Own weapons in Taiwan or composite bow

Seems that I lost one of our dogs (probably was killed by mountain pig as a I heard a dog crying from pain in the distance) at our mountain farm.
We have a fair number of wild mountain pigs living on surrounding hills.
So the question is:
Does own a shotgun only allowed by Taiwanese citizens or Aboriginals? Not an APRC hollders?
Is there are any restrictions on owning cross bow or composite bow or air gun/rifle?

Sorry for your loss. That really sucks.

I know one’s first thought when this kind of thing happens is to stake out the place and take revenge, but practically speaking it’s not going to work. You can’t sit there 24-7 with a crossbow waiting for pigs to show up. I doubt it was a wild pig anyway. More likely to have been the two-legged kind.

Might be better to invest in PIR sensors with bright lights, and some cameras. Punji sticks and barbed wire can work well too, if strategically placed.

Anyway, to answer the question, guns and projectile weapons are controlled very very tightly here, and it’s unlikely you’d be granted a license. AFAIK bows of all kinds are illegal unless you are from a recognized native-Taiwanese tribe.

It’s more likely that your dog got trapped in one of those leg-hold traps used by hunters over here. If the topography isn’t too rugged and somewhat accessible try to locate this poor guy! By the way try to not let your dogs roam around without your supervision.

I have 4 dogs, 3 comeback after I yell (after I heard dog cry) within 2 minutes.
I went immediately to that direction with 3 dogs and spent couple of hours to look up, no use. My other dogs weren’t helpful either.
Went again at late evening. Than spent whole next day with my wife and other dogs looking for unfortunate fella. Look through any visible animal and human trail, no sign.
Of course he might just got scary and run away.
But we talk to locals who use hunter dogs to catch the pigs above our property and they say they don’t use any traps as it may hurt their own dogs. So I don’t think poor doggy got trapped. Either already dead (its happen before yesterday) or run far away

No, its not for revenge.
Knowing the personality of Babai (dog name) he is relatively strong and big fella for taiwanese street dog, but he also like a big boy (1.5 years old) he never attack anybody, not barking often and very playful. I don/t believe he would attack wild pig, he may be just out of curiosity stick his nose in the bushes where pig was sitting (maybe with babies) so pig attack him (wild pig are crazy animals, I had an encounter with them) to protect it-self/ But Babaika not seeing wild life too often as they live in pen at our restaurant just didn’t fight back.
Pigs coming time to time to our mountain farm and digging ground in search of eatable roots like excavators.
So bow will be more for the future protection of us and our animals when we start staying at the farm overnight.

From my experience of living in Hualien amongst aborigines for the past 8 years I can tell there are always in each village a couple of dudes who are in the die-hard old habit of setting jaw traps in the forest without any consideration for the safety of other folk’s dogs…and all hunters will set wire foot snare which is probably in this rugged terrain a much more reliable and easy way to catch a beast than stalking. Still-hunting is also practised…Anyway a trapped dog usually will howl for help, at least my dog will…maybe your dog inadvertently walked between a sow and her litter…I hope he managed to escape and will come back…let us know if there are any further development…

I found poor boy today when I went up again to check at our farm.
He alive, but exhausted. He got into wire snare and somehow manage to pull out.
4 days passed. Wife took him to a veterinarian, his rear paw got swollen a lot. But I think he will not loose his paw.
Thank you for support.

Absolutely awesome result, feropont. Sounds like he’s going to make it.

As Franck also mentioned, two-legged predators are usually far worse than the furry kind. Bastards.

Could have been a lot worse. A lot of vets have a collection of animals in the back room who have lost limbs to those cowardly, lazy snares. Want to eat an animal? Not a problem, but at least have the decency to go out and hunt one or raise one, instead of sitting on your ass waiting for it to die slowly in a snare.

1 Like