Pepper Spray

Where do they sell pepper spray in Taipei? Maybe a military surplus store?

Travel and mountain/hiking stores.

Why do you need pepper spray?

Be careful what you buy, there are pepper sprays and then there are PEPPER sprays! The former will give you a false sense of security and will only succeed in antagonizing someone further, the latter would take down a charging bull elephant. You’ll need to try them out on yourself to figure out which is which!

Turns a mediocre meal into a great meal, you should try it.

1 Like

The same reason others need pepper spray and for the reasons they sell it.

Are you in a situation where you find yourself feeling unsafe?

Not at the moment, but there was that old lady on the elevator asking me questions like how long have you lived here, how much is your salary…

6 Likes

So I got me one of these:

Which I will take to the old country. Here in Taipei I have a “concealed” one that looks more like a cute Hello Kitty keychain. But conditions are different.

They have this for sale here, which is weird:

Basically a pepper spray gun.

The same reason people carry a taser or a handgun; self protection.

You can also get them on shopee and ruten. However, as noted, you really have no idea what you’re buying unless you test it on yourself.

Buy two of the finger-grip ones, and practice with one (just like the girl in the video). You want to keep eye contact with your target at all times; do not glance down at your device. Just like the guy says, find the contours with your fingers and then bring it up to spray. Practice finding it and bringing it up without ever glancing at it.

Forget the pepper spray gun. Avoid that like the plague.

1 Like

I found it really weird that they sell such a thing at all, and in Taiwan of all places -that is a screenshot from Yahoo Kimo. I mean, what is the use of the thing?!

I am looking for something else to use at close quaters, like those metal thinghies for your knuckles, but I´d like to check the ones at the store first.

How powerful is the pepper spray they sell? Is it the same strength as cops use ?

It’s supposed to make the buyer feel safer. It looks “just like” a gun, after all. Except it doesn’t. It’s so big that the bad guy would steal a look at it, think “does she think she’s pulling a gun on me?” and very likely charge you with anger building in him like a fire.

Just a horrible design. If it looks like a gun, you want it to shoot bullets just like a gun, not to do something less lethal. Talk about “planning for A while expecting B,” sheesh.

The finger-contour ones are far harder to make out (“what is that she’s holding now, lipstick?!”). I’d carry the pink one because it’s even more confusing. He won’t know it’s a threat until he’s got an eyeful or two of pepper spray. Much, much safer option for you.

1 Like

Mine is not pink unfortunately. the small one I got is, and it has little hearts all over…

I am feeling quite insecure about staying at my Mom´s place, as she had a break in last year. I am thinking of buying a couple of motion sensors and stuff… or better yet, stay in a hotel. But hotels are not safe either. A pal stayed at a downtown place with quite a reputation for elegance and fine cuisine… and she was robbed of her merchandise -jewelry and stuff. She had not opened her bags in public or anything, so it had to be someone from the hotel getting in her room and rummaging through her stuff until jackpot.

And here in Taiwan I do not need to lock the door.

Was she home when it happened?

If she was gone then maybe you can relax. If it happened when she was home, then one I hope she’s ok, two I hope she upgraded her house (doors, downstairs windows, etc.), and three I’d be worried, too.

If she was away, then just make sure you don’t leave your money, your passport, and anything else you value highly there when you go out. If you don’t want to carry all that, then maybe you can rent a locker at a nearby bus station or a bowling alley or the post office or a bank or whatever.

This time she was away, but many years ago, when I was still home, we had a break in with us inside.

She lives in a gated community, with guards and all. But the back of the house is facing the big adventist temple, they have a huge property that is hard to patrol. Told her to put bars on the backyard but even that they can break through…or go around.

It is also locate din the middle of these huge suburban nightmare residential areas, only houses. Nearest supermarket is a 15 minute drive away, bus stop like 1km walking. How they live like that beats me.

Heck if they have lockers at safe places, not even banks in the ol country. Banks even cheat you when exchanging money. It is bad down there.

So I’m guessing by this thread that pepper spray is legal here. Any limitations on that legality? Can it be carried anywhere?

As long as you aren’t using it to add flavor to your food, it’s probably illegal