Phantom Tremors

Ever since that quake we had a week or so ago off the Southern coast of Taiwan, I have been feeling phantom tremors :s . Has anyone else experienced this before?

I used to live in California and quakes never bothered me. Of course we lived in a one story house and I was confident our house was built pretty well. However, in Taiwan I live on the 4th floor and our building is old. I can see cracks in the walls and ceilings, presumably from settling and other previous quakes.

So, when this last big quake hit, I was pretty scared. Ever since then, I have been a bit jumpy and now I am feeling phantom tremors. (My wife says that those phantom tremors can often times be attributed to your own heart beat…kind of weird)

Am I alone in feeling these?

Hey, ah, er, yeah, it wasn’t that big.

Anyway, what you are feeling is the actual CHI of your home moving about from room to room. You really need your tai tai to get you up to speed on this stuff. :smiley:

You’re not the only one - for a while after every earthquake here I experience the same thing. I didn’t tell anyone about it though because I expected to be thought of as crazy…not that people don’t already say that…

I felt them for about 2 months after the big one. There were real aftershocks for about 2 weeks afterwards.

I once knew a silly cow who managed to get sent home on a full sickness coverage thing because she managed to convince doctors she was suffering severe psychological symptoms because of fear of earthquakes.

Everyone else in her office was sick as a parrot that they hadn’t thought of it.

I’m pretty sensitive to quakes, and tend to feel the 1.0’s, which many people don’t. After significant tremors, I tend to feel the aftershocks too. So I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s happening to you too. On the other hand, trucks passing by and gusts of wind do move buildings. After an earthquake you’re probably more sensitive to these motions and more likely to attribute them to seismic activity. :idunno:

[quote=“Quarters”]Ever since that quake we had a week or so ago off the Southern coast of Taiwan, I have been feeling phantom tremors :s . Has anyone else experienced this before?

I used to live in California and quakes never bothered me. Of course we lived in a one story house and I was confident our house was built pretty well. However, in Taiwan I live on the 4th floor and our building is old. I can see cracks in the walls and ceilings, presumably from settling and other previous quakes.

So, when this last big quake hit, I was pretty scared. Ever since then, I have been a bit jumpy and now I am feeling phantom tremors. (My wife says that those phantom tremors can often times be attributed to your own heart beat…kind of weird)

Am I alone in feeling these?[/quote]

big quakes really shake your cage man. Its a type of post traumatic disorder. And a lot of the times , there really is shaking going on. Lots of minor quakes not reported at all.

after the 921 huge quake in taiwan i and everyone i knew were just shaken to the core (my cats were petrified all day long). And i remember if i looked at the antenna for my radio i could see it shaking side to side every now and then (sign of a minor quake).

fact is theres a whole lota shakin goiin on after a big one.

I used to feel the world reel around me all the time. I’m really glad I quit drinking.