Puff pastry

I was in Carrefour (Xinyi, DongXin Road/Civic Boulevard) tonight. They have the soup bowl stuff. Two brands/types I think, in different areas of the shop.

Hey folks, would anyone be nice enough to point where to buy puff / flaky pastry nowadays in Taipei ? I have never saw it in Jason nor Citysuper or Carrefour.

I recommend against buying the puff pastry available locally in Taiwan. If you find something of better quality that what Iā€™ve seen, though, please do let us know (including info on its ingredients and how it performs).

Well so far I have asked my mother to bring 2kg from France last week. It can freeze very well. She is buying it at a nearby bread shop in Paris. Was wondering if this could work in Taiwan :slight_smile: I will ask some of the french guys working in Lalos see if they can sell some to me under the rug :slight_smile:

Bump.

So I got puff pastry, I guess, from the Tianmu Carrefour - itā€™s actually labelled ā€œPĆ¢te FeuilletĆ©e Bladerdeegā€ on the Carrefour packaging, with the Taiwan-added label having ā€œPuffed Pastryā€ and ā€œę³•åœ‹ę·ŗå±¤ę“¾ēš®ā€. Itā€™s not sold in the freezer, but rather in the same area as cheeses. Itā€™s sold in a long triangular container, with the pastry wrapped around a tube inside. 230g in weight.

And, um, well, what should I do with it? Iā€™m not entirely sure what to expect once I unroll the thing - it looks like itā€™s pre-rolled in rounds, but Iā€™m not sure if thereā€™s just one round or more in there. Iā€™m not unrolling it until Iā€™ve got something planned. I gather itā€™s not the puff pastry normally called for in cookbooks - the recipes I have that use puff pastry mostly talk about cutting it into different shapes and sizes, and this seems to lack that flexibility. Current plan is to use a Middle Eastern meat/raisin/pine nut pie recipe for this - are there any warnings before I embark on something foolhardy?

Excellent ! This is probably similar to the one we found in France although I couldnā€™t find this reference.
On my side, I use it mostly for dessert: tarte tatin, king pieā€¦

Recently, I have been making it.

And after cooking with it: turns out itā€™s one 30cm diameter disk. I cut it in four quarters and used it for Ottolenghiā€™s Red Pepper and Baked Egg Galettes, and was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out - when I put those flat pieces in the oven, I thought there was no way they were going to puff up, but inflate they did. The recipes calls for four 6" squares, but four 6" radius ā€œquartersā€ worked well enough.

I have never cooked with puff pastry before, but as far as I can tell it tasted a heck of a lot better than most of the soup-top or appetizer puff pastries than Iā€™ve had in Taiwan. I didnā€™t pick up any of the ā€œOh boy can I ever believe thatā€™s not butterā€ aftertaste that often shows up with baked goods here.

You could probably find it in stores that cater to restaurants and commercial establishments. There in almost every major village. Iā€™ve find a lot of ready made puff pastry topping for soup. Iā€™ve also seem sheet of frozen pastry. Iā€™ve found these stores much cheaper than supermarkets.

Some of those stores also have bulk dry goods where you can get flour, and baking powder and other essentials very cheaply at a fraction of the cost.

So I guess Carrefour is still the only place to go for puff pastry?

I havenā€™t noticed it in Carrefour either for a while now.

Iā€™ve actually seen puff pastry in some really random, very Taiwanese-only stuff type grocery stores.

They use them on top of the cream of corn (or whatever that is) soups at ā€œAmerican beefsteakā€ places (the NT100 beef on top of noodles with and over easy egg and pepper sauce on a sizzling tray)

1 Like

Good news, found it at Carrefour Miramar . But in frozen section. And not the Belgian version mentioned above.

1 Like

Ah, interesting. Thanks! I donā€™t look in that section often enough - there are occasional unexpected gems.