Pigeon Houses are Better Than The Real Houses

I notice from a distance when driving up and down the east coast what appears to be a nice rooftop flat with a view of the surrounding area. Nice, well put together building usually well painted/covered. Thinking to myself now that is a good spot for rooftop flat with a view. Somebody really put that space to good use.

Then I get closer and notice it is freagin’ pigeon coop/house and the house upon which it sits is a dump. This weekend was in the Dasi/Shihmen area. It just amazes me.

So now when I’m driving the east coast, and see a nice structure jutting above the rest, I think first it is a pigeon coop and am surprised if it isn’t and is someones house. But, that hasn’t happened yet (LMAO). Sorry, don’t have or know how to link pictures here.

That’s because pigeon racing in Taiwan is a massive and lucrative business often the pigeons are worth more than the house.

2 Likes

Here’s some pictures of some regular ones. There b are thousands of these pigeon houses in South Taiwan.

20180118_133412

20180118_121206

20180118_115352

1 Like

They’re all over Taoyuan too. As Fenlender said, it’s big money. Highly illegal (but of course not enforced) and from what I’ve read, affiliated with local organized crime.

Apparently, instead of taking them to remote locations to release them for the race, they take them several miles off shore and millions never make it back to land.

https://youtu.be/06wnPxEZvw4

2 Likes

When we lived in an apartment in downtown Hsinchu there was a structure a couple buildings down. Nothing like early morning fireworks exploding outside your bedroom window.

Chiayi county

20180302_150154

20180302_150145

20180302_145845

20180302_150135

1 Like

Quail eggs? I wonder if this where quail eggs come from in the night markets.

This one’s fairly simple not paint it up and nice like many of them.

1 Like

In Belgium pigeons live the good life

Good circulation and excellent view.

What did I just watch? Never knew this happened here.

I remember reading it was estimated to be a 70 billion dollar a year industry here.

1 Like