Otto Warmbier

To me, such labelling of certain US parties as nasty sex tourists reiterates a tendency amongst many Latin American people to criticize the bad Yankee, while ignoring exactly the same behaviour amongst the locals. I think sex offenders should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law regardless of nationality, but would argue that oligarchs or political elites in the Latin countries behave far, far, far worse than the US tourist. Hence, my reference to Ortega.

We have been throuigh this before. One mroe time for teh newbies:

Oh we do criticize our own. I could fill pages on that. Sex predators are usually dealt in prisioon by their mates. It takes one to be president to escape the common people law. Yes, we should protect our children more, but poverty and ingrained society/cultural curses are hard to fix. We are still working on that.

It is just that when someone comes to your land, kills with impunity -I told you about my classmate killed by a gringo high on a bad batch, or the many gun accidents- or abuses kids again with impunity, while boasting of being morally superiorā€¦ and has the government to intervene in their behalf, their government, it pisses everyone off. That is a given.

So if someone goes and pisses in the North Koreans eye, well, they use the guyā€™s pecker as propaganda instrument and trading commodity. And many abroad will cheer, because they have wounds open that cannot heal.

Even oligarchs and political elites in LA know when to run.

Iā€™m in the same boat as Andrew, never gotten sick here. Pretty sure if you eat 300NT+ per meal you will not get food poisoning.

Thatā€™s a common misconception. The sanitary practices at mid-price places are usually no better than at the slop shops, and often worse. Iā€™ve never gotten sick eating at a slop shop, but have several times eating at mid-price places.

2 Likes

The key is, are there people eating there? If itā€™s a busy place, the food is usually fresh and good. If you go to a place thatā€™s not all that busy, most likely some food have been sitting for a while and not thrown away and used to save up on costs.

I donā€™t think so. 300NT per meal allows me to go to some places where I can see their clean and open kitchen.(DinTaiFung is one example but I know of other places where I can see into their open kitchen)

Maybe, but not necessarily if the place is new and has spent some money on an advertising blitz. If itā€™s been open a long time and gets lots of repeat business, thatā€™s another story. Itā€™s the places that are crowded when they open but donā€™t last very long that are scary.

Respect the laws of the country youā€™re a guest in. Does that mean no suicide bombings or gang killings? And isnā€™t illegal immigration, like, against the law? Just want some clarification.

An open kitchen is obviously a good sign, but not all 300NT-per-meal places are created equal. Like I said, the only places Iā€™ve gotten sick at were mid-price restaurants.

Damn Chris slow down :stuck_out_tongue:

True I believe you. I think the moral of the story is to try to go to open kitchens?

Raw mung beans, 1 cup (207 g) = Calories 718

Who knew mung beans were bulking food lol.

The argument from people with Taiwan being developed as a whole I guess. Taipei is very much developed but other parts of Taiwan couldnā€™t be considered developed.

But couldnā€™t you say this about every country? How much of a country must be considered developed for a country to be considered developed?

Other factors too such as economy, housing, unemployment etc

I personally think Taiwan is developed because I come from a 3rd world country as see a massive difference.

One place Iā€™ve thinking of is usually busy and been there a while, Iā€™ve eaten there many times. One time I (and the person I was with) got food poisoning there. I think it was the beef in the hot pot. So Iā€™m not sure it they got a bad batch of beef from their supplier, left it out overnight, then put it back in the freezer, or what.

I think the problem is, Taiwan is ugly. The infrastructure is ugly, compared to other countries that are just as if not less developed. Thereā€™s too much typhoons and earthquakes here that sometimes, things just need to be able to withstand those things vs look good. For example, I love Russian architecture, I asked a russian girl I was dating before and she said those buildings are basically not made well for humans to live in on the inside no matter how cool I may think they look on the outside. Or my time in places like Spain, UK, which also doesnā€™t have to consider much natural disasters, also look nice, but very old and has trouble modernizing to the needs of the 21th century. Even Italy, I though was going to be so niceā€¦I was told not to expect air conditioning in most places, old crappy roads, houses that would fall apart if an earth quake hits and not even 4G and super slow internet. Actually, a lot of europe doesnt have 4G and has slow internet. But all looks nice.

Seems like hot pot is the common theme for people getting sick? I hate hot pots, unless you go to a nice one, a lot of the stuff is frozen for god knows how long and not very fresh.

I totally never got the hot pot thing. Boiled meat and vegetables? Might as well eat British foodā€¦

2 Likes

Me either, and me paying to cook my own food? I can buy way better stuff and cook myself at home.

1 Like