Otto Warmbier

Yea, I know. However I was not the one who did that. It was Monkey Yuan comparing Tianjin with ‘all of Taiwan’. My post was to illustrate that exact point that you make.

No you were not. You were comparing Taiwan to Tianjin

Yes, good point. But in addition to what you say there I would also add that there is a larger population, and very large numbers of very rich people in Shanghai, which puts it in the top ten of economically important cities in the world. To say that Taipei is far richer than any mainland Chinese city as was put forward earlier really is just cods whollop. Taipei has a higher standard of living and higher average incomes but otherwise there is a lot more money in Shanghai. It doesn’t take a genius to figure that one out.

2 Likes

The ROC, including Kimen and aboriginal mountain villages - is richer than Tianjin, Beijing and Shanghai municipalities. That’s per capita. I feel the need to specify that explicitly, seeing in this thread you confuse per capita, with growth, and also (most confusingly) with growth rates.

I really should test peoples basic numeracy before I argue with them online. By the arguments presented here you could also say that New Delhi is a richer city than Taipei.

I never mentioned growth or growth rates. Read what I actually wrote.

I was drunk when I wrote that.

Much more than a few make good money in Shenzhen and Shanghai. An admin person with a couple of years experience will be making 20k rmb at Huawei. That’s a management salary in Taiwan.

I mean few in relations to their population. It’s no secret that there are way more business opportunities in China nowadays while Taiwan has basically flatlined.

60.000 nt is the average wage in taipei? seems a bit high. if thats the average why is everyone living in tiny shit boxes, non married younger people (well sometimes its not even young) living at home, and driving scooters not cars?

Because 60000 isn’t that much? How much do you think would be left after paying all the bills if there’s a family to raise? 60000 is pretty much the average household expenditure in Taiwan.

Besides, that’s the average for all ages and there are more old/middle aged ppl than young ones.

i’d still say its not bad for here and more than most people earn. you would at least be able to run a car and definitely wouldn’t need to live at home or in a shitty tiny apartment.

1 Like

Average means that more than half of the people make less than that, you seem to be thinking otherwise.

Besides Taiwan is crowded af so of course lots of people live in tiny boxes and ride motorcycles. Where do you expect people to park their cars?

Btw do you not go out? There are cars driving on the streets, a lot of them.

who doesn’t know what average means? i know what i means it just sounds too high, so i googled it and its actually around 40,000. maybe you are the one who doesn’t know the meaning of it.

taiwanese do not ride scooters because they are worried their cars are too big for the roads. they ride them because thats all they can afford. or did you somehow miss the whole familys squeezed on to one scooter? yea they are really worried about the size of the roads there with 5 people on one scooter. do you not go out or something?

a quick google search shows in 2013 there was 15.09 million motorbikes in taiwan. compared to 7.25 million cars. more than double the amount of scooters than cars. yea there are a lot. a lot more scooters.

those tiny sectioned off apartments that most young people live in are also the cheapest. if they were earning 60 000 i think they could choose something with a little more space than a windowless 1 room box.

The stats on household income and expenditure published by the ROC government are here: http://win.dgbas.gov.tw/fies/doc/result/104/a11/49.xls9

For Taipei the average household takes in 1.5 million NT and has three members. Works out at 120,000 per month or 40,000 per person per month. Bear in mind that includes dependents too and less than two people per household with an income. So actually you are correct in terms of average per person income. and Gain is correct in terms of average salary. Isnt that nice, group hug.

As for what fraction take in less than that. Well Taiwan has a medium level of inequality so the answer there is more than half make less than that. I don’t know how to figure out exactly what fraction but it would be a well over half.

1 Like

Maybe some of this can be split, seems like a good topic but completely off base to the original thread

2 Likes

I never said there are less motorcycles than cars, I said it is normal that there are more motorcycles because it is the more practical mode of transport for a lot of people, that includes the prices of a car. Also, lots of people don’t like taking public transport because it’s “too slow” for them.

And I said the average includes people of all ages. Young people don’t make that much, it’s not my problem if you can’t grasp simple logic

But whatever, it’s not like this is important.

To be fair, I’ve done that before with people not because they were poor. They had cars and a nice house. Just because it was short trip to far to walk but not enough to commit to driving and finding parking.

what you said is people drive scooters instead of cars by choice. which i don’t think is true, the (main) reason they drive scooters over cars is because they can’t afford it. 60,000 is enough to afford a car imo. and the huge ass people carriers they drive should be enough to show you they are not bothered about the practicality of driving cars in small lanes.

i didn’t say taiwan is piss poor nor do i think that mate.

Maybe a car could be affordable, but a parking spot is way beyond.

Scooters can get you across town faster than a car can, thanks to filtering at red lights and lane-splitting during traffic jams. You can find parking far more easily with a scooter than with a car. The purchasing, licensing, registration, insurance, etc. are a lot simpler and cheaper with a scooter than with a car. Most people aren’t poor here, but they are very money conscious.

I used to ride a motorcycle back before the MRT was built, but it’s unnecessary now because of the MRT.

Eh I think it’s the result of poor infrastructure and impatient mentality. The public transportation has improved significantly over the last decade or two in Taipei, but lots of people still feel that it’s too much effort to take it. My cousin lives just a few minutes away from the metro station, and her office is near another metro station, the train ride would be like 25 minutes top, yet she still rides a motorcycle every day because it’s more convenient. Same goes for a friend of mine, he can take the bus/metro as well but apparently it’s too slow. I can’t argue with them.

Outside of Taipei there’s just no other option other than bullshit motorcycles. I’m so done with them. In one of my daydreams, I did magic and turned all the motorcycles into bikes. That would make me hate Taiwan like 15% less.

2 Likes