Orchid Island: Must see things

We actually got tickets to go by air (i cant stomach the ferries on that coast) so we are leaving tonight to go to taidong for the flight tomorrow morning.

Pretty last minute and rushed, but anyone have any must see areas/things especially for the nature lover? Not so into the normal “famous _____ soup” restaurant, more into caves, flora and fauna type stuff.

Go see the lanyu scops owls at night (your B&B will know).

Try and get breakfast on Sunday when everything is closed and ask them why they’re closed. They’ll tell you “It’s Jesus Day.” :laughing:

there is a pleasant walk/scramble to the highest part of the island that takes an hour or two.

I think you must see things on Orchid Island otherwise it wouldn’t be worth going…

thanks for the input guys, jsut got home. Man that is one COOL island! stormy and rainy/windy the first 2 days, but that made for not too hot hiking trips :slight_smile: Never made that summit, just hung around the lower island mountains photographing plants. Will post some pics later.

of the other islands i have been to in Taiwan, this one is certainly the greenest and more “tropical” like. Who said deforestation doesnt have long term effects?

I’m glad you enjoyed it - it’s a nice island.
You should try Spratly (Itu Aba) island next - that is extremely tropical.

isn’t that the Island where Taipower’s illegal nuclear waste depot recently leaked radiation?

Orchid Island?
I haven’t heard about a leak, but they definitely have a waste site on Orchid Island.

Edit: You’re right. 3 days ago - seems radiation may have leaked.

[quote=“Pingdong”]thanks for the input guys, jsut got home. Man that is one COOL island! stormy and rainy/windy the first 2 days, but that made for not too hot hiking trips :slight_smile: Never made that summit, just hung around the lower island mountains photographing plants. Will post some pics later.

of the other islands I have been to in Taiwan, this one is certainly the greenest and more “tropical” like. Who said deforestation doesnt have long term effects?[/quote]

That’s one reason you should head out to the Walami Trail. The subtropical forests there are among the most intact in SE Asia.

damn really? Right when we were there, though i haven’t noticed any fallen pubes on the bathroom floor yet. Any news article on the matter?

Thanks for the suggestion on the Walami Trail, its on my list for sure. You think 2 days is enough to do it? Hualien is the longest drive from our house, to Yuli takes about 7 hours from here if i remember right. faster if the wife isnt in the car.

The area looks fantastic though! Do you know if you need to book in advance for lodging? or is it best to just wing it and bring a tent just in case?

Now, back to worrying about radiation :astonished:

EDIT, got a few pics up

This island seems like a beautiful place to visit. Have you been there? I probably wouldn’t take my kids, but for myself, there isn’t much further danger of turning into Godzilla.

I’ve never been there, but in the pictures I’ve seen, it looks pretty.

It’s an incredibly beautiful place. Very few people, a lot of areas to explore, beaches to visit, local food to try etc etc.
Not as many turists as Green Island, which for me is a big plus.
Weather can be an issue because in summer it can be REALLY hot, and typhoons there can be pretty brutal.
Definitely worth a visit though, it’s easy to rent a motorbike and circle the island in no time. Next time I go there, I’ll bring my bicycle.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up about the hot weather. I would have expected a tiny island to get plenty of cool ocean winds. Plans have been adjusted accordingly.

As a followup… How is the indigenous culture sight-seeing? Is it hokey and exaggerated like some places are wont to do, or is it more organically incorporated into daily life?

In any case, I think my interested is piqued. Thanks :slight_smile:

I spent 3 days on Orchid Island last October and thought it was great. Not crowded, slow pace, beautiful natural coastal scenery, goats everywhere in the hills…

My buddy and I did a tour of an old style local underground home, which was conducted by an older resident (the home belongs to her family). It was an intimate and very interesting look at the old way of life there.

Definitely rent a scooter and ride all around the island. My friend and I rented some snorkel equipment and went to the spot the shop recommended, right by that Taiwan Power place. It was a beautiful spot to see the undersea life (no seven-eyed fish or anything) and there was only a couple of other people there…not a big group all strung together with their life jackets.

We were lucky enough to be there when a fishing boat race was being held in the north part of the island. However, we witnessed a terrible tragedy so we didn’t stay for much of the race. Anyway, I highly recommend Lanyu. Try the barbecued goat and flying fish :yum:

1 Like

Barry Martinson was there before mass tourism and nuclear waste – it really was a very different place in those days.

1 Like

[quote=“Steve4nLanguage, post:11, topic:160207”]
tour of an old style local underground home[/quote]

2 Likes

There are some really amazing diving spots there. I joined a group that brings people to an area full of corals and deep cracks in the rocks beneath the water. Some of the corals seems to be hanging on the edge of an abyss, and the clear water definitely helps to enjoy the view.

I’m planning to go back sometime this year. I loved it on Lanyu and I hope you can indulge me sharing a few photos…

5 Likes