Possible to rent nice studio for 10,000NT in Taipei?

Is it possible to find a furnished/semi-furnished studio for 10,000NT in Taipei? I’d honestly like to have an extra bedroom, but I doubt I would be able to find one for 10,000NT.

I’m trying to figure out if I can even support myself in Taiwan. I have previous experience working at a college in Japan, a BA, and I’m getting a teaching license (very soon.) I’ve been given an offer to work at a private school for about 60,000NT. They will give me a monthly housing allowance of 10,000NT and a monthly bonus of 10,000NT. I don’t know if I should be asking for more or hold out for something else. BUT I have to make monthly payments a little over $1000 back in the US for my college loan debt.

My friend claims that she is able to send home $2000 every month. I can’t understand how she’s able to do that with the 18% tax and have any income leftover.

I might be wrong but 60k with 10k housing and 10k bonus is a great deal in terms of the job market here.

10k for a small studio is possible, for sure. Extra bedroom? No way. Kitchen? Probably also no way. Taiwan is a tiny island with the population of Australia so housing is at a premium.

18% tax only applies to you if you stay in Taiwan less than 183 days within a given calendar year. Once you surpass that number, your tax rate returns to the regular amount paid by tax residents (5.x% for a 60k salary). The extra tax you paid will be returned to you when you file your taxes. It’s a pain in the ass but it’s the way they have it set up.

So whatever you do, do not come to work here with less than 183 days left in the year! Because if you do, that extra 13.x% will never be returned to you (since you never qualified as a tax resident).

Okay. I haven’t been able to find much of anything on 591, unless I want to share an apartment or just have a room.

Yeah, I understand. Problem is if the 18% tax is deducted from my paycheck every month for the first 183 days. I don’t see how I would be able to make my loan payments and pay for my rent, insurance, groceries. I’d like to have a little money leftover as an emergency cushion, as well.

I doubt you will find a 10k place in Taipei. Even in Xindian, 10k will either get uyou a very old place, or a more modern one but pretty small. They have bunches for 8 k up in my area -lots of tech companies, lots of singel workers- with own bathroom/shower, full TV/cable/Internet setup, laundry facilities. That would be the minimum.

If you book a studio, make sure the electricity is paid for independently, not from an “average” of what everyone in the same floor/unde rthe same meter is using. Some decent landlords have the independent meter per room setup or charge a flat rate. But an average is problematic and highly variable. So avoid this setup.

60k is tight but yes, remember there is also National helath Insurance to pay -after the fourth month. Housing then 10 to 15k - 15k gives you a bit more leeway. Where is the school located if I may ask? That can give us some ballpark figure of the rent. Food and transportation will be way cheaper than Japan, especially if you eat outside. It will be harder to save at the beginning, but the cost of living will work on your side.

Remember to get internatonal insurance for the first months before your NHI kicks in.

You can explain the situation regarding the 18% to your prospective employer. Actually employers can choose to deduct this or not and if they trust you they’ll give you the dignity of not taking the money.

Look into options along MRT lines or with good bus access that are farther from the city center. I used to live in Shenkeng, southeast of Taipei, and it was brilliant. Fresh country air (as far as Taiwan goes) within 20 minutes bus ride of the Xinyi district (new, fancy area with Taipei 101 etc.)

My 2c though: if finances are tight, then tighten your belt. Live in a small place. Last month I looked at a room with shared bathroom for 5k at Dingxi MRT which is actually a very accessible area with low rents. It’s borderline post-apocalyptic but it’s got its charms. You want to pay off your debts as fast as possible, right?

As others have said, 10K with an extra room is probably non-existant. I’ve been looking at 591 lately and it’s slim pickings.

If you’re budgeting 10K, definitely consider sharing an apartment. There’s both good and bad to it. Here’s a short list I’ve observed:

Good:

• You have roommates to help you out with settling in and getting you up to speed with the norms/culture
  • Probably 2-3 times amount of space if you were to rent a stduio
  • Shared utilities
  • Better amenities
  • Cheaper rent

Bad:

• No privacy if you have roommates
  • Shared utilities (you have the habit of turning off the light when you leave the shared living areas, your roommates tend to leave them on)
  • Lots of shared apartments will be older 20-40 year old houses that will not have too many safety measures in terms of a security guard

i would add to those recommending sharing as an option. if you don’t want to pay much but still expect to find a decent place i think its the only option. you can also have a shared living room and kitchen, which is great. eating out every day isn’t going to help when you need to save.

for 10k a month you are not going to find anything more than a bedroom with a bathroom attached to it in some way. been there and done it! actually i have good memories of that time. life was simple! i think either of these options are good if you lower your expectations. if you want a good place then its going to cost a lot more. at least double.

I think if we know the location of thge private school we can offer more accurate input as to where to look for a place.

One more thing: in Japan, commutes of 1 hour are considered reasonable. In Taipei, people frown at a bus/MRT ride longer than 20 minutes. Convenience is key.

Please do not take a shared apartment, say, in Elephant Mountain just because it is within Xinyi district -where you wil need a mini bus to take you down the mountain -mini bus only available once every 30 minutes- then take the MRT to school. Or variations thereof. That is not what locals do, and there is a reason. It is not convenient. Convenience is all around us. Do not go making your life harder because you saw a “great” place. There is surely another great place withing walking distance/one ride away from your workplace.

Being in a shared place means you will have company and help when you are in such a situation. Visa pickles, romantic adventures… roomates will share want it or not.

One more thing: Taiwan gets hit by typhoons regularly. Consider that you need a Plan B and easy transportation in cases like that. Check for humidity in the new apartment.

Elephant/Wuxing L. 600 is great but you really do need a scooter. With a scooter you’re 7 minutes from 101. Without a scooter you’re in a world of pain.

Newbies on scooters…nope. Especially if they have never driven a scooter before. One coming from Japan and Japan’s traffic…let’s say he’ll be in for a shock with Taipei traffic.

And again, he’s 7 minutes away from Taipei 101… where he takes the metro to work say around Kunyang or Liuzhangli… or worse, drives there? I have a personal moral reason to say nope to 30 minutes of pain each way every day for several years.

Scooter in Chiayi where no buses available? A must. Scooter in Taipei… debatable. Scooter in Tianmu to go to school in Yangmingshan? Okish. Scooter for a newbie to go down say Yingpin road in Zhonghe every day? Hell no.

[quote=“Icon, post:4, topic:158581, full:true”]
I doubt you will find a 10k place in Taipei. Even in Xindian, 10k will either get uyou a very old place, or a more modern one but pretty small. They have bunches for 8 k up in my area -lots of tech companies, lots of singel workers- with own bathroom/shower, full TV/cable/Internet setup, laundry facilities. That would be the minimum.

60k is tight but yes, remember there is also National helath Insurance to pay -after the fourth month. Housing then 10 to 15k - 15k gives you a bit more leeway. Where is the school located if I may ask?
[/quote] Yeah. 15K would be better. Maybe, I could negotiate an extra 5000 for my housing allowance. However, I’d still have to figure out how to cover the security deposit. Where is your area?

My school is in Da’an. I figure I won’t be able to live close to the school. :sweat: I don’t mind if the place is small, as long as I have a window (or two) and it doesn’t look at a wall. I’d really like to have my own bathroom and a kitchen/kitchenette.

What do you mean by NHI after the fourth month?

[quote=“Lee_Kohl, post:5, topic:158581”]
You can explain the situation regarding the 18% to your prospective employer.
[/quote] That’s a good idea. [quote=“Lee_Kohl, post:5, topic:158581”]
You want to pay off your debts as fast as possible, right?
[/quote] Yeah. I also want to be able to save some money; I don’t have any retirement money because I’ve been putting all of my income toward my debt (after living costs.)

I really want to go to Taiwan, but I just don’t want to make myself crazy over every single penny I spend and live in a closet. Right now, I’m torn because I want to go to Taiwan but I wonder if I’m better off teaching in Japan or getting a job in the US.

[quote=“Icon, post:10, topic:158581”]
Newbies on scooters…nope.
[/quote] I’m not too sure about scooters, after seeing a guy wreck his scooter in the middle of an intersection.

That’s why I can’t understand how my friend is saving what she is. She eats out everyday.

There are many different levels of eating out in Taiwan. If you’re prepared to eat garbage then it’s quite easily affordable.

Don’t let all the posts about long commutes get to you. 30 minute commutes suck and locals don’t like it, but if you don’t mind, why should you have to conform to the norm?

If school is in Da An, you can consider areas such as Xinyi Anhe MRT, Dong Men MRT and around Shi Da (NTNU).

@Icon will always always stop anyone from getting on a scooter. I don’t really suggest it because it does add to the pollution and it is rather dangerous if you aren’t used to the traffic norms. However, it’s one of the most convenient ways to get around (and also one of the cheapest). What a regular bus/MRT commuter spends in 2.5-3 days, is how much I spend in a week on gas for my scooter.

Well, you might want to ask her…what she’s eating. You CAN eat out everyday and save. If your friend doesn’t eat much and orders dried noodles and a small soup, I can see how one can be saving money and sending 2K USD every month. That meal adds up to no more than 3-4USD. Three meals of those items everyday and your friend is spending 10-12USD.

Yeah, I’ll ask her. She’s not very good about giving out specifics…

Is it true that it’s cheaper to eat out rather than buy groceries and cook at home?

Basically. Because cooking for one gets boring. I cook for myself for breakfast and lunch, then evenings do a sandwich or eat out, mostly never spend more than 100 ntd -about 3 to 4 USD. Weekends I can eat better, say, a Westernized lunch would be on the 200 to 300 ntd ball park -10 USD.

But that is Xindian. Dan and basically Taipei is more expensive. For example, if I eat lunch around work, which is close to Taipei Main Station, if you want to avoid true garbage, then it is 200 to 300 NTD for what is 50 to 100 NTD less in Xindian.

Reaaaally depends on what you’re buying to cook at home.

If you’re buying from the international super markets and/or cooking mostly western style meals, eating out could be cheaper. However, generally, western style means (at home and at restaurants) tends to be more expensive.

If you’re hitting the wet market in the mornings and buying fresh groceries to cook asian style meals, it tends to be cheaper than going out to eat asian style meals.

depends on what you wanna eat. recently i bought an oven so i have been eating meat, sweet potatoes and broccoli for my main meals. its been cheaper for sure. the cheapest meals to eat out are those buffet restaurants. i can’t take those anymore.

Once you live here you can draw up a budget and eat within your means. I prefer shopping at organic stores, and eating out at vegetarian places, for example. Costco can help saving… or overspending. You have to learn where and when to shop. Yes, your local 711 has cheese that looks like plastic, so go to Costco or if you feel like splurging, City Super then. There are 30 brands of olive oil alone at Jason’s. If you get all depressed because Wellcome -yes, they spell the name like that- has canned beans for 80ntd, maybe there is a sale somehwere where they are available at 60 ntd or less.

Part of the fun is to explore, taste, try. Enjoy.

I strongly disagree.
You don’t want to live out in Wuxing/Elephant.
It’s terrible.
You’ll be miserable.
Don’t even think about it.
At all.