Petanque Terrain (Fields/Court), Anyone Play?

Saw a nice will kept spot in Taipei on Guanshan Riverside Park under Highway 1.

They also have Lyonnaise, whatever that is.

20180115_170531

20180115_170537

20180115_170620

Guess I should have brought my bocce set.

I don’t play, but they installed courts at Guangming Riverside Park here in Taoyuan (Nankan) a couple of years ago. I wondered if the courts would be used, but I often see groups of older folks playing.

Are you in Nankan? We should meet up for a drink some time.

I see the oldies playing boules. I’d like to join them, but I’m a bit shy.

1 Like

There are now also two free mini golf courses on the riversides, one opposite Dazhi and one up in Shilin. Very demanding courses on account of they’re astroturf on concrete so balls bounce out of bounds often. Best to play a skins/matchplay format since some holes might only be completed by one player.

Copious amounts of beer should be involved.

C’mon TG, you don’t have the balls to play bocce!

Yes I do. A big old set of big wooden balls. And one little metal one!

Hmmm…doesn’t seem like Pétanque balls, a form of boules where the goal is to toss or roll hollow steel balls as close as possible to a small wooden ball called a cochonnet (literally “piglet”) or jack, while standing inside a circle with both feet on the ground.

That’s some weird French game. Same basic concept though

Saw these at Decathlon sporting goods store.

And this in Taichung

2 Likes

Cheers! I popped into Decathlon during my lunch break and bagged the last set on sale.

I guess I didn’t see this post from two years ago; honestly, I wasn’t ignoring your invitation. I don’t live in Nankan anymore, but I’m not far, by Yiwen Park area.

1 Like

Has anyone seen or is there anyone playing this or similar game anywhere?

A group of us toss off regularly in Nankan.

1 Like

There’s courts up in the Minsheng community. The big park closest to Minquan E rd.

Any time I’ve been at that park I never see anyone younger than retirement age playing. Of course, I’ve never seen foreigners playing either. I’m curious, are you usually the youngest one on the court? Do other foreigners play as well?

tianmu sports park has 3 ptnq courts. near the soccer field.

Across the river from DecorHouse. Every second weekend or so we play. Some of us are close to pension age, but general age range 30-50s. All foreign.

I think you’re thinking about the covered petanque courts near the basketball courts.