Pumpkins

Bit late now. :wink:

Yeah, pity. What with all the foreigners here looking for pumpkins, I could have had, erm, about $858 in my pocket by now.

Easy to grow, though, and great weed suppressors. Grow me a big one for next year and Iā€™ll give you $50 for it. :laughing:

Seriously, in the Wellcome on the first floor here they had these tiny ones you could hold in the palm of one hand. They sold like hotcakes.

For those of you whoā€™ve got your pumpkin, take it to the next level.
20 seconds of fun, 2 hours of cleaning up.

Yeah, probably var. Baby Bear - arenā€™t they cute? I actually have a packet of them and completely forgot to plant them.

Jackpot! I can finally retire to my pumpkin patch.

There are organic pumkins for $80/kg at Grateful Growers, here: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ā€¦ 6#p1235806. Weā€™ve gotten some good pumpkins from them, and will be making a few pumpkin pies to sell in November.

Spotted at the Wellcome on Anhe.

$35 for the tiny ones.

Man i do love pumpkin pies !! Soon as it becomes a rage in Taiwan there will be pumpkins up the kazoo.

Good grief, tommy, you love pumpkins that much? :astonished:

Personally I think pumpkin pie tastes awful, but there is a thai concoction (made with a similar-but-different kind of squash and coconut milk) thatā€™s really good. If anyone knows what Iā€™m talking about, let me know what itā€™s called - I havenā€™t seen it for a while in restaurants and Iā€™d like to have a go at making it.

Incidentally, thanks for the Grateful Growers link, DB. Looks like they have some nice stuff - thinking about doing their ā€˜farm tourā€™, if I can be bothered to go down to Nantou.

not all pumpkin pies are created equal. In fact I think its quite challenging to get a great pumpkin pie, but when you do, its really really good :slight_smile:

Great info here. Do any of you fellow pumpkin/fall/Halloween lovers know anywhere in Taipei I can find candy corn??? Wellcomes, Carrefours, Breeze, SOGO and the seasonal stores donā€™t seem to have it. Obviously this isnā€™t an essential itemā€¦ I donā€™t want to give up hope quite yet. Invite to my Halloween party and free candy corn to the first person who knows :slight_smile: !!!

Dunno but Iā€™d try Wellmanā€™s first.

I went there tonight and there were only 3 left. I picked up 2 of them, including the one with the eyes taped on in the pic.

Been looking around, havenā€™t seen any good leads lately. Where can I find medium/large pumpkins in or near New Taipei?

I have seen quite a few at the traditional markets. How about the flower markets? They have veggie sellers too.

So, standing here at 22:40 at the former Jasonā€™s in Tien-Mu. Itā€™s now some French looking name. Mia Cā€™Bon?

No large sized pumpkins to be had. Just some small pathetic, painted and over-priced ones.

Anybody seen any real, full sized pumpkins? Costco? RT Mart? Other places?

2 Likes

Wanna make a pie?

Pumpkin pie, pumpkin spiced latte, pumpkin milkshake, pumpkin soup.

Only North American smooth skinned orange will do. The Taiwanese squashes are total shitte.

1 Like

Buy American canned.

You only catch up now? We posted this like 2 months ago.

1 Like