Pensions for permanent residents

Yes, that’s what I looked at.

So I had our HR lady do a little research to see what I needed to do to participate. Apparently there is a little discrepancy between the Focus Taiwan article and what actually happened yesterday at the Legislative Yuan.

According to that article, “A new law aimed at attracting more foreign professionals to Taiwan was approved by the Legislative Yuan on Tuesday.”

However, according to the Chinese language articles, yesterday was just the third reading of the proposal and has yet to be passed.

I’ll update as I get more information.

The 三讀通過 means it’s been passed. It just hasn’t come into effect yet.

The date of promulgation has yet to be determined by the Executive Yuan:
第二十二條
本法施行日期,由行政院定 之。

3 Likes

Yup. The Taipei Times seems to have jumped the gun on this too:

Guy

It has passed the third reading, which means no changes have been made. it is as good as done. The promulgation part will come quickly.

Must rewrite my stuff, though.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification! My reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired and I couldn’t quite understand completely what our HR lady was telling me on the phone. Just that it hasn’t gone into effect yet but passed the 3rd reading.

To me, it seemed the English versions and Chinese versions were causing some confusion with their wording.

Either way, from what I gathered, companies can’t use “I didn’t know” as an excuse for not allowing their white collared workers with permanent resident status from participating.

That doesn’t mean they won’t give it their best try though. :sunglasses: My company even tried to get away with not giving me NHI.

1 Like

I’m confused. Will companies now be obligated to include foreign workers in the pension system? From the Taipei Times article:

People with Alien Permanent Resident Certificates are to be included in the pension system. They can decide whether to claim their pensions in a lump sum or in monthly payments.

That’s how the above reads, but I’m very pessimistic about these things.

Not sure, but I intend to find out!

This is bad reporting! The lump sum vs monthly payment issue affects one group only: teachers working in public schools/universities. In the past, non-citizens had no choice: only the lump sum payment was possible. Once this law is passed, non-citizens holding APRCs will be able to choose. This is a very big deal for university profs working in the public university system, but I believe not really relevant for others.

Hope this helps.

Guy

From the article in Chinese (立院三讀 租稅簽證優惠吸引外國白領 | 政治 | 重點新聞 | 中央社 CNA):

受聘從事專業工作外國專業人才,已取得永久居留許可者,適用勞工退休金條例退休金制度;

It seems to say that foreigners with special status (受聘從事專業工作外國專業人才) and with APRC can participate in (lit. may be suitable to participate in) the pension system. Can somebody check my comprehension?

Edit: I don’t read that as companies being obligated to include their foreigner white collar workers in the pension system. But my Chinese could be lacking.

Yes, white collar workers who have permanent residency will be included in the pension system.

外國專業人才 refers to foreigners who get work visas under Article 46 of the Employment Service Act, which is basically everybody who has a normal white collar job (but not the blue collar workers from SEA).

1 Like

I hope you’re right. I’m trying to think toward retirement but I’m an idiot about saving money so I could use every bit of help available.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure my company’s been paying into the pension system for me for over a decade. Does that mean that before this law change, I would have been shit out of luck?

I have a similar question…am I now entitled to the money that’s been contributed on my behalf in the past (both pre and post APRC), or does the clock reset to when the new law becomes effective and that money’s gone?

Indeed. But when you think retirement age is 65 with 25 years in service… At 15 years in the same job, I still have a long way to go… :sob:

1 Like

If I read correctly, Article 11 says you can select your current one or new one, and once you make the choice, you cannot change it later.

I may (likely) be confused, but I’m wondering about the money my company likely paid into the system before this law change, which I wouldn’t ever get because I wasn’t eligible before. At least that’s what I was told. If true, can I now receive those funds?

What current and new ones? my understanding is that the company either puts some money in an account or doesn’t. And if you were not Taiwanese or not married to one, your company wasn’t putting any money on any account. Please somebody correct me if I’m wrong.

Pre and post this legislation, and this doesn’t seem to have any provisions for married or not. It just says all APRC holders are now able to participate where as before most were not. Also, what about funds set aside before you acquired the APRC?