Overseas chinese ROC passport! Can Singaporeans apply?

It’s something to hang on the wall.[/quote]

Satellite TV,

I must say that I shall look forward to the day when you post your photocopy of your very own “Overseas Chinese Identity Certificate granted on the basis of Chinese ethnicity” !

It’s something to hang on the wall.[/quote]

Satellite TV,

I must say that I shall look forward to the day when you post your photocopy of your very own “Overseas Chinese Identity Certificate granted on the basis of Chinese ethnicity” ![/quote]
Look, now you’re just encouraging him!

I’m a BBB … Belgium Born Belgian … :discodance: sanbee … 3B …

Does that mean you will have a new dish called san-B-Chee ( 3B chicken) at your place??

Tons of people get useless certificates in this world. An A+ certificate, for instance. Everyone knows it’s useless yet hundreds of thousands of people study to take the exam for no reason.

Could I say that this debate is more about Taiwan as an “immigrant land” as oppose to “motherland” of Taiwanese people (e.g. Holland for Dutch descendant, Israel for Jewish people, etc.). As an American of Taiwanese decent, I am first an American but of Taiwanese heritage…. Much like what Northcoast surfer had indicated.

We see Taiwan as motherland of Taiwanese people (i.e. Min-na speaking people, hakka folks, and the Taiwanese native). I had spent a small part of my childhood in Singapore and I see that Singapore is much like the U.S. in Asia - an immigrant land - largely of descendants from the Orient and S.E. Asian people. Their blood linage is pretty much mixed over the years and many have little to no recollection of their heritage and homeland – much like the U.S. for many early Europeans. Well… maybe more like …Puerto Rico where most Puerto Rican have Spanish blood and most Singaporean have Chinese blood linage… which in all practical purposes would see China as the Motherland.

You guys can fight over the term “Chinese/China”, ROC, and/or Taiwanese but the folks living in Taiwan now will know exactly what I’m talking about (may not like what I’m saying but facts speak itself). I don’t want to pick bones with anyone here but when you set foot in Taiwan outside of Taipei, you will know what MOTHERLAND means.

Yes, we call ourselves American. If we have to… we’re known as ABT (American born Taiwanese – NOT ABC). On our U.S. Censor, we clearly indicate “Taiwanese” as the ethnic group.

Who said it is based on Chinese Ethnicity?

Hi wonder did you manage to get the ROC passport

I think Taiwanese govt has narrowed the definition of “overseas chinese” (侨胞) as descendants of ROC citizens after 1949.

ethic overseas chinese who acquired foreign citizenships are not deemed as ROC 侨胞 thus not qualified for ROC passport.

historically the KMT govt uses ROC citizenship to woo overseas chinese to support the ROC govt because they were competing against the PRC govt as the sole legitimate “China”.

If one has ROC-issued original documents such as an old passport or household registration booklet proving their ancestor’s ROC nationality and they can establish patrilineal descent through birth certificates, they can get the ROC passport.

1 Like

not if your ancestors has acquired new citizenship of a foreign nation after 1949.

give you a scenario whereby if your grandparents were ROC citizens in Mainland China prior to 1949 but later move on to USA and acquired US citizenship. in this case you cannot use that reason to apply for ROC citizenship now.

on another hand if they move to Taiwan after 1949 but later migrated to USA, you are deemed a “Qiao Bao” thus eligible for ROC citizenship.