Poagao's Book

Is it possible you have to select a type of card first by clicking on it (to the right of the “Card” checkoff)?

Nope, there is nothing clickable except the radio buttons to choose payment type. Even though I don’t like to use PayPal, I tried that option, but the result is the same: Nothing else you can click on, and nowhere to enter payment information.

Is it that as a pre-order we are not supposed to pay right away? I am confused.

Well, this is embarrassing - it was working yesterday when I checked it. On the case now, will hopefully have it fixed shortly.

Sincere apologies for the problems - the form is now fixed. I’ve spent the last couple of hours testing it, but let me know if there are any other problems.

[quote=“Prince Roy”]I haven’t gotten the book yet but was able to read online where TC recalls his year abroad at Tunghai U. I attended the program that same year; in fact, it’s where we first met. I think TC is somewhat unfair in his recollection, evaluation and judgment of his fellow students, and paints us all with a rather broad brush. Sure, we had our share of yahoos, but I also recall several dedicated students who genuinely appreciated Taiwan, and who made significant strides in Chinese language. Two of our classmates, in fact, placed in the top 5 of the island-wide Mandarin contest that year (50+ participants).

TC was also not the only one who took ‘real’ classes with Chinese students in the university. I attended at least two courses and I am aware of a couple of others who did the same. Hard to believe all that’s 25 years in the past now, but I want to set the record straight as much as possible, insignificant though it may be in the final analysis.[/quote]

I don’t think I ever claimed that I was the only one to take regular courses, but PR is correct: There were some non-yahoos in the group, though I’d still say they were a solid minority. Again, a quarter century later such details fade, and my impression of the foreign students in general was rather poor. Then again, I was very young at the time.

Two weeks left to get free shipping on your pre-order of the paperback. $13.99 (about NT$440), delivered to your door at the end of March. All those who were clamoring for a physical version of this great book should go and reserve your copy now.

I like that cover.

The books should arriving on doorsteps now. I got my copies, and I have to say the production quality is excellent, definitely worth the wait and better even than that of some major publishing houses. If yours hasn’t arrived yet, contact Camphor Press.

The print edition’s launch party is going to be held at Vinyl Decisions at 7 p.m. on the evening of July 18th, which is a Saturday. I’ll be signing books if anyone wants to hike up their e-Bay resale value by a cent or two.

facebook.com/events/647410042063318/

[quote=“Poagao”]The print edition’s launch party is going to be held at Vinyl Decisions at 7 p.m. on the evening of July 18th, which is a Saturday. I’ll be signing books if anyone wants to hike up their e-Bay resale value by a cent or two.

facebook.com/events/647410042063318/[/quote]

I’m in Taoyuan and don’t get off work until 6:30 :neutral: Well, guess I have to go to the Muddy Basin Ramblers show in August and try to grab you backstage for an autograph :wink: (congrats on the Grammy nomination)

We’re also playing on 7/10 at Bobwundaye, if u can make that.

Yeah, I saw that, but I work until 10:30 on Fridays. August it is.

Ha! Poagao wrote “u” on a board, just proving that he is, in fact, authentically Taiwanese! :thumbsup:

For all those still on the fence about the book, I can offer my unqualified [as in unequivocal] recommendation. It’s a fascinating read. I actually like it better than the Chinese version, because the focus is different, and tailored more to what a non-Taiwanese, particularly Westerner’s curiosities are about the author’s completely unique experience. I stand by my earlier observation that he was somewhat unfair in his characterization of many of his Tunghai classmates (I was one), but if for the movie version, he casts the current thinking-girl’s indie film hunk to play me, a hepcat ahead of his time and totally down with Taiwan, all is forgiven and I’ll call off my lawyers.

Great job, TC… :notworthy:

Thanks, Prince Roy. Of course, the fact that you don’t seem to have aged since our time at Tunghai means you could probably play yourself and nobody would notice.

By the way, as to the comments about wanting to see more photos in the book: The publishers felt that adding more photos would have hiked the price up too much. However, I do have quite a few photos from that time on my flickr:

flickr.com/photos/poagao/sets/794535

FYI, the book launch party for the print edition is being held at Vinyl Decision this Saturday, 7/18, at 7 p.m. I’ll have a few copies on hand and will be signing books.

facebook.com/events/647410042063318/

Rocket finally received his long-awaited copy of the book from them lazy bastards at Camphor.

This raccoon was looking forward to reading lots of previously unknown details behind the basic facts of your story with which he was already familiar, and the book certainly doesn’t disappoint in that regard.
An extremely pleasant surprise, though, was how really seriously well-written it is.
Rocket knew, of course, that you’re a clever young man, but your use of the language and artful storytelling technique are truly engaging.
I ain’t bullshitting back here, man.

I honestly got to work about 20 minutes late this morning because I didn’t want to put it down and get ready to go after my coffee.

:bravo: Well done, indeed, sir.

[quote=“Rocket”]Rocket finally received his long-awaited copy of the book from them lazy bastards at Camphor.

This raccoon was looking forward to reading lots of previously unknown details behind the basic facts of your story with which he was already familiar, and the book certainly doesn’t disappoint in that regard.
An extremely pleasant surprise, though, was how really seriously well-written it is.
Rocket knew, of course, that you’re a clever young man, but your use of the language and artful storytelling technique are truly engaging.
I ain’t bullshitting back here, man.

I honestly got to work about 20 minutes late this morning because I didn’t want to put it down and get ready to go after my coffee.

:bravo: Well done, indeed, sir.[/quote]

Thanks, Rocket. Feel free to leave a comment on the amazon page if you like. And sorry about making you late to work :wink:

Thanks to everyone who came to our little get-together at Vinyl Decision on Saturday night. It was nice to see some old friends and meet new ones. Hope you all enjoy the book!