Pokemon Go Taiwan discussion

In a related topic, since we can’t beat them, can we join them? My pal’s restaurant is taking a hit these last weekends as it is located in a place that, though touristic, does not have many of these critters. Is there any way to “attract” the Poemons/get a stop assigned? Someone mentioned “planting a sakura”. Could that help?

How does that work?

Here you go @Icon

It’s not guaranteed they’ll add one, but worth a try. You can only imagine how flustered they are with e-mail requests.

@tempogain

Fake, as in, running to the ice cream truck that’s giving out free Haagen Dazs, only to find out that there is no ice cream truck and no free ice cream.

2 Likes

Muchas gracias.

There is nothing wrong with trying.

This Pokemon thing is getting out of hand.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Pokemon Go Gameplay

We have to look at this craze as a business opportunity:

Taipei, Aug. 23 (CNA) Travel agencies at the upcoming Taiwan International Tourism Expo will be seeking to ride on the popularity of the mobile game Pokemon Go by offering travel packages aimed at players, the expo organizers said Tuesday.

At the fair Aug. 26-29, participating travel agencies will offer tours that promote hunts for Pokemon virtual monsters in various parts of Taiwan and in other countries, the organizers said at a press conference.

The company is confident that there is a niche market for Pokemon tours, she said.

“Local Pokemon Go masters probably have already collected all the monsters they could in Taiwan and are now casting their ambitions worldwide,” she said.

To customize the Pokemon theme trips, diverse travel routes and portable Wi-Fi routers will be provided, according to Teng.

However, just like the northern light tours, which do not promise an aurora experience, Teng said there will be no refund or compensation if tourists fail to catch monsters.

Veeeeery niche market. Not even sure how the tour around cities to catch Pokemon went.

Anyone see any changes in hot spots? Didn’t Beitou police file a complaint about the hot spring park area getting out of hand?

I went to my local farming spot at Living Mall and it’s about the same amount of people as always.

A college mate posted a video around his house in Muzha, where some valuable critter showed up. Total chaos. Right in the middle of the street.

I also saw a video from Daan Park. Looks like Night of the Dead.

I went to Daan Park on Monday, it is scary there with some pathways not lit up.

Surprisingly, didn’t catch much, but the park on Yong Kang Street was hoppin.

I got me one of those hiking lamps you attach to your head to use when I walk the dog at night. Saves you from stepping in yucky, icky, sticky, mushy, squishy and alive things. Very recommended.

I have no idea what the heck this is on about. Maybe we should split the thread, have one for the nerds to discuss their little spacies game and one for real men (and women) to bitch about Pokie while bench pressing 260 kgs with their pinkies.

1 Like

I am not a nerd but as I am in the news business, and this is making the news, I need to keep an eye on it. I prefer it greatly to the -gulp- Yellow Ducky and other similar crazes.

I have not been a serious gamer since my Street Fighter days. The first and last cellphone game I downloaded is a catch a kitty one, which I was recommended as “relaxing”. But since I am trying to reduce my time on line -:laughing:- I do not partake a lot.

I think the game looks interesting, but it is even more interesting to me the behaviours and business opportunities associated with it. I already go outside a lot to walk with my doggie, and sincerely, since he is quite a handful, I cannot play and walk. Heck, I cannot even listen to music. So if you see a crazy atoga singing to herself while walking the dog, that’s me. Hence, I cannot criticize the Pokemon crowd so much. But I can still make fun of them when they cross the line.

I find it weird that it’s us the players whose posts are moved to the new Pokemon Go gameplay thread, when this original thread was created by the people who wanted to play the game before it became available in Taiwan. Shouldn’t people who can’t stand others having different interests from themselves get a thread of their own instead?

I’m not sure there’s a difference. I split the thread and gave titles that I thought reflected the differing nature of the conversation within. I didn’t intend to imply that one or the other conversation was more valid or important than the other. I think each avenue of discussion does merit its own thread though. It’s at once a game many will be interested in playing, and a social phenomenon. Having strategy tips etc. collected in one place would seem helpful too.

Just a missed opportunity for a new thread title, like the “Too sufficiently manly (womanly) for Pokemon Go” thread.

I actually considered “Thread to Bitch about Pokie” but I think this may be the better approach :slight_smile:

Thanks guys. I’m sure if I actually played it I’d enjoy it. I play Asphalt 8 religiously every day. That said there are some deeply disturbing aspects to gameplay within Taiwan that point to a society with seriously misguided priorities. Can anyone really make the argument that mobs roaming the streets in search of mythical beings is any way for civilized people to behave? (tongue in cheek, don’t bother answering that)

Well, it is not only Taiwanese society, but rather a worldwide thing. Here, the mobs are more noticeable -or rather, created- because population density does not allow for a lot of room to play. I mean, it is not a few dozen players lost in some cul de sac in suburban Whetever, US. I wonder how mayor cities are experiencing the gamer groups and gamer culture.

In summary, in Taiwan it is more obvious because we are a lot of people crammed in little space.

No arguments. As this discussion ultimately turns into a discussion on the purpose of life, and that’s gonna take forever, offering no real answers in the end, and cuts into time I could use to find me a Snorlax.