Open work permit no longer included with APRC

I just changed my JFRV to an APRC. When I went to go pick it up, they told me I no longer have working rights and that I would need to apply for a work permit seperately from my APRC.

WTF?!

They told me this is a new law as of this year.

Can anyone confirm that they also had to apply for a separate work permit when they got their APRC?

[quote=“Quarters”]I just changed my JFRV to an APRC. When I went to go pick it up, they told me I no longer have working rights and that I would need to apply for a work permit seperately from my APRC.

WTF?!

They told me this is a new law as of this year.

Can anyone confirm that they also had to apply for a separate work permit when they got their APRC?[/quote]

Wasn’t that always the case with an APRC, you had to separately apply for an open work permit?

See [url]Open-Work Permit Application Procedures - Step by step

[quote=“Quarters”]
Can anyone confirm that they also had to apply for a separate work permit when they got their APRC?[/quote]
Because your family member is no longer sponsoring your work permit, of course you have to apply for your own.

And it’s not a new thing. I had to do it seven years ago.

On the bright side, you never have to apply for it again! :discodance:

Guy

The main difference is that the work permit is now yours. It doe snot belong to the company or anyone else. Yours to do as you please.

Takes 10 minutes. Then the sky is the limit. Own business, no work, work 5 jobs, whatever.

This is not a new policy. When I got my APRC back in 2013 I had to do the same. No big deal–but do take the time to get the work permit!

Guy

Quarters will have to verify the new law but it doesn’t sound like anything changed. An APRC is not a work permit in itself and an APRC holder needs to apply for an open work permit separately.

What everyone else said. You just go to the dept. of labour affairs, fill in a pointless form, flash your shiny new ARPC, and give them (IIRC) two photos. In return, they give you an unimpressive little card that allows you to do anything you like. Workwise, I mean. Takes about an hour.

The card doesn’t have a photo on it, so I’ve no idea what they do with the photos.

Sorry…I have been living under a rock for the past 10 years. Ha!
You are right. Having to apply for a separate work permit is nothing new. My bad. Carry on.

What happened if you lost that paper 13 years ago… It was just a letter actually… Should I do anything?