[Poll] How Long Will DJ Trump Stay in Office?

You need to get a better history book.

2 Likes

Chris youā€™re only focusing on microeconomics, but youā€™re missing macroeconomics, which is more important.

Truman: There was of course a huge, painful post-war recession to correct the bubble that war created with high inflation, low salary wages, I never heard anyone cite Truman on economics. Growth after war as economy turned normal towards production for society needs and not war materials, despite Trumanā€™s messing with it. But the recession was necessary to correct execesses that war created.

Recession in 1980 was correction of bubble that was 15 years old starting with Johnson to Carter (and Nixon was terrible on economics), and it was Volcker who raised interest rates to 20% starting the recession, he was appointed by Carter, but he did the right thing. After this and combined with Reagan super taxcuts, the economy roared and stayed high until 2007, due to the bubble created in 2004. Reagan was right on Macro and Micro economics, and we Americans rose in prestige.

Clinton had a Republican majority shutting down the government to make him comply with financial issues. He kept a strong dollar, easily maintaining Reaganā€™s revolution ā€“ He did the wrong thing micro, but did the right thing macro ā€“ macroeconomics trumps microeconomics.

Bush is interesting, he did the right thing microeconomically in cutting taxes, but he was all wrong macroeconomics, he weakened the dollar and interest rates lowered to 1% for 1 year. Macroeconomics trumps microeconomics.

Obama, there is no prosperity, he did the wrong thing micro and macro. We experienced unemployment under Obama, not Bush. And overall growth is only 1.5%, very weak, Bush was 3.5%.

4 Likes

Chris: just because two things happen at the same time doesnā€™t mean theyā€™re related. There are many factors that might lead to recession or prosperity.

Governments spend money very poorly because they basically donā€™t care what the results of spending are. Individuals and corporations have a lot more skin in the game, so they spend more carefully and get much better bang for each buck. There is plenty of empirical research on this.

Obviously, governments need a certain amount of money for essential government tasks, but the present 40% GDP that governments absorb is just ridiculous. Cutting taxes forces government agencies to be more careful with what they have (at least in theory) and frees up more public wealth for reinvestment. However, other public policies might easily swamp those beneficial effects.

1 Like

This thread is way off topic (length of Trumpā€™s time in the White House, remember?).

Let me throw in some random thoughts.

After less than two weeks of TrumPOTUS I already feel exhausted. And this will be going on for four years?

More than anything, I feel Trump is an embarrassment. Keep aside his policies. Listening to this man-child with a vocabulary of a (letā€™s be generous) 10-year old is deeply disturbing, and quite frankly, unbearable. Very, veryā€¦ many, manyā€¦ big, good job, sad, tremendous (oh yeah, three syllables; well done Donald). During the campaign I thought it was a good tactic to attract low-intelligence voters, but now it seems like heā€™s just not that intelligent himself or he is simply lazy when it comes to learning and using his brain cells.

The whole presidency is like a bomb, the fuse of which is already lit. Now the questions are: How long is the fuse, when will the big bang occur, how big will the bang be, will step someone on the fuse or pour some water over it, before itā€™s too late? A very likely scenario is that he will over-react when being challenged or offended. No way he will be responding in a rational manner weighing all the pros and cons of his action. Heā€™s all about acting now, thinking later.

One thing he must stop doing ASAP his sending tweets. Unbelievable that no one has been able to convince him that itā€™s not a good idea for a president to use Twitter the way he does.

God help us all

Could be 8 :wink:

Anyway, things were messed up before Trump took over the Presidency. Syria is in a civil war now for years, Russia got involved and looked like Hillary would have taken a confrontational approach with Russia there and with tanks rolling into Polland perhaps elsewhere.

ISIS type of attacks in the west seemed to be on the increase, along with refugees which ISIS has promised to use as a method to bring more terrorism to the West. China is ever more belligerent, building islands in the South China seas.

Relations with Israel were at an all time low and Iran looks to be upping its military capabilities. UK is in a mess as it tries to figure out how to implement Brexit without getting shafted by the EU (which it canā€™t because the EU hold the majority of the cards).

Dangerous times. Maybe it will all turn to shit with Trump as president. Maybe not, we will have to wait and see. However how we got to this point in time can hardly be blamed on Trump, he inherited a mess, caused by politicians and leaders that went before him.

1 Like

I have a difficult time imagining that this president will solve any of the problems you mention.

Iā€™ve heard all this before, applied to Reagan, he was just a cowboy, an entertainer, he didnā€™t talk like superior cosmopolitans should, like us hoity-toity. He talks like common people, ewwwww. Also applied to Bush Junior.

This too is getting so trite. Again, applied to Reagan, his critics said he was gonna be dangerous and push the nuclear button because of his simplistic cowboy thinking, but didnā€™t work too well this time. The tactic was first applied to Goldwater in 1964 (see video below ā€“ its so old, its in black-and-white), the first ā€œConservativeā€ who wanted to take a tough stance on Soviet Union, who lost in a landslide. He lost because Democrat Lyndon Johnson was listening and spying on their conversations and campaign strategy and was able to address his points before he made them, effectively nixing his campaign. (Nixon did it too, but the Democrats caught him. Unfortunately Fox didnā€™t exist at the time to catch Johnson.)

[quote]One thing he must stop doing ASAP his sending tweets. Unbelievable that no one has been able to convince him that itā€™s not a good idea for a president to use Twitter the way he does.
[/quote]
This is one of the greatest things, because he can talk directly to the people without fake news twisting and contorting it to try and paint a different narrative. It bugs some people that the establishment, the old guard has been broken to pieces.

2 Likes

I give him the benefit of the doubt, I really do. But whenever he opens his mouth, itā€™s so obvious. Itā€™s not that he is different, unconventional, an outsider, etc. etc. I am in fact in favor of that. But I see him as outright dangerous. Not because heā€™s necessary a bad guy with ill intentions, but because, for whatever reason, he doesnā€™t seem to know the effects of his actions. He has the power, but not the brain power. Marc Cuban called him lazy. Lazy is dangerous. Tweeting is dangerous. Is his phone even secure? What if hackers manage to post on Twitter instead of him? Itā€™s mind-blowing, potentially world-blowing. It baffles me that his supporters are so adept at completely ignoring his shortcomings. Just wait until he starts playing with the military, just wait until he weighs the nuclear options, when heā€™s challenged by foreign adversaries and needs to react quickly.

you perhaps need a reliable source which has been pro Trump right from the start. Even before Breitbart and Mercer got onboard.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/

Trump is far from stupid. Dangerous, maybe.

How can you not apply this to Hillary? Top secret material stashed away on her homely computer in the basement ā€“ all because she was trying to hide all the illegal hobnobbing and currying favor with influential heads of states donating to her Clinton foundation in exchange for favorable treatment were she to become President. You talk about dangerous, effects of actions, secure lines, hackers, shortcomings, reckless!

Iā€™m sorry, I canā€™t sympathize at all with your post. I used to have top-secret clearance, I know the community, the concerns, which I wholeheartedly share, I mean if it were meā€¦normal people go to jail for that stupidity. Hillary is an obvious demonstration of incompetence at all levels. But, hereā€™s the thing: itā€™s not so much incompetence as it is deliberate politics! Sheā€™s not ignorant, she knows what she was doing, what is legal and isnā€™t, like any seasoned criminal. Trading US interests for her own aggrandizement of political power.

I just have a total outlook on dangerous than you do. When it comes to these things, which I think are ultra-important, Trump is much more trustworthy than Clinton has demonstrated herself to be. This stuff is still under FBI investigation precisely because itā€™s dangerous effects of actions and reckless and illegal, with possible or definite hacking involved on an unsecure computer.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œhannes, post:148, topic:157785, full:trueā€]
Is his phone even secure? What if hackers manage to post on Twitter instead of him? [/quote]

I do remember reading that once he was sworn in, he had to give up his personal phone for a secure one as President. So we know his phone is at least more secure than Hillaryā€™s e-mail server.

Hillary is gone. Hillary is done. She probably got what she deserved. Letā€™s stop comparing Trump with her. Thatā€™s yesterday.

Letā€™s talk about in what kind of mess the US is right now, just two weeks into the new presidency.

Whatā€™s with the rush to sign all the executive orders, for example? I donā€™t known, is this what new presidents always do? Wouldnā€™t it be wiser to take it step by step with careful planning and evaluation before each of them, especially considering that there are so many positions still to be filled in the new administration?

Thatā€™s a more reasonable argument than most. But heā€™s not working in a vacuum here. Forces are maneuvering to block him. If he moves too slow, heā€™ll get mired down in obstructionism.

Besides, thereā€™s a limit to planning when problem hasnā€™t been faced before. This guy has a track record of experimenting and learning. Throw a lot of shit at the wall and see what sticks.

Also, a great way to force the enemies to self-identify.

Now when Odammitcare was rammed throughā€¦ I wonder how many raised this objection? They were not heeded.

1 Like

Trump will expedite government in a way weā€™ve never seen it expedited before. Heā€™s an outsider, he doesnā€™t do business as usual and tradition and ceremony. He knows how to do business in the real world, heā€™s practical, and he doesnā€™t like the slow, red tape that government is known for. I think what you are seeing isnā€™t starting with a bang ā€“ itā€™s his standard operating procedure.

As to the visa vetting program, he is trying to protect Americans as soon as possible from Obamaā€™s lax vetting procedure, so he needs time to vet these people that Obama failed to do. The game plan was to catch would-be terrorists off guard when they might be out of the country, until a judge interfered.

He doesnā€™t want to be like Bush, who was slow to change Clintonā€™s policies, which led to 911. That will not happen again with Trump, he wonā€™t let history repeat itself, heā€™s on that one right away. Heā€™s busy keeping us safe.

You do believe that, do you?

Absolutely. Why wouldnā€™t he be? Thatā€™s one of the reasons he was voted. Curbing illegal immigration and vetting legal immigration is just one of the legs of that safety.

Living in Taiwan at the moment, Iā€™m a bit more concerned about ISIS expansion under Obama. I do wanna see Trump reverse that and take them out as soon as possible. Theyā€™re all over the map by now.

Heā€™s doing what he ran on, which is atypical of elected officials.

Itā€™s a mistake to look to government to solve all your problems, but keeping out murderous crazies is a legitimate function of the Feds.

Trumpolini is inded the only man with the guts to raise high the walls of the police state and keep the collateral damage out where they belong. In this thousand year religious war weā€™re mired in thereā€™s no room for pretensions about democracy and human rights any longer. We need action!

His antagonism toward allies and enemies around the world will only make Americans less safe.

Trump is Allahā€™s gift to ISIS. The things he is doing and will do make the ideal recruiting tool for them, giving potential recruits credence to Islamist claims that America is the Great Satan.

Look for increasing anti-Americanism around the globe.

Drone lynching is a far more potent recruiting tool than keeping out the survivors of drone lynching.