Possible Deportation

A couple of years ago I was living and working in Taipei. I had a job in a kindergarten in the morning and a Bushiban in the afternoon. One morning the kindergarten was raided by the police, where they took some pictures of me. I had to stop working at the kindergarten and just continued to work at the Bushiban. But about four months later my boss said that they had to pay and fine and that I was going to be deported as my ARC was being cancelled. So instead of getting deported I left the country before anything was sent to me or I was offically deported. Not having any experience with this before I have some questions:

1, I assumed that I was banned for 5 years. Does that mean banned from entering the country or banned from working?

2, How could I find my visa status?

3, Do you think I could enter the country again if I was married?

Most appreciated if anyone could enlighten me.

1. Banned from entry, which means banned from working as well.

2. You could ask the Bureau of Immigration (or whatever they call themselves these days). BUT, that means that you will put yourself on their radar, if you’re not already there. It depends on where you live – it may be cheaper in the long run for you to risk entry without asking first. But if you are talking about being married (to a Taiwanese, presumably) – then the right to enter Taiwan is a serious thing and probably you wouldn’t want to play around. It might be better, in that case, to try to get things straightened out officially. Don’t ask me exactly how to do that, though. :ponder:

3. To a Taiwanese? To a foreigner? I’m not sure how a banning would affect your chances of obtaining a JFRV if you were married to a local. Marriage to a foreigner overseas probably wouldn’t affect anything unless you are female and got a new passport in a new married name and there was nothing to tie your new identity to the old one.

[quote=“ironlady”]1. Banned from entry, which means banned from working as well.

1. You could ask the Bureau of Immigration (or whatever they call themselves these days). BUT, that means that you will put yourself on their radar, if you’re not already there. It depends on where you live – it may be cheaper in the long run for you to risk entry without asking first. But if you are talking about being married (to a Taiwanese, presumably) – then the right to enter Taiwan is a serious thing and probably you wouldn’t want to play around. It might be better, in that case, to try to get things straightened out officially. Don’t ask me exactly how to do that, though. :ponder:

2. To a Taiwanese? To a foreigner? I’m not sure how a banning would affect your chances of obtaining a JFRV if you were married to a local. Marriage to a foreigner overseas probably wouldn’t affect anything unless you are female and got a new passport in a new married name and there was nothing to tie your new identity to the old one.[/quote]

I think that being married to a local reduces the ban to 1 year. So, if that time has elapsed and you are already married, you should be in the clear.

If you get married, and one year has elapsed, again you should be in the clear. But there’ll be some special paperwork.

Oh, and the marriage would have to be registered in Taiwan.

I would suggest calling from wherever you are and not giving your name to ask for info. Call the NIA and talk to one of their info agents. They are pretty helpful these days.