

[quote=ā€œbuddahianā€]do you have to surrender your old ARC upon receipt of your new APRC?[/quote]Yes, of course. When you go in to get your APRC, you will surrender your ARC. Thatā€™s it.

Thanks for the reply and for all your help in this regard.
So, Iā€™m confused again (it seems to happen a lot)ā€¦ have things changed recently? Because everyone has said in the past that you still need a degree to teach Englishā€¦ why would the authorities not want to check it? Have you experienced this personally?
Sorry for all the questions but Iā€™m in the final stages of getting my APRC and want to be informed.

BTW - For those in the process, I got my Type B medical in under an hour at Ren-ai hospital today @ 1660nt, no shots, no stool :discodance:

[quote=ā€œbuddahianā€]have things changed recently? Because everyone has said in the past that you still need a degree to teach Englishā€¦ why would the authorities not want to check it?[/quote]By the letter of the law, everyone who works in Taiwan needs a work permit. Everyone who teaches English in Taiwan needs a four-year degree from a university which is recognized by Taiwan and the teacher must hail from a country where English is an official language.

Therefore, when the authorities check on a buxiban, they will ask to see the teacherā€™s ARC which will carry all the relevant information on it. If a teacher has a proper ARC which carries the name of the school they are teaching in, then they will not second guess the judgment of the authorities who granted the work permit for English teaching in the first place. They never ask to see the university degree. I mean, who carries it on their person?

In the case of JFRV ARC (spouses of Taiwan nationals), there is no need for a work permit as they have unrestricted work rights. For APRC holders, they have an OWP, which gives unrestricted work rights. However, by the law, JFRV ARC holders and APRC holders are still required to have a college degree in order to perform the duties of English teacher. However, Iā€™ve never heard of any JFRV ARC or APRC holders getting caught for this. In fact, I know many JFRV ARC holders who donā€™t have a college degree, but they still teach English.

[quote=ā€œNorthcoast Surferā€]
In the case of JFRV ARC (spouses of Taiwan nationals), there is no need for a work permit as they have unrestricted work rights. For APRC holders, they have an OWP, which gives unrestricted work rights. However, by the law, JFRV ARC holders and APRC holders are still required to have a college degree in order to perform the duties of English teacher. However, Iā€™ve never heard of any JFRV ARC or APRC holders getting caught for this. [/quote]

Neither have I. Just relax, all of this will soon be over! :slight_smile: