Paying for a Real Health Check

I need to get a real, comprehensive health check some time soon, and have been looking around for the best place to do it.

The Health Management Center at NTU Hospital looks quite good: ntuh.mc.ntu.edu.tw/HealthCenter/ … pec_02.asp
Their basic check-up, including sedated endoscopy, costs around NT$20,000, which strikes me as quite reasonable.

I’m wondering if any of you have gone there for a health check or know anyone who’s done so, and if so, what’s the verdict?

Or is there another hospital that anyone would specially recommend for this?

They are rather spare on the details, but it looks very good.

HG

Hope this is just for insurance purposes or some such pedestrian concern and in no way reflects on the state of your health oh loquacious one.

MM, I’m quietly confident that this is just one of those things one needs do as one approaches a certain stage in one’s life.

But just to add, you know, I’ve heard some people would be happy to pay way more than NT$20,000 to be drugged and rogered with a hose pipe.

And furthermore, assuming these tests are what they appear to be on the surface, then you would pay at least twice that amount in HK. My company offered a similar battery of free heath tests last year after the chairman passed away due to bowel cancer. Around 100 people were tested and a number of nasties were caught early. I was also drugged and riogered, and fortunately, despite some family history, got the all clear. It was a small but strangely signifciant measure of relief knowing that.

These are very sensible things to undertake.

HG

No, just a precautionary check to see if there’s anything amiss or that needs to be watched.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]MM, I’m quietly confident that this is just one of those things one needs do as one approaches a certain stage in one’s life.

But just to add, you know, I’ve heard some people would be happy to pay way more than NT$20,000 to be drugged and rogered with a hose pipe.

And furthermore, assuming these tests are what they appear to be on the surface, then you would pay at least twice that amount in HK. My company offered a similar battery of free heath tests last year after the chairman passed away due to bowel cancer. Around 100 people were tested and a number of nasties were caught early. I was also drugged and riogered, and fortunately, despite some family history, got the all clear. It was a small but strangely signifciant measure of relief knowing that.

HG[/quote]

My sentiments exactly, HG.

The years are adding up, and I’ve been meaning to do this since I hit forty.

What’s more, if the rogering is done expertly enough by a pretty young nurse, it could be well worth the attendant discomfort, and I might consider making it a regular yearly treat.

I believe the very best offerings for the packaged medical checks are in Thailand, where they simply pamper you at every possible juncture, including cocktails in the evening. I can imagine they may even have the common courtesy to offer a reach around somewhere in the hose process.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I believe the very best offerings for the packaged medical checks are in Thailand, where they simply pamper you at every possible juncture, including cocktails in the evening. I can imagine they may even have the common courtesy to offer a reach around somewhere in the hose process.

HG[/quote]

I know! I translated an article about the government’s plans to promote medical tourism in Taiwan, and it went on at length about Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok. It sounded so good that I thought about booking myself a check-up holiday over there, but in the end decided it’d be a bit too hard to sell it to the wife, so will just have to settle for something nearer to home.

A friend told me about this package they offer at a hospital near Zhongshiao Tunhua. For 30 thousand NTs, you stay 3 days and nights, and they check everything there is to check. Tempting.

I also know that Shinkong Hospital has a package set where you stay one whole day, price was 20 something thousand.

EDIT:
Tzu Chi offers bloodwork, X rays, full anesthesia for the camera-down-your throat tests, electrocardiogram, hearing test, etc. takes two days. 16.900 for the package.
http://www.tzuchi.com.tw/file/SerType/ser3-1.htm

So, I finally got in for the test they do at Tzu Chi, one day long kind.

About two weeks earlier, a few days after making the appointment, I got this stack of forms and instructions, plus bottles for the “samples” and such.

Among the goodies: two bottles of awful tasting “colon cleanser”.

Had to fill out the forms with help from a friend. When she could not understand what was the question, we went to the hospital for clarifycation. They were surprised as most people just call.

By the way, they had called to confirm the appointment and ask whether I had understood the instructions (eh, nope).

The hardest part was the long list of items you can’t eat 3 days before. It was harder the first day -I was having olfatory visions during TV commercials- than the last.

I’ll let you know how it was after tomorrow.

Last words: the cats get everything.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]MM, I’m quietly confident that this is just one of those things one needs do as one approaches a certain stage in one’s life.

HG[/quote]

Excellent post HGC. Glad you said so. Also, I hope one is checking the prostate, as I just heard from my father’s doc, that all men will have prostate cancer at some point in their lives. I hope this isn’t true, but he emphasized it was. Omni good on you for being so proactive.

Well, Tzu Chi was OK, very well planned drill exercise. They have you going from one station to the other -not a boring moment- since you step in.

First, you get these cute canary-colored gym clothes -not a robe- and a nurse shows you around the floor -all the different locations where the examination will take place. Each “office” has a sign outside explaining if there are things you have to do before of during the exam. You will be accompanied by a nurse/orderly to every different office, as your turn comes up. :bow:

It goes by quite quickly. The docs are looking for specific signs of trouble -bones out of place, relevant numbers in your bloodwork, etc, so, you have to speak up if you want anything else checked, and they will do it promptly. You can tell them at the beginning -they make a list in the forms for you to fill out- or as you go. Say, they are doing the ultrasound of your liver, and you want them to check for a bump on the left side -an earthquake related injury in my case. :s

They give you lunch -vegetarian- after the endoscopy and colonoscopy is done. It was yummy and filling. They have coffee and tea -plus cookies and candies- afterwards. :lick: (Please take into consideration I was fasting for 3 days previously).

The doctor who made the summary consultation -explained the results- had pretty decent English and answered my questions satisfactorily. I especially liked that he was not the usual -your allergy/dandruff/fallen toenail is because you are overweight" type. He said I was in good health, but in order to have better colesterol numbers, I should exercise more and eat less sweets. See? Positive reinforcement works. That makes me pay more attention to other stuff they found and I didn’t know about. :astonished:

They will give you a printed copy of the test results and/or send it to an address of your choice.

That sounds pretty good, Icon - and at my local hospital (I took the baby there yesterday).

How much did it cost?

Basic is 16 thousand but I paid an extra 700nts for an additional test not in the plan.

The only thing missing -compared to the others like Shinkong’s basic plan- is the dermatologist.

And the PET scan is 32 thousand. That I’ll like to do when I hit 40.

Did I mention the anesthetic was glorious -I never knew a thing, no dizziness, etc? I’ll post details in the endoscopy thread.

Has anyone done this recently?

I haven’t had a heath check in awhile and have never been screened for those problems that start popping up in middle age. Before moving back to Canada, where I suspect it will be impossible to see a doctor let alone get a comprehensive check-up, I thought I would get everything looked after before I left.

I don’t have NHI anymore, how will that affect things? Best hospitals? Anything in Hsinchu?

I’ve checked the hospital websites I know of but they either don’t list the information or that section of their website is offline.

Look for Internationlal Medicine departments, either at PCC in Adventist, Shinkong, Chang Gung, Taida, Tzu Chi, etc. They have a one day thing that covers very inch of one’s body, in and out, for all budgets. Yes, off NHI.

1 Like

I went to Adventist Hospital for a complete health check a couple of years ago (planning to go again soon). Here is their website and list of various options available. I myself did option C, which is about NT10K, but you’ll see they have a big range: https://www.tahsda.org.tw/en/HealthCheckupCenter.php

1 Like

lol do you know when a reach around occurs? :joy:

Did you have any tests done again or only the one in 2008?

The best choice in Hsinchu is Mackay Memorial Hospital on Kuang Fu Road. It’s been a while since I did this, but you need to book in advance.

Good luck getting this set up!

Guy