Options after divorce

Hey guys… I’m not sure it’s going to end in divorce but it’s looking pretty rocky… most days it fluctuates between a 40-80% probablility, so I thought I’d best find out my options to base future decisions on.
We have a daughter, so I’d like to remain in Taiwan afterwards, what are my options - I don’t work in Taiwan, I work internationally and fly in (typically, currently due to a recession in my business Im taking a year or so off).
Can I get my friend who runs a cram school to set me up with an APRC?
What are my other options for remaining on Taiwan post-divorce? I really don’t want to get married again - possibly ever… it’s a horrible institution that I seem inept at.

[quote=“tmz_99”]Hey guys… I’m not sure it’s going to end in divorce but it’s looking pretty rocky… most days it fluctuates between a 40-80% probablility, so I thought I’d best find out my options to base future decisions on.
We have a daughter, so I’d like to remain in Taiwan afterwards, what are my options - I don’t work in Taiwan, I work internationally and fly in (typically, currently due to a recession in my business Im taking a year or so off).
What are my other options for remaining on Taiwan post-divorce? I really don’t want to get married again - possibly ever… it’s a horrible institution that I seem inept at.[/quote]

How can a friend set you up with an APRC? Maybe an ARC if you take nominal teaching hours but unless you marry your friend there’s no APRC. There’s nowt wrong with 3 month visa runs. I’ve been doing them for a coupla years now.

Could you just live separately and not divorce? Unless one of you wants to marry again, that is an option. Stay legally married but living apart and separate lives?

yeah, she is talking about still living in the same house buy being emotionally detached and still doing things together… but it’s kind of as close to a living hell as I can imagine…

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“tmz_99”]Hey guys… I’m not sure it’s going to end in divorce but it’s looking pretty rocky… most days it fluctuates between a 40-80% probablility, so I thought I’d best find out my options to base future decisions on.
What are my other options for remaining on Taiwan post-divorce? I really don’t want to get married again - possibly ever… it’s a horrible institution that I seem inept at.[/quote]

How can a friend set you up with an APRC? Maybe an ARC if you take nominal teaching hours but unless you marry your friend there’s no APRC. There’s nowt wrong with 3 month visa runs. I’ve been doing them for a coupla years now.[/quote]

Can i still own property / vehicles on 3 month runs?
Sorry, wasnt aware difference between ARC / APRC… does he need to prove to someone Im actually working there??..

I did visa runs for fifteen years. You do NOT have NHI, you can NOT own a vehicle , and you can’t even drive unless you already have one of those forever taiwan licenses or plan to get an international license and extend every 30 days (troublesome).

That is not the best solution nowadays.

LIve apart, stay married , unless one party intends to marry again.

@OP: You better not divorce until you qualify for an APRC. An APRC will let you reside in Taiwan free of any residence purpose (i.e. work, study, family) and you can also apply for an open work permit. Since when do you live in Taiwan and what is your current residence purpose? Also, keep in mind that unless adultery is involved, your wife cannot divorce you without your consent.

Technically, he still couldn’t get an APRC even if he married his friend.

Been here 4 years for marriage purposes… now onto the second ARC since I got here…(first one only lasted a year i seem to remember)…

Been here 4 years for marriage purposes… now onto the second ARC since I got here…(first one only lasted a year i seem to remember)…[/quote]

Apply for your APRC once you have reached 5 years and refuse to divorce before.

Been here 4 years for marriage purposes… now onto the second ARC since I got here…(first one only lasted a year i seem to remember)…[/quote]

Apply for your APRC once you have reached 5 years and refuse to divorce before.[/quote]

solid advice! :slight_smile: will do! hang on for dear life :slight_smile: