Places to drive to during summer to get out of taipei

So I rarely drive in the city since I got my license. It’s just not convenient. It’s pretty damn hot right now and I was wondering if there are some watering hole with maybe a water fall to swim in or maybe a nice beach that I can drive out to that isn’t too bad. Not all that familiar with places like this outside of taipei. I rarely get out of the city unless I leave the country.

Follow Xiaofei
This guy is mapping waterfalls and swimming holes all over the island. He added a bunch of stuff around Taipei recently.

1 Like

I wouldn’t really advise driving around without a license. You can be careful, but the guy next to you won’t. Getting in an accident, even a minor fender bender, would not be good. You would lose a lot of leverage since you don’t even have a license to drive!

Didn’t you pass the written/road test not long ago? You should’ve gotten the license the same day? No?

The above is just my two cents, but I’m sure you understand the consequences when you get the behind the wheel.

To answer your question, I would suggest a nice swim here…

Not too far from the city and not too close. Well…technically it’s still (New) Taipei.

This is @marasan 's territory, I’ll leave it to him to explain the ins and outs. And I believe he’ll be there on Saturday?

1 Like

Thanks I’ll check it out. The heat is unbearable. It’s even worst than Italy where it’s 45 degrees when I was just there with the humidity and being in the city with cars and buildings that add to the heat.

My bad @ranlee I meant since I got my license. My stubby fingers on my phone and General disregard to proof read wrote don’t.

I know that natural pool/river. Saw people there swimming in the winter when it was like 10 degrees C.

Btw the DL here is like from like the 1960s. It’s literally a piece of paper they type your info on. And you bring your own picture for them to glue on…

+1 for Follow Xiaofei.

https://goo.gl/maps/jHDcpH4EXXA2

Here’s a spot we did some cliff jumping at late last year.

That’s a good place but it’s gets crowded in the afternoons on the weekends. Very empty in the mornings. The water is clear and there’s lots of small fish. Some of them nip at your feet- I guess eating the dead skin.

I think going to beach would be much more enjoyable. And I think going to the north coast would be best since you won’t have the terrible traffic, like when you head to Yilan.

Baishawan in the morning is very nice. There are people doing laps along the rope that defines the swimming area. It’s cool in the water. Then there’s a decent fish & chips place, an okay Vietnamese restaurant, and another cafe type of place with western snacks. I suggest heading home after lunch because the place will get crazy with the crowds starting at around 11 am.

I heard Fulong Beach is similar to what you have in Baishawan. Avoid Fei Cui Wan. The pool next to the beach is gone and it’s been only partially removed. Ruins the whole mood of the place. Many tourists from China the last time we went there (we actually got a refund at the hotel and left for Baishawan- that’s how bad it was).

I will most likely go on the weekdays instead of the weekend. I work my own hours right now so I rather go and enjoy when no ones there. Can you tell me a bit more about the swimming area? I’m actually not a big fan of the beach with getting sand everywhere, especially in my car haha.

I vote for your secret spot up on Xi Wan Road. You don’t have to commit too much since it’s so close.

Going to beach in this weather is just asking for sunburns and…death.

@Andrew0409 , you can also consider the cold springs down in Su Ao in Yilan. It’s a long trip, but to my knowledge, it’s 1 out of 2 natural cold springs in the world.

Secret spot on Xiwan Road. Cool water. In the morning before the crowds. More like a lap pool at this time. Got some runners and cyclists coming here after their workout to cool off. Very nice.

P_20170805_090316_vHDR_Auto

Yilan from a distance up on a mountain. You can’t see the surfers and the swimmers from here. Black sand. I swam there before and I loved it.

yes indeed.

now that sounds like a good place. I don’t mind the drive, I quite like driving unless it’s in taipei city lol or even parts of new taipei where theres wayyy to many scooters. Actually I wouldn’t mind staying the night there if the travel is long. It’s a slow work period for me, next month will be crazy.

Baishawan at sunset. You can sit there at one of the restaurants and take shot after shot like this one- each a bit different as the sun sets more and more.

P_20170623_184828_vHDR_Auto

My vote is still for the beach! You can shower afterward for a small fee. Or you can just use the hose at whatever restaurant you go to. Finish everything up by 11 am then head to lunch. Perfect.

@marasan you can include more than one picture in one post. Just click the upload button again after uploading.

I believe there’s only one place for it…

There’s the general admissions price or you can get a private room, which is only a wooden tub and stool to sit, with the gf. I’ve done both on two different occasions. The general admissions is much more worth it since there’s no time limit and you can show off your wine belly you got from Italy. Win win.

I somehow lost weight in Italy haha. The meals are all pretty healthy and in good portions, a lot of carbs yes. But i’m not one to shy away from carbs.
Plus they you actually have to sit down and enjoy your meal, vs food and drink places on every street here. food is really greasy compared to Italian food.

That’s a very unsuccessful vacation if you ask me.

Wulai is a great general destination since there’s lots of river access. I favor river tracing at 加九寮 Jiajiuliao as a means to stay cool. You can follow the stream quite a long way up and there’s lots of pools to jump into. Not recommended for snake-a-phobes as there’s lots of them too. Turn-off is about 1.5 kms before Wulai proper. Look for Honghe Valley signage.

1 Like