Preparing for a Typhoon - What You Need to Know :facebook:

Among the damages and losses, totaling tens of billions of Taiwan dollars, caused by meteorological “natural disasters” in Taiwan each year, those wreaked by typhoons accounted for around 70 percent. Typhoons hit the island mostly in the second half of the year but can also arrive in other seasons. When the Central Weather Bureau (CWB) issues sea and land typhoon warnings, the Ministry of the Interior will immediately establish the “central disaster management and relief center” at the National Fire Agency (NFA).

For detail, check iff.npa.gov.tw/enfront/life.php?tr_id=24&id=452

oh i was just wondering if you guys get paid when your school is closed. If you guys are hourly but the school gets paid anyway for its cancelled classes. Then you SHOULD be paid as well. Find out how the school charges for its classes. And if they refund classes that are missed. If not , and the school is paid for them anyway?? NO reason they shouldnt pay YOU as well. EVeryone on salary loves a typhoon day cuz its a day off WITH PAY :slight_smile:

just my two cents, not to start you guys rioting or anything??? :unamused: :unamused:

I like to keep a good stock of cup of noodles, some other dry goods and a bottle of scotch for the odd day that I may get stuck inside because of bad typhoon weather. Just because it seems like the rain and wind isn’t too bad, don’t forget about potential falling debris.

I realize this thread has been here for a while & more than likely nobody will see this (or it’s already been posted elsewhere), but I thought it might be helpful to note:
The U.S. Navy’s Joint Typhoon Warning Center has changed its URL:
metocph.nmci.navy.mil/jtwc.php

EDIT: D’oh - yep… Page 4 of the Typhoon 2008 thread Guess I shouldn’t have started at the end :slight_smile:

[quote=“sjhuz01”]I realize this thread has been here for a while & more than likely nobody will see this (or it’s already been posted elsewhere), but I thought it might be helpful to note:
The U.S. Navy’s Joint Typhoon Warning Center has changed its URL:
metocph.nmci.navy.mil/jtwc.php

EDIT: D’oh - yep… Page 4 of the Typhoon 2008 thread Guess I shouldn’t have started at the end :slight_smile:[/quote]

Thanks sjhuz01, I did already have a mirror (which still works) next to the original URL listing in the OP, but I have now changed the primary URL listing to the one you have kindly provided.

I’m completely mesmerized by only two thoughts.

1. Starting a Typhoon rescue business with a few rubber ducks. I could save people. I don’t have to charge… in Taiwan, “ren ching” is worth more than money. Now where to put them in the other 346 days…
  2. Starting a biz called. “Typhoon safe parking”. A rooftop in the outskirts of Taipei. Park your expensive black car here during the typhoon for $2000NT. But what happens if the whole building is blown away?.. gee

[quote=“JohnnyT”]I’m completely mesmerized by only two thoughts.

1. Starting a Typhoon rescue business with a few rubber ducks. I could save people. I don’t have to charge… in Taiwan, “ren ching” is worth more than money. Now where to put them in the other 346 days…
  2. Starting a biz called. “Typhoon safe parking”. A rooftop in the outskirts of Taipei. Park your expensive black car here during the typhoon for $2000NT. But what happens if the whole building is blown away?.. gee[/quote]Johnny, you’re onto something. Keep on working on those ideas. There is big dinero there.

Does anyone bother taping an X on their windows before a typhoon? What is it that the tape is supposed to do? No Taiwanese seem to be able to tell me precisely why they do it, except for the usual circular logic “It must work because everyone else does it.”
It does look kind of cool though … reminiscent of photos of WW2 London during The Blitz.

[quote=“monkey”]Does anyone bother taping an X on their windows before a typhoon? What is it that the tape is supposed to do? No Taiwanese seem to be able to tell me precisely why they do it, except for the usual circular logic “It must work because everyone else does it.”
It does look kind of cool though … reminiscent of photos of WW2 London during The Blitz.[/quote]

When I asked I was told that it prevents large shards of glass from shattering and dismembering people should a large flying object happen to hit your window. Don’t shoot the messenger. :unamused:

We oughta send this one to Mythbusters.

Check tropicalstormrisk.com/ . They will even show potential typhoons long before JTWC does.
Just register to their email alert thing for the Pacific Area.

I’m off topic here, but does anyone know where I can find a tide timetable of the island?

cwb.gov.tw/

Click on: English → Marine → Tidal Prediction → Click on a City.

cwb.gov.tw/

Click on: English → Marine → Tidal Prediction → Click on a City.[/quote

Thanks eng . I’ve been pushing Google to the limits on this one. :wink:

Plenty of:
beer
water
pow mian
bittorrent d/ls or other videos

If you have a balcony, clean it up, and then sit out and watch for roofs to blow off. It’s amazingly entertaining as long as it’s not yours.

Don’t forget to pull the washing machine drain hose from the drain on the balcony. Voice of experience.

I always filled half a bathtub of water. Made sure balcony drainage is cleared and all things removed from balcony that are loose (ie bring in all potted plants). Move all electronics to safe zone away from windows and sliding doors of glass, in case those break.

Have batteries ready. And hang on for the ride.

Yeah … and probably not a good thing to go for a ride… the rainjacket has a tendency to act like a spinnaker & jerk you all over the place.

And as long as that piece of sheet metal, flying along at 150 kph, doesn’t cut you in half.

It really is better to be indoors.

And as long as that piece of sheet metal, flying along at 150 kph, doesn’t cut you in half.

It really is better to be indoors.[/quote]

Call me an (idiot, or) adrenalin junkie… but if one can hazard the streets of Taiwan on a scooter day in and day out … spending a dozen minutes or so (until one is soaked & cold) on the balcony watching & experiencing a typhoon is a thumbs up :thumbsup: IMO.

Of course, you may get cut in half by a flying piece of sheet metal … so hold the beer can up & keep your back against the sliding glass door… hopefully between the two of them & the overhang of the above balcony, you’ll be cool. :smiley: