Proposals for Taiwanese flag

I can’t believe this has never occurred to me before.

Latvia has one awesome internet domain! How does
one register for a website called WWW.HANDBAGS.LV ??? :popcorn:

My newest design, based on the fifth flag added to the New Zealand flag referendum through a petition. That design features just the top half of my design, but has an additional black color to represent the Maori people instead of just the red white and blue.

I thought if I do a mirror flip of the top, then I can get my Aboriginal eye of the ancestor design (mata).

Alternative version:
formosan_flag_tricolor_rhombus_long

3d flag
net3d_formosan_flag_tricolor_rhombus

some people don’t like the red white and blue palette, so i tried to mix things up

net3d_formosan_flag_tricolor_rhombus

n3d_formosan_flag_tiffany_rhombus4

n3d_formosan_flag_tiffany_rhombus3

traditional aboriginal mata colors:

net3d_formosan_flag_traditional_rhombus

i think this looks good, but unfortunately the colors evokes the NAZI flag a little bit…

net3d_formosan_flag_traditional_rhombus2

I think you’re starting to get the hang of it.

I personally do not care for it (or the fifth New Zealand flag proposal on which it is based), but have to admit that the basic design passes vexillological muster.

Why don’t I like it? To begin with, it looks like a signal flag. The colors and shape don’t seem to mean anything, but are fairly generic flag design elements. This is a shame, in view of all the indigenous symbols that might have been incorporated.

The New Zealand version seems to reference a red hill. I have no idea what this alludes to (I thought Australia was the one with the red hill…?), but it was apparently popular enough to bump the design into the top five, so I assume there is something behind it. Your design copies the NZ proposal–which is ironic, since one of the problems with the current NZ flag is that it looks so much like Australia’s. (But perhaps this one won’t be chosen for NZ. In fact, the existing flag is polling at about 75 percent support.) Anyway, if one flag copies another, there should really be some sort of cultural or political reason for it.

I actually put the thing into google image search right after the first red white and blue version, and got no similar pictures :stuck_out_tongue:

The newest green one said the similar photo is the South African Flag

As for other aboriginal symbolism, I rather liked this one I found at Duona village.

Thanks to my color-blindness (protanopia), I did not realize that the “Red Peak” NZ flag proposal had four colors instead of three–I saw the black triangle as blue. Having learned something about the flag’s origins, I now understand its appeal better, although it still looks a little too logo-ish for my taste. Perhaps voters will “write in” (draw in?) alternative flag proposals, such as the celebrated Laser Kiwi.

Nyan kiwi is equally awesome

Without the black, the red peak flag would essentially be the North American vexillology flag upside down with red and blue switching places.

The flag most similar to my latest design would be Saba’s flag, which looks like this:

1 Like

Now that New Zealand’s flag referendum has moved past the first stage, many Australians are also demanding a flag change.

First, New Zealand’s first stage winner:

Australia’s proposals:

I did a flag based on this one a while back…

Didn’t know the Australians were planning to reuse the Eureka Flag at the time I was ripping off it.

All Australians designs look very professional.

1 Like

nownews.com/n/2016/02/15/1995421

A tea shop in China, whose selling point is tea from Taiwan, created a new Taiwanese flag. Although I doubt it’s original, it’s more likely that someone have created such a flag and the tea shop copied it.

It looks like a cross between the KMT emblem, the red flag, and the stars from the flag of the Macau Special Administrative Region turned 90 degrees.

1 Like

saw two sites about making a flag of Hong Kong, or the history of Hong Kong’s flag:

Bauhinia Astrology – The Symbolism of Hong Kong’s Flag
liongrass.hk/blog/?p=871

Hong Kong Flag & Emblem
universalminibuilders.wikia.com/ … read:16085

both equally amusing. didn’t know they had a flag contest in 1987 with 7,147 submissions, and ended up with 6 finalists, only to be all rejected by the National People’s Congress. The NPC commissioned one of the panel judges Tao Ho to create a new flag, but instead he just ripped off one of the 6 finalists.

I have to say, that tea-shop design is pretty good–very professional looking. I hope somebody can find out where they got it from.

if you really like it, I’ve drawn it myself.

1 Like

Fiji is also in the process of selecting a new flag. Referendum will begin in March, and new flag will be hoisted by July.

I also am happy to learn about the preferential voting system used in New Zealand’s first round referendum. Even though the Red White and Blue silver fern had the most votes in the first pass, the Blue White and Blue ended up the winner. Although both were designed by the same designer.

Guess I’m not the only one. There’s another open Taiwan flag design competition on facebook, this by by a group of young designers. It’s good to get the dialogue started.

facebook.com/media/set/?set … 444&type=3

Idea: cut the tea-shop flag in half (?) vertically, keeping the hoist half, and rotate this 90 degrees (putting the stars on top). Optional variation: then change the upper (red) portion into a red-and-blue sunburst, with each of the 5 stars affixed to one of the red rays. (Too Japanese or Tibetan?)

Well, if you are choosing a new flag for China, maybe that’d be fine. Taiwanese wouldn’t use the yellow stars on their flag if they have a choice. If they have a use a variation of that flag they have some say in it, they might prefer to put the sun on top. The original designer of that mock flag probably thought about the implications of having one symbol at the bottom half, that’s why he opted to use a vertical design.

If we have to choose a mash-up flag, I think I would just go with my original design:

Oh sure, anything like that would only be usable for a Taiwan SAR. A ROT flag would have to be completely different. We should consider these to be two separate flag-design categories.

But your mash-up flag…?! Isn’t simplicity considered a vexillological virtue?

Well, if you are choosing a new flag for China, maybe that’d be fine. Taiwanese wouldn’t use the yellow stars on their flag if they have a choice. If they have a use a variation of that flag they have some say in it, they might prefer to put the sun on top. The original designer of that mock flag probably thought about the implications of having one symbol at the bottom half, that’s why he opted to use a vertical design.

If we have to choose a mash-up flag, I think I would just go with my original design:

[/quote]

That looks like a Florida design to me.