Pokemon Go Taiwan discussion

You think? I turn out from the MRT right into our street and it looks like a night market. I was concerned. Is it a fire? A gas leak? Are we evacuating?

Nope. It was just the Pokemon crowds -we have a gym nearby at the church park thingie- meeting up with the crowds coming to dump the garbage.

2 Likes

Exactly how I feel. I thought they are some sort of mafia or a gang waiting for me.

Note, it’s in an alley too, so I feel like I’m gonna beaten up or something.

And they all come in different ages.

1 Like

Here it is a wide two lane road with parking on the sides. Felt like a protest march.

And it is mostly not all ages, but rather middle aged adults and 60 year old abeis and amahs and 30 year olds. One or two kids, most often none.

1 Like

I haven’t played this game several months ago.:joy:

I actually thought this game died years ago.

Apparently. NOT.

It flares up every now and then, kind of like herpes.

2 Likes

The game simply changed its core mechanism. People now gather around gyms before the hatch of a legendary pokemon and join team raids. Every month there would be some events that get fans out on the streets. Still playing, but usually forget to open the app unless it’s event time. We can hatch eggs without openning the app now.

Pretty sure it was just released a couple of years ago.

1 Like

Blockquote

Can’t remember exactly when, but if my memory serves me right, 3-4 years ago? That was the time when my fb is flooded with this and I can see people walking in groups in the street of Lexington, KY (where I was working at that time). After a couple of months, I don’t see them anymore, so I just thought the game died.

It wasn’t released in Taiwan until some time late 2016, as indicated by the beginning of this thread. It definitely died down quickly soon after release, but I believe they went through some changes and the diehards are still at it.

1 Like

As Aunti Peng mentioned, mostly abeis and amahs.

1 Like

I think the demographics fall into two categories. The over 60s play the game every day. The over 30 but under 40 play it about once a week.

What about the over 30, but under 40 that play everyday?

Last night the weather was fine…so people drove their scooters to our street to play. I really hate that. Idle motors, noise and air pollution…It is a nice ever, can’t you guys walk?!

Most in my neighborhood walk and bike.

This is how I see it, these 40+ year olds could be sitting at home wasting their life watching the news. However, they’re out and about. I see them socializing too. I see that as a win and can overlook the idle scooter motors.

It was young folk, probably 20 to 30, on scooters.

Older folk are wiser and walk. Or bike.

1 Like

From what I understand, doesn’t this game hide pokemons in obscure places?

Not anymore. The game style has changed, and now rare pokemons are hatch in gyms and can only be obtained through team co-op raids.

There are also RPG like missions and tasks. Completing some of them would given you Mewtwo or other legendary pokemons.

With the Let’s go Pikachu/Let’s go Evee game on Nintendo Switch, you can now trade your pokemon across these games. So there’s a pretty decent effort by Nintendo to keep the games going and reinvent itself.

My Pikachu from LGPE:

It’s pretty cute, but from my experience of having 2 cats, I keep wondering how on earth those glasses are staying on pikachu’s face when her ears are all the way up there.

Grandpa has got an endorsement deal.

1 Like

And there is going to be another Pokemon Event a la Tainan in October, this time in New Taipei City. You can catch South American Pokemon without having to get on a plane for 32 hours!

Now the Metropolitan park in Sanchong is the main location but it will spill to 60 other locations, including Bitan and Tamsui, all in New Taipei.

1 Like