Ownership transfer question

I’ve found a motorcycle that I’d like to purchase, however, the seller (western) says I will need to give him my ARC and health insurance card to transfer the vehicle into my name. This feels strange to me but I don’t know enough to say whether it’s wrong or not and google is no help. Can anyone help shed some light on this for me? It would be much appreciated. Thx.

Description of vehicle (motorcycle) transfer registration

Required documents

Two copies of the vehicle (motorcycle) transfer registration application.
Original of the New License Plate Registration Form (vehicle only).
Original of the vehicle license.
New owner’s and old owner’s identification documents:
Original ID card, military ID card, or alien residence certificate of both the new and old owner.
Official document for approval of company registration (including company registration form) issued by a competent authority or a certificate of company registration issued by a competent authority and unified business number issued by the taxation authority. In case of copied proof documents, a copy of the latest receipt of business tax payment shall be submitted as well.
If the applicant is not the owner of the vehicle, said applicant shall submit the new owner’s and old owner’s driver’s license, health insurance IC card, or passport in addition to the proof documents mentioned in Paragraph 1, as well as the applicant’s ID card. The owner’s valid driver’s license, health insurance IC card, or passport may be replaced by a proof document notarized by a court or private notary.
New owner’s and old owner’s seals (with signatures).
If the new owner is insured, the applicant shall submit the insurance policy for compulsory automobile liability insurance with an expiration date that is at least 30 days.
Outstanding vehicle license tax, fuel tax, and fines should be paid first.

Much appreciated. Seemed sketchy but I guess that’s how it’s done. He offered to let me hold onto his ARC but I didn’t see how that would work, but if he isn’t the registered owner (which he isn’t) then it makes perfect sense. Thank you very much.

Meet him at the motor vehicle place for the transfer if you don’t want him to do that for you. That would kind of be good anyway to see if there are any outstanding tickets, fees, etc.

1 Like

I intend to do just that. Thank you for your advice.