Please give me your advice on my kids' education in Taiwan

I went to a Catholic high school in California in the late 1970s. There were no morning or lunch prayers and there were no compulsory masses. I believe there might have been a prayer at major school events. We had a religion class that I would describe as exposing students to the basics of the Catholic faith and asking them to discuss them. I was a raging atheist who showed little respect for my teacher’s views I’m sorry to say, but he respected my views and tried to reason with me about them. There was certainly no discussion of anyone going to hell, Catholic or otherwise. We did discuss the concept of hell and the evolution of catholic doctrine about it but it was in no way coercive or threatening.

My impression is that the Dominican school in Taipei is somewhere between George Carlin and the liberal Catholic school I went to. I have met many graduates since then, most of whom speak excellent English and are very successful in a wide range of endeavors. To me, it would foolishly narrow-minded to reject a school just because it is Catholic.

I’ll end on a controversial note. It seems to me that anti-catholic sentiment seems a bit stronger among some of our board members from the UK. Lingering historical effects of institutional discrimination and class-based attitudes?

No, we’re just wary of a “religion” that’s spent most of its ignominious history causing more harm than good, and continues to do so. Personally, though, I’d have no qualms about sending my kids to a school like the one you describe. There’s a world of difference between the Catholic church as a political organisation, and individual Catholics who are just doing the best they can in life.

Most of my friends are or at least were Catholics (I was there for 5 years so I was going to make some friends). Half of the teachers were fine. The other half made me and the other handful of non Catholics feel uncomfortable, with comments about eternal damnation and the occasional racist remark (my dad wasn’t born in Britain). Part of the problem was that the school had been forced to take on non Catholics the year before I entered, and I was in the catchment area. I have no experience of other Catholic schools. Mine, St. Wilfrid’s (South Shields) had strong connections with the Catholic church and any local Catholic activities. We had to say prayers twice every lesson and there were frequent obligatory masses.

The thing is most people won’t understand unless they’ve been openly discriminated against for their religion or lack of it. I look back now and am angered that such small minded people were allowed access to children and thought it OK to tell me that I was going to hell. Should the shape or form an individual’s god(s) matter? And should it matter whether they believe in god(s) or not? Our experiences shape our biases, and as a result I wouldn’t put my kids in any school that subscribed to any one religion.

That’s a nice post. I have no particular Catholic axe to grind. Attended a standard UK state school, which had strong links with the local city cathedral. Our deputy head was a strict Welshman, Mr. Evans, who insisted on banning soccer. So we always had to play rugby, there was no school soccer team, and every morning there was a stirring assembly where hymns were song.

I particularly remember ‘At the name of Jesus, every knee shall bow.’ Funnily enough I don’t remember any prayers.
We also had to attend an annual school service at the Cathedral.

Apart from all that, it was all very tolerant and non-oppressive. We lived.
Inservi Deo et Laetare (Serve God and be Cheerful).

Wow, love this thread! So much very helpful information.

My kids are in Mandarin Immersion in the USA. All of their classes since kindergarten have been taught in Mandarin. The teacher does not use English. They can read and write Chinese but probably at the same level as a native.

We want to live in Taiwan for a year or so - so that my kids can improve their Mandarin with the goal of being fluent.

We are not concerned with academics. My kids do very well in school.

Prefer local schools. We are not tied to any particular area.

I have lived 20+ years in Asia and am very adaptable. Unfortunately, I do not speak Mandarin - but will learn upon arrival (I learned Korean to near fluency as an adult). Wife similar. Daughter can read and write well and speak well in a classroom setting.

Any info / ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Loved the idea of the mountain schools - or anywhere just out of the city.

opps replied to the post not noticing it was two years ago, sorry.

It has been reawakened - so post away. Always new Expats coming in with kids in need of schooling. Like me!

Anyone have kids in school right now?

Hi Kaipakati,

I am aware that your post was sent years ago, but is that possible for you to pm me the school details? (Datun Guoxiao, ten minutes up the mountain from Beitou.)

I will be visiting taipei in 2 weeks to check some school for my 6yrs old kid. He will be going to elementary school next year.

Thank you.

Here’s the school website:

http://www.dtps.tp.edu.tw/

The 4th grade teacher speaks english and if you contact the school in advance, they can probably arrange for her to meet with you and give you a quick tour and answer your questions.

It is a truly awesome school with a great atmosphere. One thing to note is that unless you’re willing to move into the school’s district (“Li”), you’ll have to enter into the lottery system and the school has grown in popularity so that it is pretty competitive to get in.

1 Like

Thank you… i will be in taipei in 3 weeks to check some of the school and hopefully i everything well as planned.

1 Like

Great reading! Get tips!

Hi LAguy, I am reading your posts from the beginning until this post.
I take my hat off to your sincere and persistent effort for your kids.
It is July 2020 now.
Reading your post is like reading an adventure novel. I haven’t finished the reading, but am hoping it has a happy ending to the main character, you :slight_smile:
I have moved here to Kaohsiung and am in the same situation as yours.
I have two daughters, 8 and 6, and I am thinking over and over again whether my move is a good choice for my kids.
I really want to hear more from you if you are still around in Kaohsiung.