Parenting Resources

[quote=“nickythechicki”]Hey All,
So jumping back up the page a little to the mention of Suzuki method to teach music… does anyone know of Suzuki violin or piano teachers in the Tianmu/Beitou/Shilin area please?
Thanks
N[/quote]

Hi Nicky,

Someone posted a while back at Parent Pages about the Suzuki method in Tianmu with the following info:

The Suzuki ZhongCheng room: 2876-8417
Main office: 2833 2021
http://www.suzukimethod.org.tw/

Here’s a book I’ve been reading that’s been useful in many aspects. ‘Have a new kid by Friday’ by Dr. Kevin Leman. :bravo:

Check it out at,
haveanewkidbyfriday.com/Book … nting.aspx

www.kellymom.com for breastfeeding and parenting support.

If you are in San Francisco CA proper, Golden Gate Mothers Group (www.GGMG.org) is a great resource for parents of children up to age 5. Membership is $75/year and includes discounts on local businesses and events for families. Also, Berkeley Parents Network (BPN) is a listserv for families in the SF Bay Area, there is no age limit.

An excellent British website supporting the national curriculum there is BBC Bitesize. Very good for people who want to maintain their children’s English literacy at home. It covers all school ages.

The one book I’ll recomend is “The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips, and Advice for Dads-to-Be”. I was skeptical but it was helpful…and targetted to fathers. It shared actual situtations and thoughts that actually related to me.

I can’t recommend these, as I haven’t got them yet, but they looked interesting and definitely something different:

Parenting Beyond Belief - On Raising Ethical, Caring Kids Without Religion

…and…

Maybe Yes, Maybe No: A Guide for Young Skeptics

The latter is actually for kids, not parents, but seems it could be a valuable resource as well.

Got Parenting Beyond Belief. It is a book of essays, and so of course some I find more insightful and some less so. However, one thing it definitely does is provide a hell of a lot of other resources, which I’ll share here:

On Ethics/Values

Humphrey, Sandra Mcleod.
If you had to choose, what would you do?

Barker, Dan.
Maybe Right, Maybe Wrong: A Guide for Young Thinkers

Berry, Joy.
A Children’s Book About Lying

Mather, Anne and Weldon, Louise.
Character Building, Day by Day: 180 Quick Read-Alouds for Elementary School and Home

Medhus, Elisa.
Raising Children Who Think for Themselves

Medhus, Elisa.
Raising Everyday Heroes: Parenting Children to be Self-Reliant

Wykoff, Jerry.
20 Teachable Virtues

Espeland, Pamela.
Knowing and Doing What’s Right: The Positive Value Assets

On Grieving and Death

Emswiler, James and Mary-Ann
Guiding Your Child Through Grief

Thomas, Pat.
I Miss You – A First Look at Death

Rothman, Juliet Cassuto.
A Birthday Present for Daniel: A Child’s Story of Loss

Dougy Center
Thirty-five Ways to Help a Grieving Child

Arent, Ruth P.
Helping Children Grieve

On religion

Hamilton, Virginia.
In the Beginning: Creation Stories from Around the World

Bennett, Helen.
Humanism – What’s that? A book for curious kids.

Barker, Dan
Just Pretend: A Freethought Book for Children

FEEDING
The following are feeding books I wish I had read at the very beginning. They are essentially about how learning to eat is a developmental process and not just a physical thing that has to be done. The more autonomy you give your child in the feeding process, the more feeding competency they should develop without creating unhealthy emotions towards eating that can lead to feeding disorders.

Child of Mine, by Ellyn Satter (facebook.com/ellynsatterassociates)
Baby-Led Weaning, by Gill Rapley and Tracey Murkett (available via web on Amazon Kindle cloud reader)

If your child has already developed an issue, you will probably want to read this one:
When Your Child Won’t Eat Or Eats Too Much: A Parents’ Guide for the Prevention and Treatment of Feeding Problems in Young Children, Dr. Irene Chatoor (available via web on Google Play)

CONSTIPATION, SOILING, WETTING, ACCIDENTS
Constipation is a major psychological vicious cycle once it develops. I would advise being very aggressive in dealing with constipation at the first whiff of it. A single instance of constipation can cause a child to start withholding, and therefore creates a vicious cycle of further constipation and further withholding, that is very difficult to break.

It’s No Accident is a good primer on the dangers of constipation and its relationship to soiling, wetting, and also a good intro to bathroom issues in schools and issues to think about in potty training. Once you see what kids with constipation have to deal with, you won’t want to let your kids get it. There are kids that are on Miralax or other treatment protocols for 10+ years, unable to resolve their constipation issues.
(available via web on Amazon Kindle cloud reader)

Tip: adding large amounts of organic prune juice (pure prune juice, not a juice blend) to your baby’s milk is a good way to keep their stool soft. Err on the side of caution!

A good book specifically for parents raising kids abroad/3rd culture kids.
“Raising Global Nomads” by Robin Pascoe
Probable available at Page One bookstore below Taipei 101.

I enjoy these resources, all in English though!
facebook.com/janetlansburyE … re?fref=ts

No: Why Kids–of All Ages–Need to Hear It and Ways Parents Can Say It by David Walsh
Link: amzn.com/B000N0WTDI

Montessori from the Start: The Child at Home, from Birth to Age Three by Paula Polk Lillard
Link: amzn.com/B001ON78S4

These are my personal 3 favorite resources for new parents.

For older:
Children Who Are Not Yet Peaceful by Donna Bryant Goertz

^^^^^ Ah…another Montessori fan. Good book choices. :slight_smile:

Very helpful links, thanks! I’m also kind of Montessori fan, but my son is too small now, hope we’ll be able to visit some of Montessori schools in future.

[quote=“innocuousfleabug”]I enjoy these resources, all in English though!

No: Why Kids–of All Ages–Need to Hear It and Ways Parents Can Say It by David Walsh

Montessori from the Start: The Child at Home, from Birth to Age Three by Paula Polk Lillard

For older:
Children Who Are Not Yet Peaceful by Donna Bryant Goertz[/quote]

That Montessori book looks a bit dated. This one also popped up: amazon.com/The-Joyful-Child- … XIERXAB23M

Anyone have any experience with either of those? I like the idea of Montessori and plan on doing more research.

[quote=“rocky raccoon”][quote=“innocuousfleabug”]I enjoy these resources, all in English though!

For older:
Children Who Are Not Yet Peaceful by Donna Bryant Goertz[/quote]

That Montessori book looks a bit dated. This one also popped up: amazon.com/The-Joyful-Child- … XIERXAB23M

Anyone have any experience with either of those? I like the idea of Montessori and plan on doing more research.[/quote]

I have not read the second book you posted. Montessori From The Start was not terrible, but I do not remember loving it. I only read it once.

This is one I love recommending to parents:

http://amzn.to/1PKpJYL

It has enough of the philosophy to get you started, but a lot of practical ideas. Clear color photographs of the activities. Really a solid book for parents of young children.

Great, thanks Puppet. I’ll check out that one. Most of the reviews of Lillard’s books seem OK, but some of the negative ones mentioned that there aren’t a lot of practical ideas. Along with helpful photos, that should help me get started as I try to learn more.

I went to the hardware store last night to see if I could make some toys DIY style. Not much success in that department. There are some interesting Montessori threads on Pinterest as well. Maybe buying toys already designed is a better way to go. Not looking to stock up, just a couple of quality ones would be good. Doesn’t seem like much is available in Taiwan though.

[quote=“rocky raccoon”]Great, thanks Puppet. I’ll check out that one. Most of the reviews of Lillard’s books seem OK, but some of the negative ones mentioned that there aren’t a lot of practical ideas. Along with helpful photos, that should help me get started as I try to learn more.

I went to the hardware store last night to see if I could make some toys DIY style. Not much success in that department. There are some interesting Montessori threads on Pinterest as well. Maybe buying toys already designed is a better way to go. Not looking to stock up, just a couple of quality ones would be good. Doesn’t seem like much is available in Taiwan though.[/quote]
g1.easycounting.cc/f_js_tainan/estore/

I typed a longer response, but Forumosa has not been working well for me today. I will retype it tomorrow. For now, check out that website.

Thanks Puppet. I’m planning on buying the paperback version and having it shipped to me when I’m in the States in January.

I read on a Montessori blog that they recommend showing pictures to newborns and infants. This seems to be a different approach compared to the illustrated children’s books that are usually found in stores. I wanted to give it a shot and was planning to buy a coffee table photography book since those tend to have a wide variety of realistic images. Not sure it’s really a big deal showing an infant kiddie books (not like he’s going to go blind looking at illustrations)…was just curious to know more about this line of thinking?

[quote=“rocky raccoon”]Thanks Puppet. I’m planning on buying the paperback version and having it shipped to me when I’m in the States in January.

I read on a Montessori blog that they recommend showing pictures to newborns and infants. This seems to be a different approach compared to the illustrated children’s books that are usually found in stores. I wanted to give it a shot and was planning to buy a coffee table photography book since those tend to have a wide variety of realistic images. Not sure it’s really a big deal showing an infant kiddie books (not like he’s going to go blind looking at illustrations)…was just curious to know more about this line of thinking?[/quote]

Sorry it has taken a while to get back with you. Are you back in the states now? Visiting or living there? Either way, hope it is a great trip.

Illustrations are still symbolic representations of something. Even if it is a fantastic drawing, it is not going to be as exact as an actual picture. (Almost always, at least). The illustration might be too abstract for the child to understand, but might understand a photograph of an elephant, then make the connection to it at the zoo.

That said, I personally think it is such a minor point. Do I think it can be helpful to have books that have photographic pictures? Yes. Do I think it is necessary that every book be a book of photographs? No. In fact, it might lead to Nickelback playing in their head, which is disastrous. I now have someone belting, “Look at this photograph. Every time I do it makes me laugh…” running through my head.

The order of what is better to help the child see what is being discussed:
–The real thing. (But few of us can have a real elephant in our house)
–A realistic 3-d object that looks like the real thing (even if it is miniature).
–A flat object that looks like the real thing.
–A photograph of the thing.
–An illustration of the thing.

From experience with toddlers (I do not have a lot of experience with infants in a day care setting), they really do often respond more to colorful photographs over illustrations in books. I wonder, though, if that is because there are fewer books with photographs, so it is something unique.

My vote after this long rant: use a mix of both.

http://www.babynology.com/parenting-advice/
I follow this site regularly. This is the fantastic website which will take you to the brilliant parenting tips and advice. It bears educative and informative articles about pregnancy and infant care. Apart from this there are quizzes which are actually very instructive and photo contest. I like this website as it provides me a collective information about parenting at one place.