Parents send their Chicken Pox-infected child to school

belgian pie: that’d be mumps, not chicken pox, as far as i recall.

still should not send your kids to school with communicable diseases, no matter what they are. i’m just saying that if the kids get chicken pox at school or anywhere else it’s not so bad. unless they have some other disease at the time…

i have heard of schools where several kids in one class got chlamydia. but that was a high school.

I heard a public information commercial the other talling parents not to send their kids to school if they have fevers. Sounds like common sense right but at least they’re finally trying to educate people, maybe the need more like “don’t like your kid stick heads out sunroof” or “If you enjoy beautiful beaches pick up you trash”.

Anyways, back on chickenpox heard of Pox Parties?;

mothering.com/articles/growi … party.html

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,170846,00.html

I am having trouble believing that this is more than a common sense matter. I think what is more likely is that the parents do in fact know better but just don’t care because it is more convent for them to drop the kid off at school and infect everybody else than deal with it themselves or arrange alternate care.
Sadly, I think this is another manifestation of the me first selfish attitude that reigns supreme.

[quote=“shifty”]I am having trouble believing that this is more than a common sense matter. I think what is more likely is that the parents do in fact know better but just don’t care because it is more convent for them to drop the kid off at school and infect everybody else than deal with it themselves or arrange alternate care.
Sadly, I think this is another manifestation of the me first selfish attitude that reigns supreme.[/quote]

I agree that this can be construed as selfish. But remember that some of these parents view school/buxibans as a form of babysitting. :s

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“shifty”]I am having trouble believing that this is more than a common sense matter. I think what is more likely is that the parents do in fact know better but just don’t care because it is more convent for them to drop the kid off at school and infect everybody else than deal with it themselves or arrange alternate care.
Sadly, I think this is another manifestation of the me first selfish attitude that reigns supreme.[/quote]

I agree that this can be construed as selfish. But remember that some of these parents view school/buxibans as a form of babysitting. :s[/quote]

Kids are just a pain in the arse anyway. They’re only produced to satisfy the grandparents’ need to continue the family line, and part of the bargain is that they must look after them whilst the parents are out working for BMW Lease Financing and Chinatrust Card Services. I mean it’s not like you’re going to take a day off work to look after a sick kid. Can you imagine a Taiwanese boss allowing that?!!! So just leave them in the class and if they die it’s the school’s fault. There’s always the Ignorance Defence to fall back on if the other parents complain.

[quote=“Lord Lucan”]
Kids are just a pain in the arse anyway. They’re only produced to satisfy the grandparents’ need to continue the family line, and part of the bargain is that they must look after them whilst the parents are out working for BMW Lease Financing and Chinatrust Card Services. I mean it’s not like you’re going to take a day off work to look after a sick kid. Can you imagine a Taiwanese boss allowing that?!!! So just leave them in the class and if they die it’s the school’s fault. There’s always the Ignorance Defence to fall back on if the other parents complain.[/quote]

Fully!

[quote=“Doctor Evil”]

[/quote]

There have been many Daily Photo threads on here, with hundreds of photo’s, and that is, without a doubt, the best portrait photo I’ve seen on Forumosa. Wow.

I have to agree. Way ot, but that is a great portrait. Great lighting.

No chickenpox vaccine in the UK (risk from vaccine > risk from chickenpox itself). It is better to get it as a child (usually doesn’t then recur in adulthood, when as stated it can be very nasty).

I took our older boy to a chickenpox party. Just an ordinary birthday party, birthday girl went down with c/pox, her parents phoned round and told everyone. Most of the kiddies’ parents decided to go to the party anyway (one didn’t, cos he himself hadn’t had the disease).

I think in Britain this is pretty standard.

Still wouldn’t send the kid to school though, wtf!!

I have to agree. Way ot, but that is a great portrait. Great lighting.[/quote]
Never fails to amaze me how one so frighteningly ugly can be party to producing one so pretty. Thank god for the mother’s dominant genes!

Oh dear. Gone and gots me a case of this here dreaded pox. Can’t believe how quickly the blisters form. And where they form is quite churlish of them… IFyaknowhuddimean.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I find this absolutely amazing. Sending a child with a highly contagious disease to school is against the laws in all countries I know of.
Is this legal on Taiwan?[/quote]

It is not. There are health regulations which specify how to deal with certain contagious diseases in schools. Depending on the disease, the child must stay home from school up to a week, and if more than one child comes down with the same disease then the whole class will have to stay home up to a week. If it spreads to multiple classes, the whole school can be temporarily shutdown.

That said, I’m not sure Chicken Pox is one of the covered diseases.

Today at my school, I saw a kid spew all over the floor. I felt bad for him, but when I talked to the assistants, they told me that he’d been doing it ALL DAY before I came in. Over and over, just spewing everywhere. Did his parents take him home? NO! He had to finish his morning classes!

Jeeeeeebus people! Where is the line?

Just a little update on the situation.If you have small children goping to local schools or teach elementary up, I would recommend get a vaccine. There are vaccines for shingles now too if you are around 60.

Number of chickenpox patients hits new weekly high for year: CDC

Taipei, Nov. 21 (CNA) The number of patients seeking medical treatment for chickenpox at outpatient clinics across Taiwan increased to 833 last week, the highest weekly prevalence of the contagious disease this year, according to Centers for Disease Control (CDC) data released Tuesday.

The figure marked the third consecutive weekly rise and was greater than the same period last year, epidemic monitoring data shows, indicating most of those confirmed as having contracted chickenpox were children and teenagers aged under 19.

The CDC data also noted that 52 clusters of chickenpox infection have been reported in Taiwan this year, lower than the same period last year.

Over the past four weeks, nine infection clusters have been recorded nationwide. _Eight of the cases happened at schools, with four at senior high schools, the data shows. _

1 Like

I had it as a kid! Fun times! Rubella too.

Even funnier when it comes back as shingles.

My mom couldn’t take time off work, so I was often sent to school sick. That did not made me very popular. But for chickenpox I stayed a week at home, in bed, by myself, reading Jules Verne. Even she knew that was better than having a chickenpox party at school.

Problem is you never know if you will have complications until you do have em.

Of rubella I have very few memories, it was rather uneventful. Chicken pox was more annoying, and the most entertaining part was my brother who didn’t have it as a kid and had to avoid me at all costs. For a few weeks I had a great weapon to avoid any sort of jokes from him!

Is chickenpox contagious only after the symptoms appear?
Or it may happen that someone is transmitting it within the first days of infection?

Contagious before symptoms appear and remains so until all the blisters have burst and scabbed over. New blisters can form while some scab, takes a while for them to all scab over. But yeah, it is highly contagious.

A lot of doctors here misdiagnose chicken pox for enterovirus and mistake enterovirus for chicken pox.

1 Like

You don’t send your child to school for a day, he/she’ll find behind in competitive race for being “top best number one the best”, and will eventually end up as a cashier at McDonalds only to be replaced by robots after 3 years of work experience and dumped on the street without job and money!

DO YOU WANT THIS DESTINY FOR YOUR CHILD?

This is why you send your child to school every day even if he’s sick until he can’t move, and even in this case you just place your child on your Tiger Mom scooter and still bring him to school, and also bixuban after school.

And to block Chicken Pox you can just use face mask.

2 Likes