Otto Warmbier

Hundreds, if not thousands, of Western tourists visit North Korea every year. And nothing happens to them. Why? Because they do not do things they wouldn’t do at home. Would you rip some posters off the wall in a hotel back in the US? Probably not. Why would you do it in a totalitarian regime?

I believe Warmbier tried to reenact this video, posted just 2 months before his trip to North Korea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7VwnijyVig

We’re actually debating whether he in fact committed the act of anti-state mopery. Can someone explain to me why that even matters?

1 Like

This was exactly the sort of person who would do this sort of thing at home.

A guy went to a communist country and got murdered as a result of completely trumped up charges. And all you can do is harp on about how he should take responsibility for his actions and how privileged he was. It’s pretty disgusting.

1 Like

There’s zero reliable evidence he even did that. I don’t know why so many people are buying NKs justification.

1 Like

What the monkey said. NK is full of it. They wanted a new political bargaining chip in order to get concessions from the US. They obviously can’t set up every Westerner who visits. Our boy Otto happened to be the unlucky chump who got the short straw. But I believe he stole that poster as much as I believe Kim Jong Un was born from a rainbow sprouting from a unicorn’s ass, or any of the other ridiculous propaganda lies that regime comes up with.

:ponder:
First of all, i would like to say that what happen to this guy is Horrible. RIP
the end

Now many things are pretty f…d up and i agree with almost everyone here except for a couple of things.

1. This guy is described in paper as : ‘‘an innocent kid tortured by north korea regime’’
    well…
    first of all, he is not innocent ( he has been proven guilty)
    second, he is not a kid (22 years old) ---- he is a grown man ( i mean by american standard … a 14 years old black kid is a grown man so i guess he was a grown man too)

2)when talking about North Korea, I always feel that people MEAN ALL north Korea.
what i see is an evil regime and a whole population who is HOSTAGE of that regime.
example: i come to your home, ask you to wear an uniform and do the monkey , and if you don’t do so, I WILL BLOW UP ALL YOUR FAMILY…
you know what!!! 100% sure you’ll wear that f…ing uniform and do whatever to save your family.

I always feel that people think that north korean are happy about their way of life or whatever ( there is a large black market over there, where they get latest news via news papers, book etc… even military is involved in this black market etc…)
but the regime is the regime, and better do what they want

1. back to otto warmbier actions…
    as said by many on this thread, what he has done is absolutely not acceptable ( for sure he deserve a fine, not prison, but laws differ from country to country ( in saudi, he would have had his hand chopped… pretty sure it would not even be in the news ----- in france they would have surely give him some chocolate to take with him :grin:)
    Actually we should just respect every country laws, tradition or whatever — just respect -
    we always try to impose our way of life, our way of seeing thing, like in there is always ONLY one WAY

4)always hard to write in any forum or on the net and STAY ---- POLITICALLY correct — just trying to do so ( hate it actually, but u need to) — ( my feelings and my choices)

1. again, what happen to this dude is horrible. RIP

It matters because we need to be completely clear - NK doesn’t have a draconian and ridiculous rule of law - it has none at all. That’s a big distinction - ie even if you follow all their ridiculous rules, they can legitimize your murder on a whim.

There is no reliable evidence he broke any laws.

I’m going to keep repeating this for each new person in this thread if I have to.

2 Likes

I’ll go one further. Even IF he had taken a poster, who gives a crap? “Not acceptable”??? It’s totally acceptable. It’s not like he got drunk and ran over a North Korean family on the streets of Pyongyang. It’s a damn mass produced propaganda poster in a crappy hotel conference room. But the really crazy thing is, he didn’t even do that! NK has not produced one shred of evidence except some grainy CCTV of a figure that could literally be anyone (1080 quality, it’s not). He was totally set up. Anyone who understands how North Korea operates can clearly see that Otto’s detainment on trumped up and probably fabricated charges was just another attempt at a bargaining chip for a desperate and isolated regime.

yes he did - can’t you trust what a court in a foreign country came up with?

If you’re joking/trolling, well played.

If not, a million facepalms.

1 Like

No, I do not trust what a North Korean court comes up with.

1 Like

that’s fine.
i don’t trust neither, but i have only one choice… accept their decision

Why is that your only choice??? That’s such a weird, passive thing to say. You’d do great in George Orwell’s 1984. Do some research about the North Korean regime and its history of fabrications and propaganda, and use your better judgement.

Ok Drew, i probably didnt express myself correctly-
i think i understand pretty well how their regime work.

What i mean by ‘‘MY ONLY CHOICE’’… is that what is happening is a fact, and no one will be able to change it ( not me, not you) -

iam pretty sure, anyone coming from a country in this forum, and pretty sure any country legal system is f…ed up.

seeing all this pseudo web hero saying this kind of stuff while they dont even have a look at their own s…t.
every one is criticising the regime ( and they are right… but come on guys… what about your own countries???)
or even seeing the same guys not saying so much of event happening in their countries because of x, y or z reasons ( = excuses)

Of course, the regime is horrible and first to suffer from is not this dude but the WHOLE HOSTAGE population living there. but again, this dude is making the headlines, and people living there??? who cares? is it?? they are all brain washed ( meaning, they dont deserve better???)

what happen to this dude is happening to that whole population in a weekly, monthly basis and no one is moving a finger or typing a word on the net.
But hey, otto may have done something right — maybe we can all blow them up over there ( apparently, it is one of the richest country in the area = minerals wise)

ps:judgment is way more polite than brain :bowing:

and absolutely nothing against you, just some people over-reacting, while grown black african dude get shot regularly ( and by grown men … i mean 14 years old)
:bowing:

Lols I can use your same defense, I don’t believe whatever court or CCTV footage country you believe in. Lols…

Lols.

It’s not defending the Kim regime. I said before what happened to him is not fair. But the guy went to a brutle and ridiculous totalitarian country that grows up hating you. Other prisoners like kennith bae, I feel for. Prisoners that went there for a purpose. This guy went there for a vacation. If he went to Brazil and went to the favelas in the middle of the night and got robbed. Like yeah, it sucks. But it’s like what do you think would happen.

1 Like

I can lol too . Lols