Please give me your advice on my kids' education in Taiwan

Did a search online and came up with the following local schools that offer bilingual classes:

1. St Dominic Catholic high school
    163.32.59.168/2/english/
    2.St Pauls high school
    mcsh.kh.edu.tw/releaseRedire … ageID=3039
    3.Da Yung junior high
    junior.dystcs.kh.edu.tw/index.php
    4.i shou
    isis.ks.edu.tw/
    5.kivam junior high
    kivamjh.kh.edu.tw/

As for the international schools, most attend either the Morrison Academy or the Kaoshiong American school.
I do not have personal experience with schools in Kaoshioing but have friends who send their children to Morrison, KAS as well as Ishou, all are happy with their choice, so I guess it really depends on personal preferences and priorities.

[quote=“asianmom”]We put our kids in the summer programs organised by the schools before deciding which one to pick, cos I didn’t think my one visit was sufficient to gain enough insight to the school; just an idea.
By the way, except for TAS and TES, which has all sorts of extra funds added to their fees; most international schools’ fees are around 200-240k per semester, could be cheaper as one moves south.Also, we get a concession for the second kid in Grace Christian Academy.Just so you know, many of the parents in these international schools are not big earners either, it’s just a matter of priorities, I, for one, have to cost down on many other ‘necessities’ to afford the fees.[/quote]
Thank you again asianmom. Can you tell more about the summer program you mentioned? Such as time and duration, contents and cost. I will let the kids complete their school year in Vietnam by beginning of June. It will take some time to have all the transcripts and paperwork stamped by Taiwan Embassy , as required by law. As for the links I do also have them and check out the fees as well. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find sufficient info as to enrollment and exam requirement and procedure. That’s why I plan to visit them. I guess it would take some time to make necessary arrangement via international calls. I doubt if email will work it out as I dont know if the faculty and admin staff are willing to respond email from overseas in English! In my case, I think I will look for a bilingual school for now. Thank you again.

The summer schools run from late Jun to early Aug, the dates vary with schools. The cost is around $30000NTD per month. Most international schools have them, and except for TAS and TES, which cater only to their own students, almost anyone can enroll in these Summer programs.
Majority of the international schools hold their annual entrance in April/May, hence, application is best completed by March. School transcripts for the past 2 years as well as a foreign passport of the child is required for application, note that the ARC / visa is not needed until the actual enrollment.

I took a look at the curriculum of some of the bilingual schools. Many of them don’t appear to be what I would consider to be a bilingual school. Essentially, they are schools where in addition to the standard Chinese curriculum covered by law, they add in (about 40% of the curriculum) English as a second language classes and a few subjects in English that duplicate subjects being taught in Chinese. In other words, the purpose of these schools is to teach Taiwanese students English in addition to the regular curriculum. They are mainly private schools and appear to cater to the Tiger Moms of the world. One school that appears to be more of a real bilingual curriculum is I-Shou Int. School. It’s pretty far out of town though and the tuition is said to be NT$150,000 per semester. I think that’s about the same as Morrison.

Note this comment though. expatexchange.com/advice/62/ … l%20School

[quote]
The school’s student base is approximately 90% Taiwanese, and there is no transition program to note. In fact, it can be said that the school is quite culturally insensitive to foreigners, and makes no considerations or allowances for repatriation.[/quote]

[quote]
This school is best suited to local Taiwanese students. It is an IB school, although is not an accredited international school. The bilingual program of the primary school causes many parents concern about their child’s language acquisition, although there are pathways for MOE education as well as the IB’s MYP and DP in the junior and high schools.[/quote]

You need to be aware that these kind of schools in Taiwan are for-profit businesses usually controlled by people who do not have backgrounds in Education. They do need to comply with Taiwan’s strict laws on education though.

[quote=“asianmom”]The summer schools run from late Jun to early Aug, the dates vary with schools. The cost is around $30000NTD per month. Most international schools have them, and except for TAS and TES, which cater only to their own students, almost anyone can enroll in these Summer programs.
Majority of the international schools hold their annual entrance in April/May, hence, application is best completed by March. School transcripts for the past 2 years as well as a foreign passport of the child is required for application, note that the ARC / visa is not needed until the actual enrollment.[/quote]
So much appreciated your information. Do you mean the program will last for 1 month only or else? I will ask them directly when I come visit them then. I also visited some Taiwan government websites and acquired some information such that the kids’ transcripts, passport, evidence of vaccination must be translated into Chinese and notarized by the related overseas Taiwanese Mission. As dependents, my kids will arrive Taiwan under visitor visa status and will be able to get their resident visa together with ARC/APRC. But then they have to stay for 2 months before they are qualified to obtain their own NHI cards. Is my understanding correct? Would appreciate if you could point out any misleading information. Thank you.

[quote=“Feiren”]I took a look at the curriculum of some of the bilingual schools. Many of them don’t appear to be what I would consider to be a bilingual school. Essentially, they are schools where in addition to the standard Chinese curriculum covered by law, they add in (about 40% of the curriculum) English as a second language classes and a few subjects in English that duplicate subjects being taught in Chinese. In other words, the purpose of these schools is to teach Taiwanese students English in addition to the regular curriculum. They are mainly private schools and appear to cater to the Tiger Moms of the world. One school that appears to be more of a real bilingual curriculum is I-Shou Int. School. It’s pretty far out of town though and the tuition is said to be NT$150,000 per semester. I think that’s about the same as Morrison.

Note this comment though. expatexchange.com/advice/62/ … l%20School

[quote]
The school’s student base is approximately 90% Taiwanese, and there is no transition program to note. In fact, it can be said that the school is quite culturally insensitive to foreigners, and makes no considerations or allowances for repatriation.[/quote]

[quote]
This school is best suited to local Taiwanese students. It is an IB school, although is not an accredited international school. The bilingual program of the primary school causes many parents concern about their child’s language acquisition, although there are pathways for MOE education as well as the IB’s MYP and DP in the junior and high schools.[/quote]

You need to be aware that these kind of schools in Taiwan are for-profit businesses usually controlled by people who do not have backgrounds in Education. They do need to comply with Taiwan’s strict laws on education though.[/quote]
Dear Feiren, thank you so much for your responds. Yes, you are right. I have the same feeling that bilingual schools in Kaohsiung/Taiwan are in fact extensive classes/programs in English. Why do I have such feeling? Because it is very similar here in Vietnam where my kids ended up speaking a lot of Vietnamese in a very expensive bilingual school in Ho Chi Minh City. Most of the students are local. Well, as my wife likes it that way so I just want to please her. But next chapter will be in Taiwan where my wife will not speak the language then it’s an obvious obstacle for all of them.
For Ishou, I had many good recommendation from Taiwanese friends. Again, their comprehension is very different from mine. Ishou is also one of the school that has quite an English website so I can learn more about it before I pay a visit. Besides Ishou, I also like KAS because its published information does interest me. But I need to visit them first. For last academic years, tuition and fees for Morisson and KAS are about 180k Taiwan dollars. Surprisingly, Dominic has a very similar tuition and fee. There are many other listed fees as well which may well add up to the final cost per semester. Can you send me the links where it post the fees of Ishou and other bilingual schools? Of course, if you do have time and I will thank you very much. I can’t find them.

I couldn’t find them either. So I googled on some Taiwan parenting boards and found out that way. It’s not at all surprising that the tuition rates are similar since they are all targeting the same market. The difference is that you must have a foreign passport to go to Morrison or KAS and I don’t think they are for-profit. Dominic won’t be either, but (I’m [lapsed] catholic), catholic schools in Taiwan tend to be very conservative an authoritarian.

Yeah, the vaccination card is mandatory too, I forgot about that one, sorry. As for the school fees, most schools do not publish them as there are fine tuning every semester/year but a gauge between 180K to 260K would be about right for any international schools. The summer schools go by week, so you could choose to stay for however long you want. If you are willing to fork out for a bilingual ‘local’ school, I would suggest you go for a proper accredited international one, they are worlds apart, believe me.

Can you name 1 or some according to your own knowledge? Thank you very much

You mean the summer camps? I think almost all the international schools in Taipei has them, just click onto their calendar and go back to last July and you’ll see it. They usually do not advertise until around late May/ early June. I did no research on Kaoshiong so I’m not sure if Morrison and KAS runs them.

No, I mean " a proper accredited international one" when you referred to local bilingual schools. Thank you

I meant international schools, namely Morrison or KAS. But I just run a check for you on the WASC site, neither are listed, strange.

Thats what I am concerned. The perceived good schools are not really accredited. Thanks

Correction: KAS is accredited, as for Morrison, the one in Taichung is, Bethany and Kaishiong Morrison are branches of the one in Taichung so maybe that’s why they are not mentioned ?

Oh that’s very good, thank you.

This thread should be required reading for anyone thinking of moving to Taiwan with kids. I’ve lived here for three years and didn’t know a lot of information in here, particularly the smaller “country” schools catering to special needs children.

We moved to Taiwan three years ago with our then 2 and 4 year old boys. We enrolled them in a bilingual Montessori school but told the teachers to speak to them mainly in Chinese. Our oldest stayed in that school two years before entering a local first grade. We’d scouted his primary school before choosing to move into the neighborhood. It was known for being a good school, but there was no infrastructure for children learning Chinese as a second language. The faculty assured us that previous foreign students had done fine, even entering as late as the third grade (I do find that one hard to believe).

By the time our oldest son was ready for first grade his Montessori teachers felt confident in his comprehension for spoken Chinese was up to snuff. The first few weeks seemed fine but very quickly ramped up with the Bopomofo, after the first month the students were taking oral dictation for homework assignments. Prior to starting we’d spent time with our son teaching him the Bopomofo, however the usage became complex very quickly and the dictation of entire sentences overwhelmed him. After a while he was unable to complete or even understand his homework. As someone mentioned early in this thread, the math problems are in Chinese and with my limited Chinese skills I was unable to understand, much less help him with any of the assignments.

Within five weeks we hired a tutor to come five days a week to assist him with his homework. Things turned around fairly quickly and his grades started improving. We’re now in he middle of his first semester of second grade and he’s consistently getting mid 90’s on his tests. His last midterm did slip into the 80’s, the characters need to be reinforced ALL THE TIME. I do go through his assignments and ask if he understands all of the new vocabulary, there are many times when I have to look up the definitions and explain to him, even with a tutor coming over.

For anyone looking to bring their foreign child here to attend a local school, I’d say you MUST have someone who is not only fluent in the spoken language, but fully literate and able to explain the nuances of the written language. As one example among oh so many, everyday our son comes home with a new four character phrase (Chengyu). Their easy enough to look up on their own but when their embedded in a reading assignment, you can spend a lot of time chasing your tail translating the sentence.

I was just asking my sons tutor if he thought a non Chinese speaking 10 year old could come in and survive the local schools, he just shook his head and laughed. I agree with him. A kid can be a genius, picking up the spoken language rapidly but that’s just the tip of the iceberg for the elementary schools. They’re already cramming the writing in, I can’t imagine having to catch up 3-4 years of intense character memorization.

Our desire all along was to immerse our children in the language long enough that they’ll never forget to speak it and eventually put them in an international school. At this point we’re thinking our oldest should finish the 3rd grade at a minimum. If we transfer to the international school he should still have a social life that reinforces his spoken Chinese. I do pause quite often to think how nice it would be for them to be fully literate as well, something that is so much easier to accomplish as youngsters, nearly impossible for adults.

One final word about his social life in the school. He has plenty of friends, he’s VERY outgoing, often too social to the detriment of his focusing and studying. He insists that Chinese is easier than English. His teacher has been very supportive through the whole process. It wasn’t really necessary but I’ve noticed her English has picked up quite a bit in the year and a half that our son has been in her class. I suspect she may have been working to improve her own English skills to better communicate with us. His first year in school he seemed to be a little sensitive about his darker skin color (1/2 Indian, 1/4 Latino, 1/4 Swedish). I’m guessing some kids had brought it to his attention. We talked about it a fair bit and I think the other students were just not used to seeing it, now they’ve gotten over it and don’t talk about it anymore. He’s one of two non Taiwanese kids in a fairly large school, about 250 in the second grade.

Luckily we’ve had a great experience so far, but we’ve always had a plan B. It’s part of our 5 year relocation package the company will pay for our kids education, whether it be a local school or one of the international schools (TES, TAS, etc). We’ve saved the company quite a bit of cash by choosing to put our boys in local schools. It was never about the money, but a priority for us that they learn to speak Chinese. Time will come next year to renegotiate another education package. If our current arrangement were to end, we’d be out of here within six months. It’s important for us to have that option if and when we decide it’s time to switch.

1 Like

Oh that’s very good, thank you.[/quote]

Yes, just to confirm, all of the schools in the Morrison system are accredited by WASC and ASCI.

Thank you Shaktipalooza and AmoyMama.
I think “the smaller “country” schools catering to special needs children” is perhaps not a common theme in all parts of Taiwan. I need to visit Kaohsiung to find out. If you also read the thread “Enrolling Older Foreign Children in Local Schools” by Petrichor, you will see that there are a number of parents who chose local schools for their kids. Most of the reason is to learn the Chinese language and the culture of the country they were blending in.

I know the thread has been dormant for a few months, but I wanted to throw my two cents in. Please note that I am biased, as I work for Dominican, so take this with whatever grain of salt you think you need.

We are a small school (about 100 students), and all of our classes are taught in English (except Chinese). Our students all speak English all the time, and because of that, their fluency is surprisingly high for Taiwan.

We are a Catholic school, but we are hardly authoritarian. All religions and creeds are welcome here (including mine, which is “none of the above”), and the only requirement is that you respect the school’s. We say prayers every morning and before lunch and we have monthly masses, but no one is targeted for what they do or do not believe in. We are not the stereotypical Catholic school from old George Carlin albums.

I don’t really have more of a point than this. I have loved working here and I love the way our students interact with each other and the staff. We are small, and that offers a lot of benefits to our students’ education, and it is great knowing everyone by name and personality. I can’t attest to how our education compares to KAS or Morrison (we have been known to have dance classes in the past!), but I feel good doing what we do here. We also have the lowest tuition rates of all the international schools in Kaohsiung, for what that’s worth.

Finally, I don’t know anything about I-Shou or how good they are for your kids and their education, but I almost everyone I know who works there or has worked there has never had a good word to say about it. Again, feel free to disregard any or all of this post. I think there are some great educational opportunities available in Kaohsiung, but I’m just going off of what I know directly and what I’ve heard second hand.

It’s nice that your school respects other religions. I went to a Catholic school and I wasn’t a Catholic (didn’t have any religion). It was my local school and I didn’t have a choice. I remember being told at the age of around 12 or something that my teachers and classmates would go to heaven, but I’d burn in hell for an eternity because I wasn’t a Catholic. I also remember how the practicing Catholic students got preferential treatment and generally higher grades. The whole thing sickens me to this day. In my mind, education and religion should be kept a distance.