President Chen Shuibian shot: Breaking News!

With a fire work.

He’s not dead though.

so it was a fire work not like a bullet right??

http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=taiwan+president&c=&ei=UTF-8

cos damn look at the search results…

well that yahoo report is well off the mark if it was just a firework

Apparently the truth’s not clear yet.

"Reports: Taiwan President , VP Injured, Possibly Shot

Wire Reports
Friday, March 19, 2004; 2:10 AM

TAIPEI, March 19 - Taiwan President Chen Shui-bian and Vice President Annette Lu were in hospital after being shot on the campaign trail on Friday, television reports and a lawmaker accompanying them said.

But CTI cable news quoted unidentified police officials as saying the 53-year-old president was injured by celebratory fireworks that are traditionally ignited as the president motorcade passes by.

Chen was rushed to hospital in the southern city of Tainan, a presidential official said.

TVBS Television said he was wounded in the stomach. Vice President Annette Lu was shot in the leg, Wang Hsin-nan, a lawmaker from Chen Democratic Progressive Party told TVBS.

The bullet hit the vice president in the knee first, then the president,?Wang said. Chen had sustained a deep 30 cm (14 inch) wound across the stomach, said Wang, who was travelling in the president motorcade in southern Tainan."
washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar … Mar19.html

Sympathy vote’ll wrap the election up then.

Does anyone remember “the president’s brain is missing”?

By a pistol in Tainan. You could see the bullet hole in the windshield of the car.
Chen hit in stomach, but wearing a bulletproof vest. VP Lu hit in leg.

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,114620,00.html

[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 801#154801](President Chen Shuibian shot: Breaking News!
Isn’ this where all the election-related stuff has been?

offical…chen and lu both shot…no danger and both are conscious

reported shot on yahoo 20 minutes ago

taiwan cable news reporting him shot

TAIPEI (Reuters) - Taiwan President Chen Shui-bian was shot while campaigning on Friday, a day before a presidential election, but was not in critical condition, his spokesman told Reuters.

Chen had been rushed to hospital in the southern city of Tainan, officials said. Vice President Annette Lu was also wounded, but her condition was not yet known. “It was a gunshot but he is not in critical condition,” presidential spokesman James Huang told Reuters.

An official at Chi Mei hospital in the president’s hometown of Tainan said Chen’s motorcade had raced into the compound, which has now been closed off.

“The bullet hit the vice president in the knee first, then the president,” Wang Hsin-nan, a lawmaker from Chen’s Democratic Progressive Party told TVBS television.

Chen, 54, had sustained a deep 30-cm (12-inch) wound across the stomach, said Wang, who was traveling in Chen’s motorcade.

Chen was able to walk into the emergency room unaided while the vice president required assistance, one witness told television.

The incident occurred at about 1:50 p.m. (0550 GMT), officials said.

Chen, of the Democratic Progressive Party, which espouses an aggressive policy of independence from China, is battling for re-election against Nationalist Party leader Lien Chan, who favors a conciliatory approach to the island’s giant foe.

Taiwan’s third presidential elections to be held under universal suffrage were set for Saturday.

Officials of the Central Election Commission were not available to comment.

Official? Show me. The only thing I’ve seen is on Reuters, and the report there said that there has been no confirmation. This will make the election very interesting if he was actually shot.

what the f***???

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/03/19/taiwan.chen/index.html

He was shot. THe bullethole in the vehicle carrying him is clear as day.

DAMN Pan-Blue.

I wonder what the vote backlash will be like tomorrow!!!

well i just saw the news conference by the pres’ spokesman in chinese and english…he was quite specific it was a bullet wound…

According to a recent BBC report the situation is very unclear. The DPP and GIO are saying the injuries were caused by a firecracker. However, a DPP lawmaker at the scene is reported to have said the injuries were caused by a bullet.

Hopefully they will work out exactly what happened in the next few hours.

He was shot. THe bullethole in the vehicle carrying him is clear as day.

DAMN Pan-Blue.

I wonder what the vote backlash will be like tomorrow!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/03/19/taiwan.chen/index.html

If CNN say so, it should be pretty reliable to assume they have been shot.

The good news is both are in non-critical conditions; the bad news is we’re gonna have to watch Mike (I have no eyes) Chinoy on CNN.

I just told the mainlanders in the office about this. Their response: “Yeah, so? We [PRC] probably did it.” I’m afraid that if it was the PRC, then more shit could follow in the next day. They wouldn’t just shoot Chen and then let the election go on as planned. I hope I’m wrong. We’ll all know soon.